Iron infusion ? asking here because can't find anywhere else

Options
zyxst
zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
The internet isn't giving me any sort of answer other than the side effects. Anyway, I'm trying to find out if iron infusions are supposed to do anything other than get your iron up quickly. I know I'm impatient but, for some stupid reasoning, I think having iron injected directly into my blood would work slightly faster than oral meds. I'm only having 1 side effect that's mentioned in every list (diarrhea).

No, my GP doesn't know nor do the nurses in the ambulatory unit (other than the widely-known side effects).

For those who clicked the thread:
hkuuh920lsso.gif

Replies

  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    What kinds of effects are you thinking of? Are you thinking of alternative effects like how saxenda is a diabetes medication but can potentially help with weight loss?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    The internet isn't giving me any sort of answer other than the side effects. Anyway, I'm trying to find out if iron infusions are supposed to do anything other than get your iron up quickly. I know I'm impatient but, for some stupid reasoning, I think having iron injected directly into my blood would work slightly faster than oral meds. I'm only having 1 side effect that's mentioned in every list (diarrhea).

    No, my GP doesn't know nor do the nurses in the ambulatory unit (other than the widely-known side effects).

    The reason why iron does not build up fast is because very little of it is absorbed to create iron rich blood. Infusions don't even work that well, most people get their iron up through infusions of whole blood. I was severely anemic and hospitalized with a hemoglobin of 5.3. 4 units of whole blood and 1 unit of IV iron and I was released with a hemoglobin of 9.4. It took 9 months of high potency iron tablets to finally get to 13, which is where I have been hanging around ever since.

    Why do you want to get your iron up? Are you below normal? Are you planning to do some mountaineering above 12,000 feet? If you just have low energy, you need to speak with a doctor. There are so many other causes of it that have nothing to do with how much iron is in your blood.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    The internet isn't giving me any sort of answer other than the side effects. Anyway, I'm trying to find out if iron infusions are supposed to do anything other than get your iron up quickly. I know I'm impatient but, for some stupid reasoning, I think having iron injected directly into my blood would work slightly faster than oral meds. I'm only having 1 side effect that's mentioned in every list (diarrhea).

    No, my GP doesn't know nor do the nurses in the ambulatory unit (other than the widely-known side effects).

    The reason why iron does not build up fast is because very little of it is absorbed to create iron rich blood. Infusions don't even work that well, most people get their iron up through infusions of whole blood. I was severely anemic and hospitalized with a hemoglobin of 5.3. 4 units of whole blood and 1 unit of IV iron and I was released with a hemoglobin of 9.4. It took 9 months of high potency iron tablets to finally get to 13, which is where I have been hanging around ever since.

    Why do you want to get your iron up? Are you below normal? Are you planning to do some mountaineering above 12,000 feet? If you just have low energy, you need to speak with a doctor. There are so many other causes of it that have nothing to do with how much iron is in your blood.

    I will pass on your info to my GP who ordered the infusions because my number was 19 (up from 13 8 months ago) after 6 months of daily iron pills (Ferramax) and I didn't want to take the pills because of the constipation side effect.

    I asked if iron infusions do anything other that get your iron up. I'm having more physical health problems after 3 infusions - more physical pains (cramps, back spasms, joint pain), worsening depression, mood swings. And before you say I should talk to my GP about this - I did. She pushed me off that it could be anything else.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    What kinds of effects are you thinking of? Are you thinking of alternative effects like how saxenda is a diabetes medication but can potentially help with weight loss?

    I don't know. I'm having more physical pains (cramps, joint pain, back spasms), my depression is worse, my moods are either angry or meh. I didn't feel like this before the iron pills and infusions. To me, it's peri menopause, but my GP tells me it's not because I'm "too young".
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    The internet isn't giving me any sort of answer other than the side effects. Anyway, I'm trying to find out if iron infusions are supposed to do anything other than get your iron up quickly. I know I'm impatient but, for some stupid reasoning, I think having iron injected directly into my blood would work slightly faster than oral meds. I'm only having 1 side effect that's mentioned in every list (diarrhea).

    No, my GP doesn't know nor do the nurses in the ambulatory unit (other than the widely-known side effects).

    The reason why iron does not build up fast is because very little of it is absorbed to create iron rich blood. Infusions don't even work that well, most people get their iron up through infusions of whole blood. I was severely anemic and hospitalized with a hemoglobin of 5.3. 4 units of whole blood and 1 unit of IV iron and I was released with a hemoglobin of 9.4. It took 9 months of high potency iron tablets to finally get to 13, which is where I have been hanging around ever since.

