Does anyone do a simple, daily bodyweight routine?

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
Or do you know of any?

I'm currently doing about 30min 2x/day of physio exercises, and a small amount of that is bodyweight strength - I do 8x/leg single leg bridge pose, hold 3 seconds, 10 fire hydrants per leg, hold 3 seconds for glute/hip strengthening that avoids putting strain on my problem knees. I'm also doing some exercises with my arms for strengthening with a resistance band looped around a doorknob and pulling with both 3 seconds x 10 times, and holding it between my hands and pulling one to the side 10x, 3 seconds. This usually takes under 5 minutes, and I could definitely add another 5-10 min of strength exercises.

I have been interested in increasing strength for a while. When I started looking into weight loss I popped down to the second hand store and bought a pair of 10lb dumbbells. But I don't know how to use them and they just sit there on my floor. My SO thinks they are too heavy for me to use safely and I would need to start lighter.

I feel like my core is not very strong, so I decided to add side planks for 20 seconds each, and a regular plank for 30. I found googling core exercises very overwhelming, and when I saw planks I said "hey I know how to do that, that's very simple and not a complicated position."

In that vein, is there something you do or you know of that is a routine that is very straightforward and simple?

I was clearing out my desk and I found I'd printed a NerdFitness Bodyweight Routine, and it was funny because a lot of the things I just flat out couldn't do - the dumbbell rows, the jumping jacks and squats. So I know that one doesn't work for me. But I think I printed it because it was simple and I gravitated towards that.

I need to understand the movements before I can actually implement them. That said, I can learn correct posture from a video, as long as it isn't overly complicated - I learned how to do the fire hydrants correctly from watching a youtube video, I had been really fuzzy on it when I learned it at physio and the video was much more descriptive of what it was supposed to feel like.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Nerdfitness is a great starter programme.
    Don't worry that you can't do all the moves, make it your goal to be able to complete the programme.
    Simplyfy everything to start with and build from there, videos are available.
    As far as jumping jacks are concerned, do something else. Keep the arm movements the same and high knee, side step, etc. It's main purpose is to add in a bit of cardio, so do what you are comfortable with.

As far as your 10lbs dumbbells go, they may be too heavy for some moves, but just right for others, ie, dead lift.
    Until you can work up to using them, use household objects. Tins of soup, milk or detergent bottles with handles filled with water ( part fill and weigh and increase the weight (water level) as you progress.

HasFit has some excellent beginner programmes on YouTube. Start with 1 set and simplify the moves. Your goal is to do the programme as written.
    If you think about it, if you could already complete the programme when you started it would mean you needed a more challenging programme.

Cheers, h.

PS. If you are doing physio run whatever you plan to do past your doc or PT.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I do all body weight, except a weighted squat.

A quick compliment to your plank for core is a hollow hold. It's done on your back with your abs engaged, legs, feet and upper torso lifted so your body is hollow. Hold until your abs scream. Repeat.

Your PT should have a few program recomendations for where you should start.
  • kiela64
    Options
    Nerdfitness is a great starter programme.
    Don't worry that you can't do all the moves, make it your goal to be able to complete the programme.
    Simplyfy everything to start with and build from there, videos are available.
    As far as jumping jacks are concerned, do something else. Keep the arm movements the same and high knee, side step, etc. It's main purpose is to add in a bit of cardio, so do what you are comfortable with.

As far as your 10lbs dumbbells go, they may be too heavy for some moves, but just right for others, ie, dead lift.
    Until you can work up to using them, use household objects. Tins of soup, milk or detergent bottles with handles filled with water ( part fill and weigh and increase the weight (water level) as you progress.

HasFit has some excellent beginner programmes on YouTube. Start with 1 set and simplify the moves. Your goal is to do the programme as written.
    If you think about it, if you could already complete the programme when you started it would mean you needed a more challenging programme.

Cheers, h.

PS. If you are doing physio run whatever you plan to do past your doc or PT.

Thank you! I know from my PT I cannot do (possibly ever) running, jumping, lunges, and anything that twists or turns sharply (I attended a Zumba class where every move was pivoting or jumping and that was very bad). I was doing body weight squats in the past, but as my knee was getting more aggravated it’s now on the bad list. I also cannot use the elliptical.

Is there a reason there has to be an amount of cardio to the program? I do go for walks and when I return to a gym I will use the cycle and swim. But these would not be in the AM/PM when I do my physio exercises.

I remember the nerd fitness video giving that tip about containers but using sand. I do have a couple large Epsom salt containers, but they don’t seal perfectly. Water seems like a good way to grow mold or something, but it is easier to get.

I will look at the YouTuber, thank you!!
  • kiela64
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »

A quick compliment to your plank for core is a hollow hold. It's done on your back with your abs engaged, legs, feet and upper torso lifted so your body is hollow. Hold until your abs scream. Repeat.

I will look this up, thank you!

She has recommended 20min of light impact cardio, like using the stationary bike, cycling, and swimming.

I asked her once about improving core strength and she said it wasn’t necessary. I think her job is injury rehab, getting to functional level, but not coaching on a workout routine. I know what to avoid and I would bring up any new moves to her, but I got the sense that she is being paid for one job and I was asking something beyond that.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

I second hollow holds. I also recommend afterward, you flip over and do Superman’s. Same position, but on your belly, so it strengthens your back of your core and glutes.

