Long car rides and bloat - is this a thing?

Options
Just got back from a trip where we were in the car for about 12 hours ... of course, occasional stops, etc., so totally really 10 hours. I noticed that I have been realllllly bloated for the last two days since arriving home. The scale says I gained 4 pounds, which isn't possible from the food I ate (stayed pretty much as I usually eat), and I am drinking quantities of water to get rid of the bloat. Just wondered if anyone has had this issue? I do always get it from plane rides, even ones that are only about 4 - 5 hours. Don't usually do car rides that long. Is this a thing?

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I would imagine being sedentary that long would have an effect. Give it a week!
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Yes -- being seated for that long, and any sodium increases from your trip (unless everything was homemade, the odds are really, really good that it's more sodium than you usually eat) would do it.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    YES! Every darn time. And if I'm on a plane my ankles swell to double their size, I gain 5-10 pounds and it takes two weeks to come off.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I am on vacation.. I took a long flight. my fingers looked like sausages for a few days and my rings are still tight. It is the travel for sure.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I just spent three days traveling by car. Blowt can also be from change in water and food. Today is my third day since traveling and the bloat has all whooshed away. I believe the water retention is due to all the sitting, plus I feel the stress of days and days of watching things speed by me at an unatural rate visually, even though it was a beautiful trip.
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I knew that flights did this b/c they always do this to me, but I haven't taken a long car ride in years. This was 10 hours of driving with stops that made it 12, but the stops were quick ones. It surprised me that I bloated up about 5 lbs. And yes, it did go away within about 4 days, but this was a new one on me!!!
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    UGH, Plane rides kill me. I get so bloated. Just started happening last year.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    The primary cause of Oedema (the bloating you're talking about) is prolonged sitting or standing.