PCOS

How well did you do using MyFitnessPal and having PCOS? Any tips? What to eat? What not to eat? Amount of exercise? Thanks!

Replies

• briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Paleo works for me. I cut out most sugar, soda, and dairy out.
  • willsgirl2014
    willsgirl2014 Posts: 6 Member
    I find that limiting my carbs drastically is the best way for me.
  • tiffany0127
    tiffany0127 Posts: 378 Member
    Same here. Started with low carb and then morphed into ketogenic. The only thing that worked for me.
  • TamikaThomas0714
    TamikaThomas0714 Posts: 1 Member
    I’m struggling with losing weight. PCOS wrecks havoc on my progress. I am very active and even though I just finished raining for a marathon I still gained 15 pounds. I have an insane sugar addiction and I need tips on how to do better.-
  • HaleCry
    HaleCry Posts: 385 Member
    I have PCOS and hypothyroidism. I lost almost 60lbs (181 to 127) by just calorie counting. Started exercising too but I eat back just over half my exercise calories. I’m short too so I stick to 1200 unless I exercise. Gained some back whilst living in Rome but back on track today to lose the last 30!
  • jessp2011
    jessp2011 Posts: 40 Member
    I also have PCOS and have struggled with my weight for years. I definitely feel like limiting processed sugars help with weight loss. Please add me on here! :)
  • kmarieconboy
    kmarieconboy Posts: 1 Member
    The biggest thing that helped me was learning to eat 5 times per day with a protein and a carb. I never eat a carb by itself because it either spikes my blood sugar (with a subsequent crash) or gives me cravings. I love that MFP will calculate macro percentages because my PCOS nutritionist instructed me to do 30% protein 30% fat and 40% carbs—and that is the sweet spot for me. Whenever I stick to that and eat small meals, my energy levels are good and I consistently lose the weight.
  • Christinaluvly
    Christinaluvly Posts: 116 Member
    I watch my carbs, sugar, and dairy. I eat mostly veggies, meats and nuts. If I eat this way within a caloric deficit, I lose weight and I also feel a lot better. I joined a Facebook group Keto for PCOS and I read testimonial after testimonial about how that way of eating has changed women's lives. It seems to be a miracle diet for some women. It is worth looking into. I follow this way of eating, but I do not know if it is sustainable. I would like to eventually incorporate sweet potatoes and fruit back into my diet. Paleo seems more well balanced to me then Keto. All I know is that Keto helps me feel better and look better and have more energy, it just is not easy to follow.
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    The biggest thing that helped me was learning to eat 5 times per day with a protein and a carb. I never eat a carb by itself because it either spikes my blood sugar (with a subsequent crash) or gives me cravings. I love that MFP will calculate macro percentages because my PCOS nutritionist instructed me to do 30% protein 30% fat and 40% carbs—and that is the sweet spot for me. Whenever I stick to that and eat small meals, my energy levels are good and I consistently lose the weight.

Insightful! I've been doing 40% fat, 30% carbs. 30% protein but always seem sliiiighty over on carbs and no where near on fats so perhaps I'll switch it to the macros you suggested, seems to be my sweet spot too! Thanks!
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Hello cysters! My biggest tip for you is simple. Just keep going. Start small, make some attainable goals, smash them, let the success spur you on, and keep going even when you start to burn out, you'll find your fire again eventually if you stick with it. Everyone is different so take all those "Foods to avoid" lists with a grain of salt. When I first tried dieting when I was first diagnosed I cut out everything and tried keto. It was great and I lost 30 lbs in 3 months! Fabulous - UNTIL - I stopped eating keto because it was not sustainable for me, went on a pasta binge for a year and gained back 50 lbs! I was discouraged, dissapointed in myself, and lacked motivation to change. One day I decided to just change my breakfast. Once I was successful with that I liked how I felt and changed my lunch to something healthier. Dinner just naturally morphed into healthier portions and options too. Each time we try we learn what works and what doesnt - the important thing is we keep going! This time I'm doing moderate carbs and watching my sugars. My diary is open if you want to take a look - its a lifestyle change for me this time not just a diet and as cliche as it sounds its made all the difference for me. Best of luck in your journey!!
  • beckiwill1985
    beckiwill1985 Posts: 3 Member
    I have PCOS as it causes insulin resistance really important to cut out it significantly reduce sugar- also good idea to switch to brown pasta/ rice is you usualky have white!!
  • beckiwill1985
    beckiwill1985 Posts: 3 Member
    What kind of nuts are best to eat?
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Low carb is working for me. I'm on the more extreme side by doing keto, but it's what I'm able to stick with doing. You just have to find what works for you.
    And I'm a dirty keto gal. I have artificially sweetened things to help satisfy my sweet tooth when I want something. I use sugar free coffee creamer in my morning coffee, etc. It's not strict, it's not whole foods, but it is what is working for me.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!