Weight won't budge

I officially need help. The scale won't seem to move. I've been using MFP for about 2 years and have been able to control my weight fairly well. I was recently deployed - while I was deployed, I worked out 3-6 x per week and tried to watch what I ate and was generally in the 145-148lb range. I returned from my deployment in June and basically took a month off. I didn't work out and I ate whatever I wanted. After I settled in and returned to work in July, I was 153. I started Insanity (this is probably the 4th time I've done Insanity) and started counting my calories again. I'm 5 weeks in and I now weigh 152. I'm confused as to why I'm having such a hard time losing weight. I've been able to lose weight fairly easily in the past and haven't ever had the scale stop like this. I reviewed my food diary from when I was smaller and I don't feel like its much different. It wouldn't be such a big deal if I wasn't getting married in Oct!
So, I'm asking for help. If someone could look at my diary (I know I'm not perfect with my diet, but don't feel I should be stalled like this) and let me know if they have any suggestions or see something that I don't. I do have a food scale and measure what I'm eating.
I'm thinking of cutting out pasta, bread, potatoes and rice. And I'm thinking of stopping Insanity and doing a weight routine instead..... please let me know what you think. My wedding gown is a size 8 and I wouldn't be able to fit in that right now! My stats are 5'6", 153 lbs and I'm 35 years old.

Replies

• cnotefwb
    cnotefwb Posts: 43 Member
    Oh and PS...I'm looking to lose about 12 lbs.
  • lbuseth
    lbuseth Posts: 41
    Are you eating back your workout cals? I would trying eating more natural foods and less processed foods. Cutting out pasta, rice, bread etc will help but try brown rice about a 1/4 of a cup) sweet potatoes. This one will sound a little drastic but cutting out drinking will help also. I stopped drinking about 5 weeks ago and have lost 7lbs since. So, maybe try not drinking until the wedding. If you want any food ideas etc let me know. Good luck!
  • adenium11
    adenium11 Posts: 173 Member
    I would decrease the amount of carbs you are eating, and try increase your protein. I know that's hard when you eat on deployment but that definitely will help. Insanity is a great cardio program Ive been told ( I personally hated all the jumping..lol ) however could you eliminate doing that daily and just to a few days a week? Then add weights on top of that? I find if I don't do both weights and cardio, I don't get anywhere. Also, increase your water intake, not sure if this is an issue for you but its a great assistance to flushing the system!

