PMDD

Options
Anyone diagnosed with this disorder and battling weight gain? Would love to hear your suggestions and experiences, especially if you've been medicated for this lovely issue.

Thank you :)

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    *raises hand*

Have lost weight with and without medications just by eating foods that fit within my calorie goal. Of course, using a food scale for all solid and semi-solid foods really helps, as well as making sure I eat enough protein, fat and fibre (to combat the hunger). I gain weight if I start getting too relaxed with my calories, of course.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    I used to self medicate with food, and often had 2-3 pints of Ben & Jerry's premenstrually. Now, I manage stress with regular exercise, and increase exercise with increased stress.

I also eat at maintenance for a few days premenstrually, and this taught me that I don't actually crave carbs at this time - I'm just hungrier, and was misinterpreting this to mean Must have 1200 calories of Ice Cream.

I was premenstrual, stressed, and depressed yesterday, and wanted ice cream, but didn't have any in the house, and was too lazy to get some. My bleak mood lifted like a cloud when my period kicked in.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I've tried hormonal meds and SSRIs but the adverse effects for me are not working. I tried herbal treatments too. Nothing has worked for me. I get 2 weeks of bingy eating and 2 weeks of no appetite. When it's bad I get really depressed and don't follow a decent regime and end up gaining weight . I have no advice, but you are not alone.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention that lifting weights has helped reduce my symptoms somewhat. I also have to be diligent in getting my micronutrients every day.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I haven't been diagnosed, but I know some pms symptoms are worse than others. Sometimes I get a "foggy" brain feeling, like I can't focus or like a cloud is over my head and I feel very down. I went for a run Sunday when that feeling came over me, and just ran outside until I felt better. Sunshine and outside helps me a lot. I have a prescription for if my anxiety gets too bad, if I feel like I might snap.