Has anyone ever had this??

Options
I am about 290 lbs (highest weight was a little over 300 lbs). My question is has anyone had their arms be different sizes? My right arm measures about 2-3 inches bigger than my left. I have no pain or anything like that. Also my fat roll on my stomach (my fat apron) is also bigger on the right side than my left side. I have been doing some research and wonder if it could be lymphadema. So would love to hear from others to see if anyone else has this or am I some kind of freak....lol... also if you have had that problem and you lost weight did it even out? I see my family doctor on Monday and am going to show him and talk to him and see what he says. Thanks for the help!!!

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It's probably just your body trying to find places to store fat and neglecting to demonstrate concern for balance.
    At my highest weight I had a fat bulge on the right side of my neck. There was no symmetric feature on the left. As I started losing weight, that particular bulge was the first thing that disappeared.
  • dmcnur
    dmcnur Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Our body is almost never symmetrical and will have variations. I have left arm lymphedema after having a full axillary clearance and left breast lumpectomy due to breast cancer. With lymphedema the arm will vary in size due to many factors including becoming too hot, doing too much with the arm or simply wearing a watch or bracelet on that arm and compromising fluid movement through the limb. The swelling is secondary to the damage to the lymphatic system from the surgery and lack of lymph nodes (though it is possible to be born with primary lymphedema) causing lymphatic fluid to build up in the effected limb. There is generally some degree of pitting edema present.

I am inclined to think that what you have is uneven fat distribution or another cause, rather than lymphedema, but would advise a visit to your doctor to discuss your issue and check for lymphedema. If it is lymphedema it will respond to various management therapies, including lymphatic drainage massage and the wearing of a compression garment, but cannot be cured. However losing 78kg has made a big difference in the size of my arm and has made life more comfortable for me.

I hope that this is helpful to you.

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    One of the things that pushed me into being ready to lose weight was that the asymmetry of my excess fat was getting worse as I gained more and more weight.

People aren't symmetrical. You may never have noticed the asymmetry if you hadn't taken measurements.
  • MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Get on a serious diet a find gym classes that will keep you motivated and that fat will melt off
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I think it's normal to have some asymmetry. It's pretty common for breasts to be different sizes too, with the left breast tending to be larger than the right. It's not obvious unless you're focused on it, though, and like someone above said, it's going to be more obvious the more excess weight there is.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    It's normal. My right side is generally bigger than my left, especially my arms. This natural asymmetry people have becomes more apparent by measurements if you're obese (I was/am too). I don't even need a tape measure to tell that my right arm/calf are bigger.