Anyone Losing Weight Mainly from Fitness?

Options
2»

Replies

• shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    A lot of people here want to say it can't be done.

A friend of a friend just finished hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, and lost 40 pounds in the process. He ate entire jars of peanut butter in a sitting.

So...he still burned more calories than he consumed. This is still CICO. Jars of peanut butter, burgers, or salads and oatmeal, CICO is what makes one lose weight.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

A friend of a friend just finished hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, and lost 40 pounds in the process. He ate entire jars of peanut butter in a sitting.

There's a bit of a difference between hiking a 2500 mile trail and spending an hour on a cardio machine in a gym. If your plan is to hike all day every day, then yeah, maybe you can out work a bad diet. Of course it would be tough to eat poorly and be able to hike that far so....
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

So...he still burned more calories than he consumed. This is still CICO. Jars of peanut butter, burgers, or salads and oatmeal, CICO is what makes one lose weight.

Yes, of course. He didn't lose weight with magic.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

There's a bit of a difference between hiking a 2500 mile trail and spending an hour on a cardio machine in a gym. If your plan is to hike all day every day, then yeah, maybe you can out work a bad diet. Of course it would be tough to eat poorly and be able to hike that far so....

Who does everyone always assume there has to be a bad diet involved? The question is whether anyone can lose weight with exercise, why the assumption that this means a person has to be "eating poorly?"
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

Who does everyone always assume there has to be a bad diet involved? The question is whether anyone can lose weight with exercise, why the assumption that this means a person has to be "eating poorly?"

Because if you're paying attention to your diet (counting or not), you're not "just exercising". Plus it is important to point out (as many have) that you don't burn as much as many think and there are more calories in common foods than many think.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

Because if you're paying attention to your diet (counting or not), you're not "just exercising". Plus it is important to point out (as many have) that you don't burn as much as many think and there are more calories in common foods than many think.

Paying attention to your diet also doesn't mean that you'll lose weight though. CICO yeah, but there are plenty of ways to pay attention to ones diet that doesn't involve counting calories.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight twice before by increasing my cardio without increasing how much I ate. Both those times occurred when I was a uni student, first when I took up swimming, and then again when I took up running.

These days when I cut weight I increase my cardio, increase how much I walk, and restrict my calories, just because I don't have all the time in the world to be running and walking. But you can absolutely lose weight by increasing your exercise, as long as you burn enough to create a deficit.

Good luck OP!
  • NorthCascades
    edited October 2018
    Options

But what's with the idea baked into all of this that everyone has a 'bad' diet?

You can lose weight on a bad diet. Somebody ate nothing but Twinkies for months, didn't exercise, stuck to his calories, lost weight. Terrible diet. Not that Twinkies are evil but a lack of variety sure is.

This comes up often enough that I feel like it's not just a matter of speech, people seem to feel anyone asking this question actually has a bad diet, you said "eat poorly" earlier too, not just eat too much. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but it comes off wrong to me.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

And there's a world of difference between someone who is spending an hour on a cardio machine and someone who exercises regularly and consistently and has a little bit of common sense about exercise calorie burns and calories in their food.

Why you seem to think this is about a person doing sporadic cardio exercise and eating a bad diet is really peculiar. Do you think a bad diet is compulsory if you do cardio exercise? Throwing out an example of how it might not work does not change the fact many have a lot of success in using exercise to help manage their weight.

I do a lot of long distance cycle events and guess what? The vast majority of those people participating are indeed slim and fit. The common correlation between people who exercise a lot and are a healthy weight should be pretty obvious, well obvious outside the MFP forums perhaps!

I certainly see some chubby riders and I'm sure you see chubby runners but overall the demographics are very different to the general population.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I raise my TDEE enough with exercise to create a deficit with controlling my calories by careful food choice.

They go hand in hand. I can't just blithely eat "whatever" and exercise and lose weight.

I'm a petite older woman. I don't have the luxury of not managing my calories carefully.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

They're the ones who haven't done it.

When I've been training for 1200 km randonnees, I have had to make an effort to eat enough to keep from dropping into the "underweight" category.

Because it isn't my habit to eat a lot, I get over eating a lot very quickly.