Also look into adding pushups, pull-ups and dips. The normal suggestion for building strength in push-ups is to go down to your knees, but if that won’t work for you, start pushing from a wall, then counter, then stairs. Go to a lower stair each time until you can do one full.
  • kiela64
    Options

I second hollow holds. I also recommend afterward, you flip over and do Superman’s. Same position, but on your belly, so it strengthens your back of your core and glutes.

Also look into adding pushups, pull-ups and dips. The normal suggestion for building strength in push-ups is to go down to your knees, but if that won’t work for you, start pushing from a wall, then counter, then stairs. Go to a lower stair each time until you can do one full.

Thank you, yes I can’t really do those knee push ups because it’s a lot of pressure on my knees. I have a wall but then just my desk or the chair I have, which is really a kitchen chair (no wheels). Do you think those would be okay?

And the same position but flipped sounds like a really great simple way to expand, thank you!! I’ll look up those 2 and maybe with the wall push ups that’s a good start. That’s a few more moves, and if I can keep it up adding it to my routine every day then I could look into increases or something more.
  • kiela64
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I'll just share the progression videos I found for beginners with the Plank, Hollow Hold, and Superman. I liked the plank and Hollow Hold videos as giving lots of info on what it's supposed to feel like. I couldn't find a similar one for Superman, so that's the closest. And if you have a source that you would recommend instead I'd be interested!

Plank:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gAT7bfbt28&list=PL64burGOhmhyXccH4yuyhYj7ltEh9fwLO&index=6&t=183s

Hollow Hold:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-H5EpKcP60&list=PL64burGOhmhyXccH4yuyhYj7ltEh9fwLO&index=8&t=0s

Superman:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc6UVRS7PW4&list=PL64burGOhmhyXccH4yuyhYj7ltEh9fwLO&index=9&t=0s

I will add, my first attempt of the beginner Hollow Hold is very much just my neck muscles and even when I'm trying to engage my core it's only a little. My neck is straining and I'm having trouble effectively engaging my core there. So I'm not sure if it's the right place to start. But it does seem like a good one.

The Superman went a bit better - I can definitely hold the proper position for at least 10-20 seconds, but my ribs are hitting the floor on my way up and down, which will cause a lot of soreness (I know from past exercises). Is that a sign of poor posture in the pose, or just how my body is?
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    You don’t have to go up and down, just isometricly hold at the top.
  • kiela64
    Options

Yes, but the process of going up at the start and down at the end seems to really hit my ribs. I haven't found any info about that as a problem...

I was also reading a little more about Hollow Hold, because it was hurting my neck, so there was a suggestion that "deadbug" is a better start to progress to the hollow hold?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats on being so dedicated to your workouts. You can't say that 10 lb is too heavy or too light in general. It depends how you use the weights. I use vastly different weights for squats than for OHP or delt raises.

Some core exercises can be very hard on the neck and I do not do them because I have neck issues. I either modify the exercise or choose a different one.
  • kiela64
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Congrats on being so dedicated to your workouts. You can't say that 10 lb is too heavy or too light in general. It depends how you use the weights. I use vastly different weights for squats than for OHP or delt raises.

Some core exercises can be very hard on the neck and I do not do them because I have neck issues. I either modify the exercise or choose a different one.

Thank you! Which ones do you find not hard on the neck? I haven’t had neck issues with plank.

Maybe there’s a way I can use them - is there a way you would recommend finding out what exercises would be appropriate to use with them or what a good weight for me to use in what exercises would be best?
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    kiela64 wrote: »

Yes, but the process of going up at the start and down at the end seems to really hit my ribs. I haven't found any info about that as a problem...

I was also reading a little more about Hollow Hold, because it was hurting my neck, so there was a suggestion that "deadbug" is a better start to progress to the hollow hold?

Deadbugs are great. Start just body weight and then you can add small dumbbells after a time. You can even put a resistance band around your feet to work your hip flexors as well.
  • kiela64
    Options

Deadbugs are great. Start just body weight and then you can add small dumbbells after a time. You can even put a resistance band around your feet to work your hip flexors as well.

Thank you! Do you think if I do Plank, Side Plank, and Dead Bug I'll have the core covered? The Hollow Hold & Superman's weren't really working out well....
  • mom23mangos
    Options

Thank you! Do you think if I do Plank, Side Plank, and Dead Bug I'll have the core covered? The Hollow Hold & Superman's weren't really working out well....

I'd still add in some low back exercises to cover your core all around.

This might be helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlY9Y_nQ2V8
  • kiela64
    Options

I'd still add in some low back exercises to cover your core all around.

This might be helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlY9Y_nQ2V8

Thank you! I finally gave this a shot. I have an exercise ball, and it definitely felt do-able. But for the life of me I could only get my toes to touch the wall, getting my heels flat was not happening. I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly, but it did feel like it was working muscles in my back. I just tried holding it for 3 seconds and did 6 reps and I feel it. I am a little nervous, but I agree I do need some sort of back exercise. And this one didn't kill my bottom ribs off the floor so that's good :)