Intermittent Fasting!

Options

Replies

• lowcarbmale
    lowcarbmale Posts: 145 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Nobody was talking about too much salt or oceanwater.
    If you already eat enough salt that's fine too (I pretty much said exactly that in my post before).
    Hydration is critical to good health and supports a huge number of bodily functions. However, hydration is more complex than simply drinking water. In addition to H2O our bodies require the right balance of electrolytes to adequately absorb and utilise fluid in our cells.
    http://anograiner.com/distilled-water-hydration/

Therefore if your tapwater or whatever water you are drinking regularly doesn't have enough minerals or you do a lot of sports you might want to add some electrolytes (and I'm not talking about sugarwater like g*torate etc.)
  • lowcarbmale
    Options
    Several teaspoons is nuts. I'm talking about maybe a quarter of a teaspoon of salt that you put in like a quarter to half a gallon of water.
  • lowcarbmale
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Several teaspoons is nuts. I'm talking about maybe a quarter of a teaspoon of salt that you put in like a quarter to half a gallon of water.

Which is what they were saying at the beginning advising against it before you decided to add your two cents worth to confuse what is a stupid and dangerous practice.

Let's agree that some electrolytes in the water are healthy and extreme amounts of salt in water are obviously harmful. This topic is about intermittent fasting and not sea salt. Let's let other people get back to it.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Nobody was talking about too much salt or oceanwater.
    If you already eat enough salt that's fine too (I pretty much said exactly that in my post before).
    Hydration is critical to good health and supports a huge number of bodily functions. However, hydration is more complex than simply drinking water. In addition to H2O our bodies require the right balance of electrolytes to adequately absorb and utilise fluid in our cells.
    http://anograiner.com/distilled-water-hydration/

Therefore if your tapwater or whatever water you are drinking regularly doesn't have enough minerals or you do a lot of sports you might want to add some electrolytes (and I'm not talking about sugarwater like g*torate etc.)

There's a thing right now where a "sea salt flush" is promoted as something to do while IFing as a detox. It seems to me that is what the poster who brought it up was talking about, and it's a bad idea, and if taken too far, rather than just making a person puke, it can seriously dehydrate you to the point of needing medical attention. It's dangerous enough to warrant it being rebutted as bad advice on a public forum IMHO.

Luckily, OP has already gotten lots of on-point responses, and if they need more info hopefully they'll pop back in.
  • leobrah
    leobrah Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The salt thing is honestly ridiculous. Where's the evidence it helps to detox anything? Obviously sodium is needed in order for our brain and body to function but just use it at reasonable quantities with your food and drink water separately. It's completely unnecessary. It sounds like the same thing that has been said for years and years about weight loss that you need to eat 5-6 small meals a day to lose weight and that fasting slows down your metabolism and makes you fat. They're all lies, what we can do is look at science and facts and draw conclusions that are obvious, I have yet to ready any studies that would suggest that a "sea salt flush" or whatever can help your body to detox itself. Just do a good old fast for two weeks or so if you're so desperate to detox yourself and lay off the salt.
  • 73CL350
    73CL350 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I didn't research IF beforehand, but it's just what i naturally do.
    (GROSS OVER-SIMPLIFICATION WARNING
    my thoughts are: if you have readily available sugars; your body will use those sugars (preferential oxidation). only when the sugars are depleted does your body turn towards burning fat. So for me i like to go as far into every day as i can without eating because i'm in that "running on reserves" mode. the easiest way for me is to skip breakfast (I do have 12 ounces of black coffee, 10 cals) and go as far into every day as i can before i eat lunch.
    (/END-RANT

But IF, and Macros, and all of that is just a sub-set of; the overall:
    YOU MUST CONSUME LESS CALORIES THAN YOU BURN TO LOSE WEIGHT.

the rest is about how you feel while you do it (and trying to preserve muscle as best as possible).
  • FitVVitch
    FitVVitch Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If anyone doing IF wants to add me please do! 💕
  • 73CL350
    73CL350 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Notice I was saying when sugars are depleted you turn towards burning fat. Its a shift to more of one or the other... not a on or off switch.