Told to Gain Weight

Options
2»

Replies

• pkweier
    pkweier Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    pkweier wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your support. I'm ,5'5 weigh 125 My family also think I could gain a little weight back they see me as bony. I have been in maintenance since September 2017 at that time I was 155 lost 30 more pounds since then. I appreciate all your help and feedback.

Then you haven't been maintaining...

I guess you could say that. I have been at 125 for a few months now so the correct statement should be since July 2018 I've been maintaining that weight.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    You're at a perfectly healthy weight and BF percentage. As long as you're happy, there's no need to gain.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Don't worry about it. If you're happy where you're at then stay there. You're at a healthy weight, I don't know why she would suggest you gain or lose weight. Given that it was a crossfit setting I wonder if that had something to do with her suggestion (crossfit people probably want to look more athletic or something)
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your support. I'm ,5'5 weigh 125 My family also think I could gain a little weight back they see me as bony. I have been in maintenance since September 2017 at that time I was 155 lost 30 more pounds since then. I appreciate all your help and feedback.

I'm a similar height and weight, 5'4 115 lbs (19.7 BMI) . My doctor said since i'm very active i'm lean and healthy. If you feel good and think you look good then don't change a thing :) .
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,605 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    What may help you is to run some realistic numbers for yourself and experiment with them and a trending weight app if you're not already using one.

And doing so before your trip as opposed to remaining "frozen" in anticipation of your trip and fear of gain during it.

As you've stated them (and as is borne out by your continued weight loss experience), your numbers are not making too much sense.

Your maintenance Calories are not sub 1500, and a loss of 30lbs in a year argues that your maintenance during that year was at a minimum in the 1800 range, assuming you were eating at least your MFP target.

A quick look at online calculators puts your maintenance between 2100 to 2400 based on semi-random assumptions about your actual activity level being between active and very active once you factor in exercise and everything else that you do.

Where exactly you fall between 1800 and 24 or even 2500 remains to be seen and experimented upon...

But I think that most would agree that, assuming you're allowing them to be involved in the first place, people who have been told you're maintaining and then see you lose 20% of your body weight in a year are not out of line if they express some concern!

You may want to look at the re-feeds and diet breaks thread.

Thinking of this as starting with a re-feed that then extends into a semi-permanent diet break may help you make the transition between the "perma-cut" I suspect you're on and actual "maintenance".

It goes without saying that you've achieved impressive results and that you're definitely in line for congratulations for your success and dedication so far!

PS: none of the above addresses or advocates any changes to your actual weight level, other than to suggest that you should allow for normal fluctuations.
  • pkweier
    pkweier Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    CJ_Holmes wrote: »
    Congrats on all your hard work! People will always have an opinion on a woman's body. CrossFit idealizes a high level of muscularity. Your family is used to you looking like you used to, or like them. Fashion changes and your butt is either going to be too big or small depending on the decade.

Ask yourself "Do I have energy?" "Can I enjoy food?" "Are my periods regular?" "Is my hair staying on my head?" "Do I enjoy my body?" If the answer is "yes!" then everyone else's opinions about what you look like don't matter!

Thank you my answers to your questions are Yes except one no longer have periods way pass that stage.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    she runs a mobile weight fitness unit - and most likely feels like she has to give advice. How qualified is she? Opinions are a dime a dozen.. if you're in your healthy BMI range who cares. Do what you want.. sounds like she started back tracking when she realized you knew what you were talking about and took it so seriously.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Everyone has an opinion and most of them have no idea what they are talking about!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all the people who have responded. it was her words that I was having issues with getting out of my head. I'm doing much better today.I'm sure what played into my mindset is I'm leave for a 12 day cruise in a few weeks and I'm sure there will be some weight gain there although I'm going to try to behave and watch what I eat and drink. 2 years ago when I was gone for 2 week cruise I :"gained" 7 pounds it came off with two weeks.

I'm going on a cruise too...next week :smiley: each cruise I gain an average of 2lbs of fat, a few weeks eating at calorie deficit again sorts that :smile: Have fun and enjoy!

Ruth