To shake or not to shake

Options
So I see a bunch of people using and talking about protein shakes and powders. Should I be using as well? I am usually under my protein intake at the end of the day but I always thought protein powder was for serious lifters and marathon runners. :) I do walk or use the elliptical 4-5 days per week but I don't use much of the strength training equipment right now (i'm self conscious sorry). Should I try some? If so, what is best?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    It is best to meet your protein goals through whole food like chicken, beef, fish, cheese, milk, eggs etc. That being said, if you are having trouble consuming enough whole food protein to hit your goal, then whey protein powder is a good option to help you meet that goal. Protein powder is used by many lifters because relatively high protein intake is required for muscle growth in response to weight training. That being said, everybody should be consuming high protein even while dieting down to preserve muscle and lose fat. The MFP default protein goal is set very low, so if you are not hitting even that goal, then you definitely should up your protein in my opinion.

Edit: If you decide that you want to try whey protein powder for a protein shake, I recommend Isopure Dutch Chocolate. It tastes great even when mixed with water, and has very high protein content to calorie ratio because it has almost no fat or carbs in it. Cheapest place to get it is allstarhealth.com.

Good luck
  • Juanwi
    Juanwi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    At the end of each week I hard boil any eggs I have left. I keep these in a fridge in a bowl and use them as pre and post workout snacks. The yolks are pretty much multi-vitamins.
  • WinwillLose
    Options
    Since it's best for me to eat first thing in the morning I have a shake becauseI find its easy. I do a lot of strength training exercises and keeping the meals high in protein keeps me from being hungry. With that being said, it is best to get your protein from natural sources, eggs, chicken or fish. I like sweet in the AM so if fulfills that taste requirement for me.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Im going to try the food way and see how it goes. :)