DNA kit to test best diet and exercise

Options
I just purchased a DNA kit that will test what diet and exercise program is best for my body. Has anyone done one of these and did the results make a difference when followed?

Replies

• LaReinaDeCorazones
    LaReinaDeCorazones Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Only DNA test I did was for ancestry, never heard of this other 1
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I've been curious about what it could tell about physical makeup but I don't think it is really going to be of much assistance diet wise. I did 23 and Me years ago and that has a very few of those kinds of details, like it told me I am more likely to be a sprinter than an endurance type of athlete, which I'm honestly not sure is true but don't know how I am supposed to test that without a big old experiment I just don't have the bandwidth for. At some point if I have a spare $200 I will probably do a fitness one though, maybe after things develop a little more considering the above comment about studies.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    OP, any "diet"/exercise program that gives u results uses the same principle, calories in less than calories out, or CICO/a calorie deficit.
    If I eat for my blood type with a calorie deficit, do low carb/keto with a deficit, eat "clean" with a deficit, eat raw vegan with a deficit, or eat only twinkies with a deficit, I will lose weight.
    If I was maintaining without exercise and added exercise without changing my calorie intake, I'd lose weight. Also, if I maintained my same activity level (even if it involved sitting on the couch and watching TV all day) but decreased my intake to achieve a deficit, I would lose weight.
    So, if you do whatever your DNA kit says for u to do and it works, it proves nothing, other than you were in a calorie deficit. I supppse you could still call it a success, but you could have that success without paying for the DNA kit.
    I think eating what they recommend but with a deliberately high calorie surplus would be more "proof" bc then you would see that even "healthy" foods in excess/calorie surplus cause weight gain.