Best wishes!
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    I hear you... I have been trying to lose 15--25lbs for a while now and it will not budge. I keep redoing my numbers, looking at where to cut food, logging my food -- ignoring it for a while etc. I think weights and cardio are what is needed but it just comes off slowly and there will be set backs. deployments help to stay focused but they are also high stress so your body will fight a little because of that. I say do your measurements (not just weight) and track those numbers to see your success. That's what I have started to do as well. Also, outside of insanity you can do circuit training and mix in your cardio at different times of the day. I read that helps to keep your calorie burn going. again, I wish I had a success story to go with this advice. I am reading a lot to find my niche as well. Best of luck and stay safe!
  • juang3
    juang3 Posts: 212 Member
    Your diet doesn't really look bad, a little heavy on sugar maybe. What about your sodium intake? I notice there are some things I know have a high sodium in your diary. Try looking at your sodium for a week and see if you can keep your level at the minimum or set a minimum of 2000 or 2500 mg a day. Hope that helps!
  • I don't know how to access your diary. I want to start by saying THANK YOU for your service and that YOU ROCK! Now - the weight issue. " Between the ages of 35 and 40, the body declines in height, bone density and muscle mass. As our total body mass decreases, the amount of calories the body needs also decreases." ( Livestrong.com ) With that in mind - you counter that with (just a fact) calorie burn and muscle mass. When I was 16, my friend lived 1.5 miles from me - and we walked EVERYWHERE we wanted to go. When I finally got my first car at 18, I gained 10 pounds in a year, and losing it became a effort simply because my daily life was requiring substantially less calories. Older and working instead of messing around all day - 7 more pounds. Started going to dance clubs - down by 10. Got a boy friend - no more going out dancing - gaining weight again. Life style changes just DO effect our weight. What I did at 16 just to get around BURNED CALORIES, Once I eliminated that daily activity from my equation with out modifying my intake of calories - it's just science - math - accounting. (interest rates - metabolism. Calories eaten - deposit - calories burned - with draw, this is one account you want to balance or stay in the negative!)Really look at your life through honest eyes. Take everything into consideration. Hope you do great, and have a wonderful wedding!!
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    I officially need help. The scale won't seem to move. I've been using MFP for about 2 years and have been able to control my weight fairly well. I was recently deployed - while I was deployed, I worked out 3-6 x per week and tried to watch what I ate and was generally in the 145-148lb range. I returned from my deployment in June and basically took a month off. I didn't work out and I ate whatever I wanted. After I settled in and returned to work in July, I was 153. I started Insanity (this is probably the 4th time I've done Insanity) and started counting my calories again. I'm 5 weeks in and I now weigh 152. I'm confused as to why I'm having such a hard time losing weight. I've been able to lose weight fairly easily in the past and haven't ever had the scale stop like this. I reviewed my food diary from when I was smaller and I don't feel like its much different. It wouldn't be such a big deal if I wasn't getting married in Oct!
    So, I'm asking for help. If someone could look at my diary (I know I'm not perfect with my diet, but don't feel I should be stalled like this) and let me know if they have any suggestions or see something that I don't. I do have a food scale and measure what I'm eating.
    I'm thinking of cutting out pasta, bread, potatoes and rice. And I'm thinking of stopping Insanity and doing a weight routine instead..... please let me know what you think. My wedding gown is a size 8 and I wouldn't be able to fit in that right now! My stats are 5'6", 153 lbs and I'm 35 years old.

Simple., you're eating too much. You should be eating 1536calories a day in order to lose weight. I'm pretty sure you're eating way more than that and this is going off your TDEE of 1935. Start weighing your food and log religiously and continue your workouts. I PROMISE YOU THAT THE SCALE WILL MOVE
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    i am 5'5 155lbs and 32. i eat 2000 calories a day, everyday, and don't worry about eating back exercise calories. i am eating at my TDEE -15%. I do crossfit 5x a week and that is all. i have lost more inches eating ABOVE 1700 calories than i did eating below that. my weight hasn't changed, but my body looks good. i also wear a size 6 :)

insanity is pretty intense. you have to fuel your body. when i increased my calories i also noticed i had way more energy throughout the day, plus tons more energy to put into my workouts.

also looking at your diary- i would increase your protein to at least 125 g a day, increase your fat a bit, and drop those carbs to 150ish
  • cnotefwb
    Thanks for the help!! I really appreciate all the advice. I think I'm definintely going to lower my carbs and up my protein. And I will start working in some weight training as well...
  • How is your sodium intake? I noticed that when I ate alot of sodium (whether intended or un-intended) and drink ALOT of water I can't drop a single pound. Sometimes it takes a little more than counting calories only. . for me it is Sodium and Sugar.
  • cnotefwb
    Simple., you're eating too much. You should be eating 1536calories a day in order to lose weight. I'm pretty sure you're eating way more than that and this is going off your TDEE of 1935. Start weighing your food and log religiously and continue your workouts. I PROMISE YOU THAT THE SCALE WILL MOVE

I have my calories set at 1302 right now and I usually eat back some of what I earn from exercise. Should I just stick to 1536 no matter how much I workout?
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member

I have my calories set at 1302 right now and I usually eat back some of what I earn from exercise. Should I just stick to 1536 no matter how much I workout?

DONT lower your calories. this guy is wrong. if you work out as much as you say you do and aren't cheating your logging you would probably benefit from working out less, or increase your calories if you want to keep your activity level the same. like i said, i eat about 2000 calories a day, every day, and am still losing... plus i am less apt to binge or eat crap cause i crave it, because i can fit it in my calories. plus i have lots of energy (sustained, not caffeinated energy) so i do a lot more stuff and increase my burn throughout the day, plus am able to give my workouts a true 100%