Would you consider me active or lightly active?

Options
I’ve been having trouble deciding between whether to choose “lightly active” or “active” on my MFP profile. There’s a pretty big daily calorie difference that MFP gives you between the two, so I want to be as accurate as possible.

I average about 7,000 steps per day, with 1-2 days a week reaching 10,000. I go to college and work, but I only walk a moderate amount for each. However, I work out 6 days a week, usually burning 300-400 calories per workout.

So, I don’t normally reach 10,000 steps, but I workout almost daily. Would you consider me lightly active or active?

Replies

• Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    The activity level is supposed to not include workouts. Does the 7,000-10,000 steps include the workout steps? Do you have a desk job? If so, you might even want to consider sedentary. The more active settings are for people who are on their feet all day/while they work.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you have an activity tracker that syncs your steps to MFP, go for lightly active or sedentary, log your purposeful workouts, and MFP will work out your correct goal Per day.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week, usually burning 300-400 calories per workout.

That's completely irrelevant to your activity setting, exercise and activity are separate items.

Lightly active sounds about right for your average steps.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I’ve been having trouble deciding between whether to choose “lightly active” or “active” on my MFP profile. There’s a pretty big daily calorie difference that MFP gives you between the two, so I want to be as accurate as possible.

I average about 7,000 steps per day, with 1-2 days a week reaching 10,000. I go to college and work, but I only walk a moderate amount for each. However, I work out 6 days a week, usually burning 300-400 calories per workout.

So, I don’t normally reach 10,000 steps, but I workout almost daily. Would you consider me lightly active or active?

According to MFPs "View Guided Setup" ...

How would you describe your normal daily activities?
    Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)
    Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesperson)
    Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. food server, postal carrier)
    Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)

So ... how much of the day do you spend sitting? If you sit at college and sit at work and sit doing homework ... then you're likely Sedentary.