Rough burn estimate for a TRX routine

Options
Kind of an at home circuit training for when I don't get into the gym for a couple of days. Here is the plan for a TRX workout. 20 reps each and switch.
  1. Hop (squat/jump without going deep into squat)
  2. Row
  3. Chest press
  4. Bicep curls
  5. Atomic push ups
  6. Tricep curls

Wash, rinse, repeat...
About half an hour

I weigh 155. I will use a fairly steep angle.

Estimates I find browsing around vary drastically, like 300 to 700 calories/hour.

Replies

• cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Call it zero and you'll be fine.

Otherwise, take the lowest estimate you can find because it is probably the most accurate.
    Most people tend to underestimate the amount they eat while also overestimating how hard they are exercising.

If you insist on being "accurate" then you are out of luck if you aren't measuring something like carbon dioxide output.
    Maybe a heart rate monitor could give you an estimate but it doesn't mean it is correct.

That is what the word "estimate" means.

You don't have to like it, but I am not wrong.

Also, "woo" means too good to be true, so there is that.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I use 8 calories a minute for intense treadmill (actually ARCTrainer now; I think it is more intense at the settings I use). The machine's readout is more than 12. I am thinking 5 or 6 calories a minute for this, which would put me at the low end of estimates. I tend to go the other way from the crowd on estimating. I keep losing in maintenance until I make an effort to gain some of it back. That's why I keep trying to come up with reasonable numbers.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Far less than 300 for sure. Compare it to jogging which would be about 300/30minutes. You’re prob burning closer to half that. *I know nothing about you, average person guesstimate here*
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    IGbnat24 wrote: »
    Far less than 300 for sure. Compare it to jogging which would be about 300/30minutes. You’re prob burning closer to half that. *I know nothing about you, average person guesstimate here*

I agree; the figures of 300 to 700 are per hour. Using 5 or 6 calories a minute, the 30 minute routine will be 150 to 180.

BTW, until a couple of weeks ago, SUP was my primary exercise/burn. I was doing 20 miles or so a week on a 9'9" all around inflatable.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    3-5 calories per minute, depending on rest time between sets.
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    3-5 calories per minute, depending on rest time between sets.

Only "rest" would be on each end of the atomic push ups just because it takes longer to go between it and other exercises or visa versa. Still just a few seconds. One of the nice things about TRX is how quickly you can change to the next exercise. They just have to be ordered so you aren't relying much on the same muscles for too long.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I log it as either strength training or circuit training, depending on overall pace. If you are moving rapidly with few breaks, I'd use circuit training.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Calisthenics level is my vote.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    if you are just doing the TRX with no additional cardio - probably in the 2-300 range - if you were doing additional cardio mixed up between i would go higher (i.e. when I do my TRX class we do the dips and then we'll do a set of sprints or similar)
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I log it as either strength training or circuit training, depending on overall pace. If you are moving rapidly with few breaks, I'd use circuit training.

Circuit training is exactly what I am trying to emulate. I may add more hopping between arm exercises if the arms need short rests. I am becoming something of a circuit training junkie; it fits my fitness goals and keeps me focused.
  • cqbkaju
    Options
    Interesting that he asked for input but seemed to reject every answer that implied it was probably less than or equal to 300 calories, eh?
  • CarvedTones
    edited October 2018
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    Interesting that he asked for input but seemed to reject every answer that implied it was probably less than or equal to 300 calories, eh?

Not sure how you arrived at that conclusion.
    IGbnat24 wrote: »

I agree; the figures of 300 to 700 are per hour. Using 5 or 6 calories a minute, the 30 minute routine will be 150 to 180.

BTW, until a couple of weeks ago, SUP was my primary exercise/burn. I was doing 20 miles or so a week on a 9'9" all around inflatable.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Maybe you and I have different interpretations of I agree
  • cqbkaju
    Options
    Mea culpa.

I missed the part where he dropped it to 1/2 hour.
    But I still think 150kcals/30 min would be on the high-end, not the low end as is implied.

That is my assertion which is backed by the experiences like guys in Basic Training and triathletes.
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    Mea culpa.

I missed the part where he dropped it to 1/2 hour.
    But I still think 150kcals/30 min would be on the high-end, not the low end as is implied.

That is my assertion which is backed by the experiences like guys in Basic Training and triathletes.

It's actually moot; I decided it was low enough not to log it. So I am actually following your original advice. There was a complication to my plan (in the original post, note that I said "my plan" not that I was doing this yet). I got down to #5 - atomic push ups. Supposed to do 20 reps. Before I got to 10 I died. Fortunately they have internet on the other side...

I need to do some more research on good TRX exercises that I can do for a while or mix in more "regular" exercise to create more of a circuit training equivalent. I was unable to get in a good rhythm without wearing myself out too quickly. Part of it is leaning too aggressively on the curls and presses.
  • cqbkaju
    Options
    Makes sense. Do what works for you.
    That is what matters in the end.

Good luck.