First Bulk--How High Should I Go?

Options
I am in the middle of my bulk where I started out at around 130lbs at 5'7, male, 23. I was doing research across the country and with all of the obligation just started to drop the weight over the summer. I want to really have a successful slow bulk this time around. I have been gaining on approximately 0.5lbs/week so far, which apparently is the sweet spot.

However, I am curious as to how long I should take a good lean bulk to, weight wise? Obviously, excess fat gain is not the goal, but I also do not want to terminate a successful lean bulk too early to cut.

So, what amount of weight gain is best on an initial lean bulk before doing a quick cut? If this answer might be too nebulous, what percentage of weight gain is muscle compared to fat on a well-orchestrated lean bulk? As in, how much of that 2lbs/month is muscle vs. fat? From there I can calculate a number that is roughly acceptable for me, as I am currently around 10-12% body fat based off of rough BF scales.

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    The amount of scale weight gain is going to be different for everyone; conventional wisdom suggests bulking to 15% body fat as some evidence suggests efficiency suffers beyond that. FWIW you’re probably better off not relying on the scale for body fat as those are notoriously inaccurate and typically use a lot of extrapolation based on height, age and weight.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    For me it's not so much about weight, but bodyfat, comfort, and time. If I want to be lean for summer or an event that kind of tells me how I need to plan my bulk and cut.

I am female, same stats as you but the most I've gained on a bulk was 14.5lbs over 8lbs. That was my personal maximum based on comfort and time. However this was without a mini-cut so I probably could have gone longer if I had time. Your situation as a male will be different and you can likely gain much more

Here is a great article by Lyle McDonald about muscle gain

https://bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/muscle-gain-math.html/
  • dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    So if I can summarize, there probably isn't much planning on when to stop that I can do? I want to eventually be in the 155lb range with about the same waist size (28/29) as I do now. I know this will take time and I am committed to the long haul.

I keep looking up online that if my split is 50% muscle and 50% fat for each pound, then even if I gain slowly, I will be looking at around 17% BF at 150lbs. In practice, I have trouble believing this because I have seen so many people gain like 40lbs in a year and not look soft whatsoever. So, is that because everyone is different? Or is the 50/50 muscle:fat rule not really operational?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It could be a number of factors, where they store fat, if they took cuts in between, hormones/substances etc. It will likely take you more than one bulk cycle to reach your goal, so don't be discouraged if you don't get there in one go.

Remember to take measurements, plenty of photos, how clothes fit, workouts, the mirror to gauge progress. When you start to get close to 15-17% you can cut, then do it all over again.
  • dpr73
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    It could be a number of factors, where they store fat, if they took cuts in between, hormones/substances etc. It will likely take you more than one bulk cycle to reach your goal, so don't be discouraged if you don't get there in one go.

Remember to take measurements, plenty of photos, how clothes fit, workouts, the mirror to gauge progress. When you start to get close to 15-17% you can cut, then do it all over again.

Got it. That's definitely the plan at this point. I want to gauge how clothing fits for sure, I tried one bulk in the past and put on 10lbs to 150 over the course of three months. None of my clothes fit differently and I had assumed I did things wrong. I stupidly let all of the weight just come back off and I returned to my starting weight. I definitely do not want to be stuck there either
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    dpr73 wrote: »
    So if I can summarize, there probably isn't much planning on when to stop that I can do? I want to eventually be in the 155lb range with about the same waist size (28/29) as I do now. I know this will take time and I am committed to the long haul.

I keep looking up online that if my split is 50% muscle and 50% fat for each pound, then even if I gain slowly, I will be looking at around 17% BF at 150lbs. In practice, I have trouble believing this because I have seen so many people gain like 40lbs in a year and not look soft whatsoever. So, is that because everyone is different? Or is the 50/50 muscle:fat rule not really operational?

Pictures and typical real life experiences aren't the same
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    How long will depend on how you respond to training and how comfortable you are with added body weight.

If I were you're stats I would head towards 160 and see how things go, but that is mind set and how I respond to training.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Agreed. It’s either enhanced or it took them 8 years but they said it was X months..followed with “ just buy this”...

As for the 1:1 muscle to fat ratio. That’s under perfect circumstances, Great training program, solid diet , good genetics but it is what you should aim for. It’s also nearly impossible to accurately measure anyways so don’t get to hung up on it. Just try to gain about 2-3 pounds per month and make sure you track your lifts. They should be going up in some manner over time. Weight or reps or same volume over reduced rest etc. progressive overload

You will stall periodically in which case deload or up calories slightly or both

• dpr73
    Options
    jdog022 wrote: »

Agreed. It’s either enhanced or it took them 8 years but they said it was X months..followed with “ just buy this”...

As for the 1:1 muscle to fat ratio. That’s under perfect circumstances, Great training program, solid diet , good genetics but it is what you should aim for. It’s also nearly impossible to accurately measure anyways so don’t get to hung up on it. Just try to gain about 2-3 pounds per month and make sure you track your lifts. They should be going up in some manner over time. Weight or reps or same volume over reduced rest etc. progressive overload

You will stall periodically in which case deload or up calories slightly or both
    These are people I know in real life (close friends or even family that I have seen make the change). So I can definitely trust that what they say is true. And they definitely do not look flabby. I would love to get to 160lbs as the previous poster said before running a cut. My fear is looking unfit and unhealthy. While I love weight training, my primary goal is to always look athletic and healthy. I do not want to start looking like I do not prioritize my own health, as that's a huge factor for me.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    jdog022 wrote: »

These are people I know in real life (close friends or even family that I have seen make the change). So I can definitely trust that what they say is true. And they definitely do not look flabby. I would love to get to 160lbs as the previous poster said before running a cut. My fear is looking unfit and unhealthy. While I love weight training, my primary goal is to always look athletic and healthy. I do not want to start looking like I do not prioritize my own health, as that's a huge factor for me.

First and foremost don’t compare yourself to anyone. The playing field is not even. They’re genetically gifted maybe. You need to stop that because it’s not relevant and you may set yourself up for disappointment. You are only competing with yourself and Father Time in this “sport”.

Second all my same suggestions still apply. Your not going to look unfit and unhealthy unless your dirty bulk for 12 months. Lean bulk and see what happens.