Do you eat bc it is "time" to eat or bc you're hungry?

Typical day at work: Do you eat your snack or lunch once you feel hungry or do you eat because it is "time to eat because it is almost 1 pm or snack time?"

I'd like to entice some healthy debate. I often see people saying they only eat when hungry because they listen to their body.....or those who say they just eat to eat, which leads to weight gain.

What do you do? And why?

Someone on my page answered: I usually eat at my regular times... doesn't matter if I am hungry or not.

My response to that is: What makes it your regular time to eat if you aren't hungry? Social norms?

So, what do you do? And if you only eat once hungry, does that time change daily? Or is your hungry on a schedule?

Replies

• hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    I have a set schedule for when I eat a meal/snack. It may fluctuate depending on how I'm feeling but I have like an hour window for each meal/snack that I fit in. I also eat about every 2 hours or so because I get hangry if I don't snack between meals.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I eat when I'm hungry because I never have an issue reaching my caloric intake goal. If I was regularly coming in under goal or over goal I would schedule it out better.
  • Lately, I've been eating every 2 to 3 hours. Seems better this way. I don't tend to over eat or get cravings
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I eat when I'm hungry, but I also sometimes eat based on time in order to avoid reaching the point of feeling "too hungry", and because scheduling works that way sometimes in life.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    It depends. If I have quite a bit of calories left for the day and I have a craving, as long as it's healthy-ish and won't destroy my day, I'll have it. Otherwise I wait until I'm hungry.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    I eat when I'm hungry, but I also sometimes eat based on time in order to avoid reaching the point of feeling "too hungry", and because scheduling works that way sometimes in life.

Yeah....that's probably the best explanation. I normally eat lunch once I'm hungry....not at a specific time, but my mood dictates my hunger a lot, so if I'm upset, I'm never going to get hungry, so I will eat by 3 or so if I'm not feeling hungry yet because I have to digest it enough in order to work out after work. So, yeah, it depends due to life.

Nonetheless, I normally only eat once I'm hungry. I eat breakfast first thing when I wake up, but then my snack is once I'm hungry, my lunch is once I'm hungry, my pre-workout snack is once I'm hungry after lunch and then my dinner is once I'm home from the gym and I'm starving!
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    If I ate when I was hungry, I'd rarely eat. So I eat at certain times.
  • Eastern_Echo23
    Eastern_Echo23 Posts: 198 Member
    I eat when i am hungry to a point. I try not to eat past 8pm unless its fruit or veggies. If you sleep with a full stomach then your body is spending energy trying to digest the food you ate. So really your losing out on sleep. So when 8pm is coming and I haven't ate dinner yet and I don't feel hungry, i like to make a slice of bread, with cheese and maybe some meat (back before i was a vegetarian) or a bowl of cereal or something. Use good judgement, there are benefits to a food schedule like if your busy with family duties or have a job that travels a lot. But right now im a typical college kid and I am always home so I wing it when i am hungry
  • AnthonyKolka
    AnthonyKolka Posts: 74 Member
    I tend to do a bit of both but since I am hungry a lot I try to stick to the eat when I am scheduled to eat plan.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    I eat when it's time to eat but only if I'm hungry. If I'm not hungry I either don't eat or eat something small.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 674 Member
    I eat when I am hungry,... which happens to be almost all the time! lol... all joking aside I eat like every two hours!
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    I try to pay really good attention to my hunger and satiety cues and only eat when I'm hungry. I stop when I'm no longer hungry for the next bite. It's working really well!
  • I'm constantly hungry so I eat at or around scheduled times. If I ate when I was hungry I'd be eating all day long. :ohwell:
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    I eat when I'm hungry. Sometimes I eat my breakfast when I first get to work, sometimes it's mid morning, sometimes not at all. And I stop eating when I'm not hungry anymore, which is why I rarely finish a meal.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    As a stay at home mom, my own needs are often pushed back in dealing with the needs of my little one, and I can miss realizing I'm hungry until I'm at the HUNGRY-eat-everything-in-the-house stage. So I often eat because it's "time" … although that "time" is often determined by his hunger (1 year olds don't follow a clock, they're hungry when it's time to eat).

And then there are days on the opposite end of the spectrum, where I feel like I want to eat when I really don't need to … not really hungry, just have an appetite (you could call it boredom, even with chasing after a 1 year old). I moderate this by waiting until it's "time" so that I don't snack all day.

Either way, as long as my calories are in the right range, that's what's important, right?
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Depends on my situation. I normally eat lunch at 11:15am and dinner right at 6pm. If I have to go somewhere that'll have me occupied from, say, 3pm-7pm, I'll have a snack before I go because I'd be in pain from hunger before I had the opportunity to eat again.

Know your schedule, the approximate times you get hungry, and adjust your eating schedule accordingly.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Yes.
  • AndiGirl70
    AndiGirl70 Posts: 542 Member
    Because I have a love affair with food I find it best for me if I schedule my eating across 6 small meals a day which I pre-plan. Otherwise I would snack all day long and not necessarily on healthy choices. Its my attempt at behavior modification and control.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    I generally eat at certain times, whether I am hungry or not. But I am usually hungry, so it is kind of a moot point.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Yes.

Social norm? lol