Am I doing this right?

Hi I’m 32yo and weight 275lbs.

I’ve been calorie counting and put a max at 2,300. I’ve also been tracking my macros as well. I’ve been trying to keep my carbs under 120 and trying to get as much protein as possible. The app and a few hours of research helped me set this goal for food intake. So hopefully it’s close to being correct. Lol

The problem I’m having is that I’m only getting around 1,300 to 1,600 calories a day. (If that’s even a problem). With all this protein and cutting out most carbs and sugars I don’t get hungry as much as I used too. (Hopefully it’s fine/ healthy)

My goal in all of this is to lose about 80 lbs, 5.714 stone or 36.28 kg (what ever you use). I also I want to do it healthy as that will build better habits so when I do reach that goal it will make it easier to maintain.

Hopefully that helps.

Replies

• MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    If you eat at a calorie deficit you'll lose weight. The higher the deficit the faster the weight loss. If you are not hungry when eating 1300-1600 cals, good for you.
    Good luck!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

I’ve been calorie counting and put a max at 2,300. I’ve also been tracking my macros as well. I’ve been trying to keep my carbs under 120 and trying to get as much protein as possible. The app and a few hours of research helped me set this goal for food intake. So hopefully it’s close to being correct. Lol

The problem I’m having is that I’m only getting around 1,300 to 1,600 calories a day. (If that’s even a problem). With all this protein and cutting out most carbs and sugars I don’t get hungry as much as I used too. (Hopefully it’s fine/ healthy)

My goal in all of this is to lose about 80 lbs, 5.714 stone or 36.28 kg (what ever you use). I also I want to do it healthy as that will build better habits so when I do reach that goal it will make it easier to maintain.

Hopefully that helps.

You might want to pick up a food scale and weigh out your portions for a couple of weeks. It can be rather eye-opening how off eyeballing or measuring food in a cup can be!

If you just changed your diet within the last few days, it can take a little time for your body and appetite to get used to new foods. So if you did just start, this could be a temporary transition period. If you have been eating this way for a few weeks, you should be losing weight super fast eating so little.

If you weigh out your portions and you really are eating that little - no, it isn't healthy. Eating too little (and therefore losing weight too fast) can cause a host of negatives, like losing muscle, being malnourished, and hitting the wall hard. A diet isn't healthy if it causes you to undereat. The absolute minimum an adult male should be eating is net 1500 cals, and that's still too low for most.

So my suggestion would be to pick up a food scale, give it a few days, and go from there. Best of luck!

All of that^^
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

Hopefully that helps.

You might want to pick up a food scale and weigh out your portions for a couple of weeks. It can be rather eye-opening how off eyeballing or measuring food in a cup can be!

If you just changed your diet within the last few days, it can take a little time for your body and appetite to get used to new foods. So if you did just start, this could be a temporary transition period. If you have been eating this way for a few weeks, you should be losing weight super fast eating so little.

If you weigh out your portions and you really are eating that little - no, it isn't healthy. Eating too little (and therefore losing weight too fast) can cause a host of negatives, like losing muscle, being malnourished, and hitting the wall hard. A diet isn't healthy if it causes you to undereat. The absolute minimum an adult male should be eating is net 1500 cals, and that's still too low for most.

So my suggestion would be to pick up a food scale, give it a few days, and go from there. Best of luck!

Spot on!

Don’t forget to log cooking oils, beverages, dressings, milk/coffee cream, flavourings/some seasonings.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    I'd recommend adding in a couple of healthy fats to add a few more calories to your diet. Avocado, almonds or whatever nuts you like, cheese or peanut butter on one slice of multi-grain bread. I found I lost weight even though I ate some bread and exceeded my daily carb allowance by a little.

MFP recommends that men eat no fewer than 1500 calories a day. So amp it up. I lost weight too fast and lost muscle mass, despite the fact that I was lifting weights. Take it slowly and log your food intake as accurately as possible.