Fitness band preference

Options
So I'm still without a fitness band. I've narrowed it down to two choices. Samsung Gear Fit2 Pro and/or Fitbit Versa. Im torn because I thought I wanted one but the other has a few more features. Does anyone use these and have any recommendations? Thanks!

Replies

• Mommytyme
    Mommytyme Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I will look into Garmin. I haven't even thought if that possibility
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I haven't had either, but I've had two Fitbits now in the past 4.5 years (Flex for 2+ years then upgraded to the Charge 2) and both have held up well and I loooooove all of the features and data it tracks. The app is easy to use and syncs to MFP easily. I'm about to treat myself and buy the Charge 3 for all of the new features like being able to track my cycle with the dashboard.

I've heard great things about the Versa!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have had a Fitbit and currently a Garmin. The Fitbit's battery stopped holding a charge after about 14 months, plus it was not swim proof. I have had the Garmin for over 3 years and finally changed the batteries about a month ago. It is waterproof (technically water resistant) to 50 meters so I have no problems doing any of my water activities with it.

Brand wise, I highly recommend Garmin. Otherwise, you just have to find a model that does what you need it to do for the price you are willing to pay.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I'm a Garmin fan. Tons of features, they last and they stand behind their product.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    I am a Garmin fan as well. And because I like to save a little money, I generally buy certified refurbished. My Forerunner 25 and my wife's Vivosport do everything we want or need them to do.
  • Mommytyme
    Options
    Thanks for all of the feedback! I'm looking into the Garmin now as it wasn't originally on my radar
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Another Garmin fan here. I've used Fitbits and an Apple Watch in the past, Garmin is head and shoulders above both of them IMO. Some people experience quality/reliability issues with Fitbit (although their customer support is great), and the Apple Watch is a fantastic, very high quality smart watch, but a very mediocre activity/fitness tracker. I own/have owned several different Garmin products and have had very good experiences with all of them.

While researching fitness trackers, the best place on the internet to find thorough, unbiased, detailed reviews is DCRainmaker's website (no affiliation here, I just find his site very helpful and have used it for several of my purchase decisions): https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews

FWIW, it doesn't look like he's reviewed the Samsung Gear Fit2 Pro, but he was apparently not at all a fan of the original Gear Fit back in 2014: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/04/pinnacle-samsungs-activity.html
  • Shaycos
    Shaycos Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Also a garmin fan. Was looking at one of the polar ones too but was out of price range. Only thing missing on mine is swim option which I log manually. (Was looking at nearly doubling price for that on any other half decent ones.)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,658 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I will chime in with the "opposing" view, just for the heck of it.

It has been a few years since I tried an original vivo-line product with a strap for heart rate and I happily moved on to a Fitbit which at the time had a much better web site and phone app, and integrated HR.

I have not really regretted the choice and, as a regular everyday user (and not an elite athlete), have felt that the information provided to me by my Fitbit is sufficient for my needs.

The original Charge/Surge generation had considerable reliability issues and Fitbit stood behind them 100% replacing them during and even after their warranty period had expired.

The Charge 2s have been solid and definitely slash proof in spite of Fitbit quietly husing an original water-resistance claim. The insufficiently reinforced elasto-plastic strap connection is, perhaps, their week point. Fitbit has sent out warranty replacements without an issue and amazon has several for sale.

I've had friends with Samsung Gear watches. The watches and app have improved over the years and I am sure that in terms of "smart" features they come out ahead.

However in terms of integration with MFP I would trust Garmin and Fitbit more. With Fitbit having fewer problems.

Personally I would rate Fitbit tops for the casual user interested in health/wellness information and a pleasant and somewhat interesting to use web site and app and ecosystem, Garmin as better for a more serious athlete, and Samsung as better for a gadget meister for whom health information is only a part of the overall package.
  • kensmith1200
    kensmith1200 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just got a fitbit versa through my insurance for a $40 discount. I really like it so far. It does what i need a fitness watch to do. I even started wearing it to bed to track my sleep.
  • txcastillo40
    txcastillo40 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Ionic and love it can wear when swimming and etc
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    This was great feedback. I am currently in the market for one as well. How does the Garmin with MFP? Any glitches?

They all have glitches, they're complex computers. On the whole, the Garmin/MFP integration has been solid.

(Example of a glitch: sometimes the numbers it gives me are off by one. I set a power record of 272 watts, but when it got to the computer it said 271 w. Annoying, but I can live with it.)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    This was great feedback. I am currently in the market for one as well. How does the Garmin with MFP? Any glitches?

They all have glitches, they're complex computers. On the whole, the Garmin/MFP integration has been solid.

(Example of a glitch: sometimes the numbers it gives me are off by one. I set a power record of 272 watts, but when it got to the computer it said 271 w. Annoying, but I can live with it.)

I get similar things with running distance. Garmin say 5km but it pushes 4.98 to Strava. Stuff like that. The calories coming from Garmin to MFP are not always the same, but close enough for me. Garmin seems to have less MFP issues than fitbit or Apple, based on reading threads here.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I have had a Garmin Fenix 3 HR for almost 2 years and love it. It has a continuous HRM and calculates calories burned 24 hours per day and calculates performance metrics, counts steps and stairs ascended, has GPS, tracks sleep, has an altimeter, barometer, and temp sensor, is waterproof to 100m so you can track swims, integrates with your phone through Bluetooth, and a lot of other functions. It has a long battery life and the associated phone app is easy to use. It also has customizable watch faces and you can change watch bands so it can coordinate with pretty much anything you wear (at work, social events, etc.)
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    you can change watch bands so it can coordinate with pretty much anything you wear (at work, social events, etc.)

It also can take the 5X quick release bands so you don't have to unscrew things to switch bands. And they can be pretty cheap on Amazon.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    you can change watch bands so it can coordinate with pretty much anything you wear (at work, social events, etc.)

It also can take the 5X quick release bands so you don't have to unscrew things to switch bands. And they can be pretty cheap on Amazon.

Yeah, that looks really convenient! Unfortunately, all of my bands are the screw type, but I'm pretty fast at this point, I can usually change one in about 90 seconds :) . I do want to upgrade my watch to a newer version, but the 3HR is still performing very well, so I will probably wait until the successor to the 5x series comes out.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

Yeah, that looks really convenient! Unfortunately, all of my bands are the screw type, but I'm pretty fast at this point, I can usually change one in about 90 seconds :) . I do want to upgrade my watch to a newer version, but the 3HR is still performing very well, so I will probably wait until the successor to the 5x series comes out.

I paid around $440 Cdn for my 3HR, and with the 5x being close to a grand, I'm not planning on making the switch. Only bonus I can see is that it talks to the new running pod and you can have a map on your screen.

I like my 3HR :)
  • Mommytyme
    Options
    I just got a fitbit versa through my insurance for a $40 discount. I really like it so far. It does what i need a fitness watch to do. I even started wearing it to bed to track my sleep.

Nice with the insurance discount!