Would you log walking to the gym?

Options
2»

Replies

• CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If it were the case for me, I'd wear my HRM during the walk to/from and log the calories burned from that. I tend to walk fast, so it counts!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    As long as you're getting your heart rate up at a brisk walk, I would for sure log it.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I usually walk to and from the gym at a brisk pace. I usually do include the time as part of my workout. Walk to gym, then I do weights or yoga, then walk home. I don't include other walking I do through the day, usually.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Do you chew gum with it too? Log that. It counts.

According to Livestrong.com:

Chewing gum burns calories because it is a heat producing, non-exercise activity. According to a study noted in the December 30, 1999 issue of the "New England Journal of Medicine," it took participants just 12 minutes of gum chewing to burn 11 calories.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    yes i would, but my activity levels are set to "sedentary" so I log batting my eyelashes and other nonsense.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I would. It is exercise.
  • 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends on what lifestyle factor you chose when you calculated your TDEE. If you said sedentary I would log it because it is an activity that would be out of the norm for that group. If you said you live an active lifestyle I would NOT log it as that has already been taken into consideration to calculate your TDEE and you have already accounted for burning those calories.

This
  • tamadrummer001
    tamadrummer001 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I cannot see why anyone would not log it. You are doing the work. If you wear a pedometer, it could care less whether or not you are walking to the bathroom or to the gym and it counts every step you take. I would count every step I take to the gym too.

I drive to my gym but if I was walking to the gym I would be counting every single step I walked to the gym.
  • ttat0325
    ttat0325 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'd log it if you set your activity to Sedentary.
  • jess6742
    jess6742 Posts: 146
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately I sit at a desk all day so I count myself as sedentary. I do a lot of walking and I definitely don't count all of it. I walk the same distance to and from work and the same when I go to the grocery store but its definitely not a brisk walk. Its really only my walk to the gym that I pick up the pace :-)
  • sokkache
    sokkache Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    No, I rarely even log when I am in the gym. I think I only log when I play sports like volleyball or tennis. Sometimes I eat back exercise calories but more than often, I don't.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I guess you should log it. I do my normal 30-60 minute workout and log it and eat back all my exercise calories, but i also have fitbit and try to walk a lot in the day(sedentary job here too) to get as many steps in as possible. I do not log those. But if and when i am hungry(which is a lot), i will eat those calories too :) i count them as luxury calories :D
  • jess6742
    jess6742 Posts: 146
    Options
    I really like that term "luxury calories." I think I might call them that as well :)

Thanks everyone for responding! I liked the varied responses and rationale behind eating or not eating them. I think I'm going to compromise and count them some days and not others. Once this stomach bug gets worked out I should be back on track :)
  • fatsnacker
    fatsnacker Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    yes, fast or slow, it all counts
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I walk to the gym. I don't explicitly log it, but I let the FitBit adjust as it sees fit. A moot point if you don't have a FitBit.