Filling, lower calorie meals

Options
What is your favorite hearty meal that doesn't have a gazillion calories? I'm not talking super strict, but I'm looking for healthier meals for my husband, but that still will fill him up. Things along the lines of a hearty bowl of chili, etc. He is a big guy, trying to lose weight, and complains that whenever he tries to cut back on quantities of food he ends up feeling ravenously hungry all the time (and then ends up snacking the rest of the night, and feeling frustrated by the lack of progress). I think even cutting out calories in small ways like this would help his progress a lot. Thanks!

Replies

• theWODdoll
    theWODdoll Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Also, you can look up healthier recipe swaps for favorite meals. Like protein pancakes or Paleo friendly meals work, just to name a couple :)
  • schw0807
    schw0807 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We had this Stuffed Pepper Hot Dish at my house this week and everyone liked it. I did half cauliflower rice and half regular rice and I think the different textures made it even better. I also did 4 green peppers instead of 2 green and 2 red because I'm cheap like that. https://popculture.com/healthy-living/2016/02/18/recipe-stuffed-pepper-casserole/
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Black bean vegetarian chili is a big hit with the guys at my house.
    https://www.kitchentreaty.com/simple-instant-pot-vegan-black-bean-chili/
  • jilleebee77
    jilleebee77 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I usually go for the one at the store (1 bowl is 380 calories and i usually never finish end up eating it 2 days)...I have not made the recipe myself.

https://www.thebalancedberry.com/quinoa-broth-bowl/
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    You might want to look through this thread about Volume Eating.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10563959/volume-eaters-thread/p1
  • francinefig
    francinefig Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the ideas and recipes! Nice to have a few new things to try!
  • babydaisy81
    babydaisy81 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Speaking of chili, which is always a hit here with ground turkey, I often make a big batch of refried beans in the crockpot. It's basically one bag of dried pinto beans (around $1) and 6 - 7 cups water with spices, I do burrito bowls with rice or lettuce or even just the beans, and then we can also get a few other meals out of it as well, like tacos or a dip or quesadillas. Freezes well too.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I agree with the people who have said to bulk things up with veggies. I do this in order to get more volume for lower calories.
    For example, tonight I am making chicken and prawn Pad Thai. It would be a ridiculously small portion in order to fit in with my calories, so I add in a grated carrot, about a quarter of a shredded white cabbage and a packet of bean sprouts to bulk it up.

The family doesn’t even notice that half of their “noodles” are veggies, and they love it!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Stews and casseroles are great. There are a lot of good recipes on sites like Skinnytaste diabeticconnect.com/diabetic-recipes AllRecipes, Cooking Light, etc. Just google "Healthy casseroles" or "Healthy Stews"
  • Copper_Boom
    Copper_Boom Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower rice is filling and low in calories (approx 90 calories for an entire Birds Eye steam in bag). With one tablespoon of soy sauce at 10 cals, it’s been a good option for me to bulk up a meal as a side.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Cabbage is also a good veggie to bulk up a meal- or any greens as sides - smaller starch with less meat then bulk up his plate with 2 or 3 veggie sides for each meal. i even do this for myself-
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Stews and casseroles was what I was going to say too. That's the best way to incorporate more veggies if you want to.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    LKArgh wrote: »
    I doubt you can manage an other adult's weight loss and I doubt your husband's lack of progress is caused by the meals you serve. Is he researching this? If you are trying to find solutions for him, it will not work.

You ignored this feedback. Which is a shame. When you take on this responsibility for him, you also become responsible for his successes and failures.

Which is not to say he needs to do the actual cooking. That may or may not be reasonable. But he could just as easily have posted here himself. And he could get online to to research recipes and ideas that might suit his needs.

Yep, definitely a chore. Sometimes so is breathing but you can't do that for him either.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    When I look at pictures of my meals now that I'm at goal weight. It is clear to me how I lost my weight. My plate is filled with different vegetables, 1.2 cup of rice or roasted red potatoes, with a salad bowl next to my plate so colorful with all that's in there. My protein is always four ounces. So, I ramped up my plant based items and ditched the processed fatty foods. I eat carbs.. but no bread at home ..only when I go out to dinner.