Squat Aleternatives

Options
I can't do squats due to an old injury affecting my hip. What are the best exercises that can be substituted for squats?

Replies

• Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to work your glutes, i'd suggest donkey kicks, fire hydrants, and other pilaties moves. Search fitnessblender on youtube. They have lots of great lower body workouts.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    If you can't do full squats and you are looking for specificity , I would look at partial range of motion squats(half/quarter) or pin press at a range you can do. Leg press is the next closest variation.

If your not already, barbell deadlifts would be a excellent lift. Not exactly a substition for squats because it targets the posterior chain more than quads. If you can perform them, they are useful.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    What are your goals (i.e., what do you hope to accomplish with the exercise?)

Without knowing the above, a few suggestions:
    - Leg press
    - Many variations of lunges (split lunges, reverse lunges, walking lunges, etc.)
    - Weighted step-ups
    - Leg extension machine
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the alternatives and suggestions! I haddone a basic weights routine (squats, deadlift, military press, chest press, biceps, triceps, abs) a couple times a week for years up until two years ago when I mysteriously developed an injury (sacroiliac joint dysfunction). I ended up dropping all weight training while healing and doing PT. I'm now as recovered as I'm going to be I suspect and I'm trying to pick up some weight training. But I notice that a day of full squats results in a flare-up of low back and hip pain, so I need alternatives that work a similar muscle set.