Zumba--how to log?

SammyLynn010
SammyLynn010 Posts: 293 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
So--I bought my HRM and wore it to Zumba--6 mins in it falls off--stupid chest thing! LOL

So--how do I log an hour of Zumba?? I got a good work out--or so I think.

Thanks!

Replies

• msciccone1
    msciccone1 Posts: 288 Member
    Well it all depends because some people dance just comfortable others like me like totall kill it in order to get a high burn. I have seen from others on here numbers ranging from 550 to 900. It all depends on where you were. Hope that helps :bigsmile:
  • JensLogin
    JensLogin Posts: 74
    Here's a suggestion after poking around a little bit. They have a dancing, aerobic, ballet, twisting, etc. category. I would think that Zumba falls into the aerobic dancing part. Just a thought.

By the way, my sister is a Zumba instructor - I would agree with you, you got a good workout!

Good luck!
  • SammyLynn010
    Thanks to the both of you! I sooo missed Zumba--though I did look a fool since I hadn't been there in 6 months! haha
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    My friend logs it as "Slimnastics - jazzersize" her total calorie burn is pretty close to mine with my HRM.
  • SammyLynn010
    My friend logs it as "Slimnastics - jazzersize" her total calorie burn is pretty close to mine with my HRM.

The Dance, aerobic one gave me 266 and the slimasitics gave me 333... wonder which one I should go with??? hmm
  • I created an exercise (like you do with food if it's not in the database) and named it Zumba. When I first started it, I burned about 350 calories in an hour. I've been going regulary and am now up to over 600. If I were you, I would underestimate your calories to be on the safe side.
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349

The Dance, aerobic one gave me 266 and the slimasitics gave me 333... wonder which one I should go with??? hmm

Hard to say, it really does vary from person to person. Because me and my friend are in the same class I know she's working just as hard as I am (I'm the instructor) and because I know she can do high impact, I rarely let her get away with the low impact steps :bigsmile:
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    I agree that I would underestimate, but when I searched many websites, most of them say if you are working hard, you burn between 700-850 per hour. Hope this helps! Isn't zumba so much fun!
  • msciccone1
    msciccone1 Posts: 288 Member
    I agree that I would underestimate, but when I searched many websites, most of them say if you are working hard, you burn between 700-850 per hour. Hope this helps! Isn't zumba so much fun!

This is only true if your heart rate is between above 90% which means you are really kicking it to the max. I say this because I burned 833 calories last Saturday with Zumba and my heart rate stayed between 90-94% depending on the song and the level of movement. My teacher is known for keeping it high interval all the time. Now there is also the difference with teachers. The new teacher I experienced yesterday was almost beginner going to intermediate class and I really really had to just try harder for myself because the class was too slow paced and I only burned 649 calories. It all depends on a: teacher and her routines (high impact or low) and b. how hard you pushed.

Either way Zumba is amazing and it really makes you have fun :D
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    If there was ever an exercise that demanded a HRM, it's Zumba.

I've done Zumba the last four nights in a row and the numbers were 654, 1110, 562, and 801 according to my Polar FT60.

The calorie burn can really be all over the place. Some nights you just have more energy than others, so that's a factor. Some classes run a little shorter, some a little longer. And different instructors make a huge difference.

It's super fun though. Even when I'm tired and I can't get my heart rate to play nice, I just try and forget about it and enjoy the class.
This discussion has been closed.