Complex problem, ideas needed

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
First I will say that while not strictly vegetarian, my diet is mostly plant based, by preference and always was. I do not object to meat and fish, I eat them, but in a few meals per week and usually in small amounts. So in any suggestions, please take this into consideration :)

I have high-ish cholesterol and after meeting with two drs this last week, I was told to keep trying to manage it with diet and exercise and to lose a bit more weight and see if this might help too (I have a BMI of 23 now, trying to get back to 19-20, where I was most of my life, so not a huge change anyway, plus it will take a while).
I am already eating high fiber, lots of vegetables both raw and cooked, grains, fruit, some meat and fish, usually a portion or two of dairy per day, no animal fats (hate the taste, not a recent change).
The new interesting complication is that I am definitely prediabetic, possibly diabetic, more lab work is needed to clarify.
Both the cholesterol issue and the diabetes are hereditary, not a huge surprise.

Eating a mostly high carb diet though, together with trying to keep the cholesterol levels good and now also blood sugar, is making it rather challenging to actually eat anything and not feel guilty about it or not feel like a rabbit :) Plus I do like sweets as treats, even if it is just a tiny slice of bread with a teaspoon of jam or an yoghurt drizzled with honey.

So, I am basically looking to add more protein and more fat in my day, to make it easier to manage carbs per meal, but at the same time, I am looking mainly for protein that is not meat and fat that is coming from plants: fatty cheese, bacon and even butter, I just honestly hate them. And if there are sweet-ish ideas for treats, I am open to all ideas.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• somethingsoright
    somethingsoright Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Beans, nuts, seeds. Those are my go-tos for protein.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a grain with protein you can try and swap out
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Are egg whites an option? I’m not clear if that conflicts with the vegetarian preference, but it is my go-to for getting a protein fix. I stir it into a bowl of steel cut oats, for ex, if I’m in a hurry. Cooked into some sautéed kale, onions and/or sweet peppers is another way I cook them.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    * Seitan.
    * Using almond butter or any other nut butters plus monkfuit or Swerve to make 3 ingredients cookies
    * Using almond flour for your cakes, breads etc. Keto recipes might be helpful cheats.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    Some nice ideas, thanks!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I have been vegetarian for over 13 years now, and I was obese for most of that time. I also had high cholesterol and triglycerides until I began a regular exercise routine. I was not quite prediabetic, but I had PCOS and mild insulin resistance. The lipid levels responded very poorly to medication, and diet made no difference for me. High lipids and diabetes both run in my family.

While weight loss helped me, it is really the exercise that keeps my lipids in check. I was able to stop all of my prescription medication about two years ago and my blood work is great now. My numbers have continued to go down even though I’ve reached a healthy weight and have been maintaining for over a year. So while I wouldn’t say that diet is unimportant, it was not what worked for me. I would strongly recommend adding a regular exercise routine if you don’t already have one.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    I have been vegetarian for over 13 years now, and I was obese for most of that time. I also had high cholesterol and triglycerides until I began a regular exercise routine. I was not quite prediabetic, but I had PCOS and mild insulin resistance. The lipid levels responded very poorly to medication, and diet made no difference for me. High lipids and diabetes both run in my family.

While weight loss helped me, it is really the exercise that keeps my lipids in check. I was able to stop all of my prescription medication about two years ago and my blood work is great now. My numbers have continued to go down even though I’ve reached a healthy weight and have been maintaining for over a year. So while I wouldn’t say that diet is unimportant, it was not what worked for me. I would strongly recommend adding a regular exercise routine if you don’t already have one.

@apullum I know, exercise is the first thing my dr told me about. The problem is, I have been exercising non stop for many many years now, and the results are not looking that great even with regular exercise. Of course without the exercise, they might have been so bad I would be dead now, so I am trying to see the positive side.