Gastric sleeve

Options
agrube1968
agrube1968 Posts: 132 Member
edited October 2018 in Motivation and Support
Has anyone had gastric sleeve? Now that I am at my new job my insurance will cover the surgery. So I would like to hear from others that have had it. Was it a success? Are you happier now? Any complications? Any regrets? What was your starting weight? How much did you loose? How long was the process (from beginning to date of surgery?). How much did you lose per week or per month after surgery? Sorry for all the questions but I am really interested in this!! Thanks for the help!!

Replies

• MelindaJane1942
    MelindaJane1942 Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Hi. I had mine on 29/3/18. Starting weight was 106.4kg. Did 2 weeks of optifast before the surgery and was 101.9 on surgery day. Current weight as of yesterday was 64.9kg. On average was 1 to 2kg a week. Had a couple of stall weeks of 700g in a row then back to the before mentioned weights.
    No regrets other than I wish I had done it 4 years ago when first suggested. I've had a pretty easy run. Do lots of research so you know what to expect and what you will need to do eg liquids the first few weeks, then puree food, then soft foods etc.
    At 6 months out now I can have anything, just in smaller qty. And eat slowly.
    As I'm in Australia I paid for it myself.
  • MrsBennett2015
    MrsBennett2015 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! I had my surgery July 18. It is the best thing I've ever done for myself. Not to say it's easy, because it isn't all ALL. You go weeks on just liquids after surgery and then have to work up to eating regular not pureed food. I was 242 when I started my journey and I'm 182 today. I still have another 40 pounds to go.
  • tkt19900
    tkt19900 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery 7/16/18. I was 210 before the 2 week pre-op. I was 198 the day of surgery and today I am 170. Add me if you would like support. It hasn’t been easy and my sugar cravings are coming back. I still have a Premier shake for breakfast, usually tuna for lunch and I have a hard time getting in my water. For some reason it hurts to drink water but I can drink hot coffee without any problem.
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that is doing it. They told me it's going well. It's been about 2 months since the surgery.

I opted for diet (I have issues with anastesia working on me). 1 year and great results.

To each their own. If I can I will post an update on my friend after I see them next weekend.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I had a lapband and had nothing but trouble. I had to get it removed. Gastric sleeve is different but I have a friend who has one. She lost 50 pounds then slowly gained it back in a couple of years. I think it's a tool but not a cure all and if it's anything like the lapband it depends on what you tend to eat. For me the lapband was a bad idea because I didn't eat large quantities of food but rather high calorie food so restricting volume didn't help me much. If you are a volume eater it may be helpful. Whatever you choose to do it will take work and it takes courage to take the step. Good luck.
  • glenda_ok
    glenda_ok Posts: 54 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I had the gastric sleeve last December. At my initial consult I weighed 391. I went through four months of preop diet, and on surgery day I weighed 341. Now I'm almost 11 months out and I'm down to 237. I still have a lot to lose, but it was the best decision I could have made. It's just a tool that restricts you from overeating in one setting. The cravings are still there. You have to focus on eating the right things. Focus on protein, water and exercise. It also comes with stalls. I've been stalled for 2 months. But the scale will move again, but that doesn't mean it's not frustrating. I'm happy with my decision to have it.

Oh and I've lost an average of 10 lbs a month since surgery. Except for the past couple of months (stall).
  • beerkann
    beerkann Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have mine scheduled for Dec 19. My weight today is 260
  • lauridabbieri
    lauridabbieri Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had mine 20 Dec 2010. Let me tell you that it is not a long term fix. I was 263 on my surgery date, and made it to 120 in a year. I maintained that weight for about 8 months and then met a guy. I started eating normally again and gained back to 213 4 years later. I had to diet to get into a wedding dress, but dieted my way to 113 pounds on my wedding day in 2017. I took a year off of dieting and found myself back to 165. I went back on diet in October and am down to 148. Bottom line: you can gain weight back after the sleeve. I’m glad I did it, but it will not solve your weight problems.