Running and deadlifting - pain in lower back

Options
So I like running and have competed in a half marathon with decent success. So about a year ago I started getting into weight lifting/powerlifting. I like the idea of crossfit where you incorporate strength training with endurance. After starting deadlifting I noticed after a couple miles my back would get very tight, enough so I would have to stop. I took out deadlifting for a bit and my running was great. But wanted to deadlift so again my lower back would start to get tight in center and radiate down my butt, sometimes it would go away after pushing through other times I would have to stop. Want to know if anyone has had this happen and if there are any specific reasons for this? Other than running my back feels fine.

Replies

• antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Watch your form on deadlifts...do you have someone watching you do the lists? You may want to work on core strength as well
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    jesselee10 wrote: »
    So I like running and have competed in a half marathon with decent success. So about a year ago I started getting into weight lifting/powerlifting. I like the idea of crossfit where you incorporate strength training with endurance. After starting deadlifting I noticed after a couple miles my back would get very tight, enough so I would have to stop. I took out deadlifting for a bit and my running was great. But wanted to deadlift so again my lower back would start to get tight in center and radiate down my butt, sometimes it would go away after pushing through other times I would have to stop. Want to know if anyone has had this happen and if there are any specific reasons for this? Other than running my back feels fine.

Bad form on your deadlifts probably
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

When taking up weights, have you had a trainer teach you form? Deadlifting form is not obvious and you can permanently damage your back if you do it wrong. I know many people rely on videos etc, but while I am sure some are methodical and careful enough they can do it on their own, many just do not realise how wrong whatever they are actually doing is compared to correct form.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Make sure you hinge at your hips and lift from your legs, not your back. When I feel it in my back I know I'm doing something wrong. You could also try foam rolling and stretching because DL could be be causing something in your posterior chain to tighten up after you finish, even if you are doing it correctly.
  • jesselee10
    jesselee10 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Always working on improving form. Just weird that running irritates my back, wondering what exactly does running do that makes it sore. Maybe constant pounding, jarring the lower back?
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I had a back issue and was told the extending of the leg back aggravates it. Running uphill was especially bad for it. Have you tried stretching out your hamstrings? Might help. Everything is connected
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Bad form is your culprit, for either/or. As other posters have commented on correcting your deadlifts, I will address the running. Over arching your lower back during your runs could cause lower back spasms. I for one, need to watch this during and before my menses, as I tend to favor my right side and oddly enough I tend to round off my shoulders, pushing them back in an exaggerated position, creating an arch to my lower back as I walk/run. Alexander techniques have helped immensely before and after my walk/runs .
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I agree on checking your form.

Running might aggravate your back though because people who run often have tight hamstrings. Tight hamstrings can manifest itself in lower back pain. Foam roll before and after both lifting and running. Regular massage therapy can help too.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Form/technique is obviously the first concern. Beyond that, 99% of my back pain comes from a tight posterior chain. Stretch/roll/massage/whatever your hams and glutes... see if that helps.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    Your problem is the crossfit - more specifically the form. There is nothing inherently wrong with the idea of crossfit - the military/bodybuilders/strongman were doing it for years and called it circuit training. The problem with modern crossfit is that it places more emphasis on reps over time than it does on form. I am not making this up...have you seen their kipping/butterfly pull ups? Can you say "shoulder problems"? The same goes for Deadlifts...if you are doing crossfit, you are probably doing high rep sets of Deadlifts - the problem with this is that the deadlift is one of the most dangerous lifts and form is everything...and no one is going to have good form for 30 reps especially after doing 20 pull-ups, junping rope for 1 minute, and doing 10 box jumps.

I'm not against crossfit or circuit training in general, I actually did a bit of it in the past, but I definitely noticed that the trainers do not emphasise form the same way it is done in traditional bodybuilding, strongman, powerlifting etc.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Poor form, weak core, wrong shoes. Could be any combo of the three.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I would look ino your form deadlifting as well as running. You might be overextending your back on one/both and/or shooting hips on the deads.

Being sore is part of lifting but programming can remedy this to a point. What does your programming look like on both activities?
  • jesselee10
    jesselee10 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the person addressing the running part, i will work on foam rolling and stretching my hamstrings better. I usually just do my lower back. I’ve been doing alot of hamstring exercises so probably tight.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I used to get back pain trail running (mainly uphills), climbing, cycling when my core was weaker - I don't have any issues with it now (most of my increased core strength came from weightlifting- especially bent over rows).

Where are you feeling it when actually doing deadlifts? If feeling it a lot in the back versus hamstrings, maybe drop back weight and work on form.

If not a deadlift form issue, maybe your running form is breaking down from fatigued legs (in which case the timing of your strength sessions versus running might be improved. For me personally, DOMS sets in the next day - strength in the morning does not seem to affect my runs that same evening, but I will feel some extra fatigue the next evening after).
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Go see a doctor or physio.

I can only speak for myself, but when I suffered strained back muscles quite frequently for a period I went and saw a physio and he advised that I strengthen my hamstrings in order to address my back problems. I haven't had any problems since.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    running longer distance also makes form much more important.
    make sure you are tucking your hips under your shoulders and not running with a duck butt (extra sway in your back)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Has anyone mentioned piriformis sydrome?
    I don't get it from running. But I have gotten it from lifting. I would feel it on long drives especially.
    You might want to google it.
    The piriformis is a small hip muscle and the sciatic nerve travels next to it or through it -- which is what makes me think that is what you might have, since you mentioned the pain radiating down your butt. Piriformis pain often radiates like that. Mine certainly did.
    When you injure or irritate the piriformis, it gets inflamed and swells, and that puts pressure on the nerve.
    As I said, mine got aggravated when I sat for long periods. But I could see that running might aggravate too, as your hip (and piriformis) moves moves moves.
    There are stretches for it. You can get it better. And, if you do, you can continue to deadlift and run.
    (I suspect if your deadlift form was the problem, you would hurt yourself when you deadlifted, not when you ran.)
  • rmangisi
    rmangisi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the person addressing the running part, i will work on foam rolling and stretching my hamstrings better. I usually just do my lower back. I’ve been doing alot of hamstring exercises so probably tight.

Hey did you ever get this fixed. I experience exactly the same problem...After leg day on Tuesdays..when I then run on thursdays after about 2km my back is on fire and I can barely run...I end up walking and doing stretches..
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Always working on improving form. Just weird that running irritates my back, wondering what exactly does running do that makes it sore. Maybe constant pounding, jarring the lower back?

Forgive me if I'm only saying what's already been said.

Deadlifts are great but form is vital and deadlifts do compress the spine so that could explain that radiating pain down the back. Proper mobility of the t spine and decompression exercises after deadlifting are equally important.