Also, it is my habit to eat a lot of things like veggies ... which don't contribute significantly to the calorie count when you're burning several thousand calories.

• Machka9
    edited October 2018
    Options

But some people "pay attention to their diets" as a matter of course. It's how we were brought up.

Also "paying attention to my diet" includes things like not consuming much in the way of dairy products or peanuts or red meat because they don't sit at all well with me in any great quantities.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    There is a saying in the running community..... "you can't outrun a bad diet". That being said, some people can. I can't. LOL!!
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    4 years ago I quit smoking. To make up for it I drank and ate more ended up at 230lbs I was half assed working out during this time. My BMI considers me overweight at 185 or above. 3 years ago, I started circuit training/lifting again after about a 8 month layoff, a lot of met rep type stuff not strength training. I didn't change my diet at all. I quickly dropped to 210 after a few months. Then Plateaued, so I started tracking here again because I knew I needed to start keeping count of cals if I wanted to make back to 185. I also switched to Strength and bodybuilding routines. I now range between 185 and 195 for the last 6 months, so my average is around 191. I look better and am stronger than I have been in years. so to answer your OP yes I lost weight by simply working out, however it only took me so far. In order to push past the last hurdle I needed to get serious about my diet and workout.
  • aokoye
    Options

Another thing that I think some people forget is that MFP is a very self selecting group. Most people are here because they are wanting to manage their weight - either weight loss or weight gain (though it seems like the vast majority are here for weight loss purposes). Additionally the site is designed to count calories at least somewhat effectively.

Given this, it's beyond unsurprising to me that quite a lot of people here are of the opinion that people need to count calories to lose weight and/or maintain weight and that it's impossible to maintain or lose weight without counting calories but by introducing exercise into your week and/or increasing your exercise. (Sorry in advance for that run on sentence)
  • aokoye
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    Stop with the lectures, people.
    Did anyone other than mutantspicy read the actual question?
    I exercise a lot. Tennis three times a week, at least. Running four to five times a week. Some biking. Some weight lifting. (It is not that I am that boring. But I don't drink. So exercise is both my fun and my stress reliever.)
    It does not affect my weight at all. I don't lose a pound. I suspect that is because the more I exercise, the hungrier I get. I also suspect that my body just shuts the metabolism down to conserve -- but, of course, I cannot prove that.
    The only thing I would add is that: I don't diet. I am not really working on losing weight, though I would not mind being five pounds lighter to be faster.
    I would also add that, in my experience knowing a fair number of runners, it is uncommon that someone training for a marathon loses any weight doing it, even though they increase their running mileage to just about the maximum amount that is humanly possible for an average, non-professional individual.
    That said, I am sure that if I restricted my diet I would throw off pounds quite readily given the miles I run.

The question was: "But I was wondering if anyone isn't really dieting (or at least not restricting) and is seeing results through a new fitness routine or by increasing exercise?"
    It seems like quite a lot of people answered that. There are at least eight answers to that question on the first page.
  • Machka9
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    Did anyone other than mutantspicy read the actual question?

Yes.

Asked and answered.
    But I was wondering if anyone isn't really dieting (or at least not restricting) and is seeing results through a new fitness routine or by increasing exercise?
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I have done, and kept it off for a couple decades.

But it requires a lot of work.

More recently I do a combination of exercise and not overeating.

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Sure it can be done. It comes down to the basic principle that you have to eat less than you burn, so if you're exercising so much that you burn more calories than you'd naturally choose to eat, then good for you. I think for most people it doesn't happen that way. Probably depends on how active you are and how much you like to eat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I usually put on 8-10 Lbs in the winter when my exercise and overall activity level dips...I take it off in the spring when my activity level starts to go up and cycling season kicks off...but I do have to be conscious of not altering my diet and eating more to compensate for increased activity, which is a very easy thing to do...so in that regard, I still more or less consider it to be diet...'cuz I could and certainly want to eat more when training kicks off, but I also want to lose the winter weight. I still considering myself to be restricting my diet though because I'm obviously not eating to compensate for additional activity like I would do for maintenance.

Really, it's just semantics.