    Why do you want to get your iron up? Are you below normal? Are you planning to do some mountaineering above 12,000 feet? If you just have low energy, you need to speak with a doctor. There are so many other causes of it that have nothing to do with how much iron is in your blood.

    I will pass on your info to my GP who ordered the infusions because my number was 19 (up from 13 8 months ago) after 6 months of daily iron pills (Ferramax) and I didn't want to take the pills because of the constipation side effect.

    I asked if iron infusions do anything other that get your iron up. I'm having more physical health problems after 3 infusions - more physical pains (cramps, back spasms, joint pain), worsening depression, mood swings. And before you say I should talk to my GP about this - I did. She pushed me off that it could be anything else.

    I experienced no side effects but I only received one unit. I also had no side effects with the pills (not even constipation).

    Why does your Dr, want your iron so high? 13.8 is right in the middle of the normal range for women and on the lower end of normal for men (for women 12-15.5, for men 13.5-17.5)
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    The internet isn't giving me any sort of answer other than the side effects. Anyway, I'm trying to find out if iron infusions are supposed to do anything other than get your iron up quickly. I know I'm impatient but, for some stupid reasoning, I think having iron injected directly into my blood would work slightly faster than oral meds. I'm only having 1 side effect that's mentioned in every list (diarrhea).

    No, my GP doesn't know nor do the nurses in the ambulatory unit (other than the widely-known side effects).

    The reason why iron does not build up fast is because very little of it is absorbed to create iron rich blood. Infusions don't even work that well, most people get their iron up through infusions of whole blood. I was severely anemic and hospitalized with a hemoglobin of 5.3. 4 units of whole blood and 1 unit of IV iron and I was released with a hemoglobin of 9.4. It took 9 months of high potency iron tablets to finally get to 13, which is where I have been hanging around ever since.

    Why do you want to get your iron up? Are you below normal? Are you planning to do some mountaineering above 12,000 feet? If you just have low energy, you need to speak with a doctor. There are so many other causes of it that have nothing to do with how much iron is in your blood.

    I will pass on your info to my GP who ordered the infusions because my number was 19 (up from 13 8 months ago) after 6 months of daily iron pills (Ferramax) and I didn't want to take the pills because of the constipation side effect.

    I asked if iron infusions do anything other that get your iron up. I'm having more physical health problems after 3 infusions - more physical pains (cramps, back spasms, joint pain), worsening depression, mood swings. And before you say I should talk to my GP about this - I did. She pushed me off that it could be anything else.

    is there a reason your GP wants your iron so high? That seems really surprising to me, because I'm far lower than your low, and any doc I've ever seen has been all "Eh, it's borderline anemic. You're fine."

    Or are you talking about about a figure that's different from hemoglobin, which is what's usually used for evaluation?

    Edit: Even if going by ferritin, you're still not that far from being "normal" -- it's low-normal, but still normal. I'm confused about why the jump to infusions.

    https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/ferritin-test/about/pac-20384928
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    What kinds of effects are you thinking of? Are you thinking of alternative effects like how saxenda is a diabetes medication but can potentially help with weight loss?

    I don't know. I'm having more physical pains (cramps, joint pain, back spasms), my depression is worse, my moods are either angry or meh. I didn't feel like this before the iron pills and infusions. To me, it's peri menopause, but my GP tells me it's not because I'm "too young".

    Those are symptoms of having iron levels that are *too* high. Not too low...

    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hemochromatosis/symptoms-causes/syc-20351443
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    The internet isn't giving me any sort of answer other than the side effects. Anyway, I'm trying to find out if iron infusions are supposed to do anything other than get your iron up quickly. I know I'm impatient but, for some stupid reasoning, I think having iron injected directly into my blood would work slightly faster than oral meds. I'm only having 1 side effect that's mentioned in every list (diarrhea).

    No, my GP doesn't know nor do the nurses in the ambulatory unit (other than the widely-known side effects).

    The reason why iron does not build up fast is because very little of it is absorbed to create iron rich blood. Infusions don't even work that well, most people get their iron up through infusions of whole blood. I was severely anemic and hospitalized with a hemoglobin of 5.3. 4 units of whole blood and 1 unit of IV iron and I was released with a hemoglobin of 9.4. It took 9 months of high potency iron tablets to finally get to 13, which is where I have been hanging around ever since.

    Why do you want to get your iron up? Are you below normal? Are you planning to do some mountaineering above 12,000 feet? If you just have low energy, you need to speak with a doctor. There are so many other causes of it that have nothing to do with how much iron is in your blood.

    I will pass on your info to my GP who ordered the infusions because my number was 19 (up from 13 8 months ago) after 6 months of daily iron pills (Ferramax) and I didn't want to take the pills because of the constipation side effect.

