Need help/advice with IIFYM

Options
I went online to that website that has a calculator for "If it fits your macros". I was shocked at the results I got in my email. It said I should eat a little over 1200 calories! At my height and weight 5'3 and 274 lb, I'd be passing out at 1200 calories and sure I'd lose weight but I'd be sick and starving all the time and likely end up cheating. Could it be a mistake in their calculations? I currently eat around 1800 a day and I feel comfortable with that so maybe the IIFYM isn't for me at this point in my weight loss journey. ?? Don't know what to think. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do? Did it work out well for you at a low calorie amount?

Replies

• alphacentauri2015
    Options
    It could be a mistake. Are you on the official IIFYM website? I am 5’4 at 290lbs and I am supposed to have between 1800-2000calories per day for a 250-500 cal deficit (healthy loss) if want to lose extra quickly it could go down another 500 cal (to the 1300 you mentioned) but they advise against it as it is not sustainable for most people.
    One reason I like this plan is that it doesn’t demonize foods and it does not suggest to drastically reduce caloric intake.
    https://www.iifym.com/macro-calculator/
  • swatson99
    swatson99 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's the website I did. I chose sedentary when I'm probably lightly active at least. I mean I walk 3-4 times per week for 20 minutes and do the stationery recumbent bike a couple times a week for 15 minutes. Plus I do grocery shopping in 3 stores usually, other shopping, housework, errands. So maybe it's my fault that I came up with 1200. I tried to do the calculator a second time but it wouldn't allow me. Oh well. Thanks for your insights.
  • swatson99
    swatson99 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Never mind. It did the recalculation and came up with 2100 this time. Wow what a difference.