    I asked if iron infusions do anything other that get your iron up. I'm having more physical health problems after 3 infusions - more physical pains (cramps, back spasms, joint pain), worsening depression, mood swings. And before you say I should talk to my GP about this - I did. She pushed me off that it could be anything else.

    If you have very low iron levels (just got my lab results a few days ago, the minimum is 40 so unless it is adifferent scale, you are very low), do you know why ? Could the cause, whatever it is, be causing the symptoms? One pill a day will not do anything for severe iron deficiency, usually liquid iron is absorbed much better, provided you take it correctly: empty stomach, with vitamine C, no dairy or eggs in the next two hours, no coffee or tea either. I have iron deficiency because of heavy period and 1 pill a day would not even work as maintenance for me. I have needed injections in the past and I think that mood swings are a very typical side-effect from what I recall, probably the same with infusion?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    The internet isn't giving me any sort of answer other than the side effects. Anyway, I'm trying to find out if iron infusions are supposed to do anything other than get your iron up quickly. I know I'm impatient but, for some stupid reasoning, I think having iron injected directly into my blood would work slightly faster than oral meds. I'm only having 1 side effect that's mentioned in every list (diarrhea).

    No, my GP doesn't know nor do the nurses in the ambulatory unit (other than the widely-known side effects).

    The reason why iron does not build up fast is because very little of it is absorbed to create iron rich blood. Infusions don't even work that well, most people get their iron up through infusions of whole blood. I was severely anemic and hospitalized with a hemoglobin of 5.3. 4 units of whole blood and 1 unit of IV iron and I was released with a hemoglobin of 9.4. It took 9 months of high potency iron tablets to finally get to 13, which is where I have been hanging around ever since.

    Why do you want to get your iron up? Are you below normal? Are you planning to do some mountaineering above 12,000 feet? If you just have low energy, you need to speak with a doctor. There are so many other causes of it that have nothing to do with how much iron is in your blood.

    I will pass on your info to my GP who ordered the infusions because my number was 19 (up from 13 8 months ago) after 6 months of daily iron pills (Ferramax) and I didn't want to take the pills because of the constipation side effect.

    I asked if iron infusions do anything other that get your iron up. I'm having more physical health problems after 3 infusions - more physical pains (cramps, back spasms, joint pain), worsening depression, mood swings. And before you say I should talk to my GP about this - I did. She pushed me off that it could be anything else.

    I've said it before, and will say it again, not all forms of iron cause constipation.

    And if you otherwise like Feramax, take it with powdered vitamin C to bowel tolerance. Not only will that solve the constipation issue, but iron is better absorbed when taken with vitamin C.

    I mix the powdered vitamin C with 1 T of blackstrap molasses in a cup of warm water.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    The internet isn't giving me any sort of answer other than the side effects. Anyway, I'm trying to find out if iron infusions are supposed to do anything other than get your iron up quickly. I know I'm impatient but, for some stupid reasoning, I think having iron injected directly into my blood would work slightly faster than oral meds. I'm only having 1 side effect that's mentioned in every list (diarrhea).

    No, my GP doesn't know nor do the nurses in the ambulatory unit (other than the widely-known side effects).

    The reason why iron does not build up fast is because very little of it is absorbed to create iron rich blood. Infusions don't even work that well, most people get their iron up through infusions of whole blood. I was severely anemic and hospitalized with a hemoglobin of 5.3. 4 units of whole blood and 1 unit of IV iron and I was released with a hemoglobin of 9.4. It took 9 months of high potency iron tablets to finally get to 13, which is where I have been hanging around ever since.

    Why do you want to get your iron up? Are you below normal? Are you planning to do some mountaineering above 12,000 feet? If you just have low energy, you need to speak with a doctor. There are so many other causes of it that have nothing to do with how much iron is in your blood.

    I will pass on your info to my GP who ordered the infusions because my number was 19 (up from 13.8 months ago) after 6 months of daily iron pills (Ferramax) and I didn't want to take the pills because of the constipation side effect.

    I asked if iron infusions do anything other that get your iron up. I'm having more physical health problems after 3 infusions - more physical pains (cramps, back spasms, joint pain), worsening depression, mood swings. And before you say I should talk to my GP about this - I did. She pushed me off that it could be anything else.

    Is this your ferritin number? My doctor was happy with my ferritin count of 11.6, which put me in Low Normal.
  • fish9283
    fish9283 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I used to need iron infusions because of anemia due to heavy periods. I didn't have any side effects. It took a few hours to get the infusion so it was a boring way to spend time. It took 2 or 3 days for my body to convert the iron into red blood cells, and I felt great while it lasted.