Press pause to pee?

Options
When you're out cycling (or running) and you stop to pee, or if you're with a group and you stop at the top of a hill to regroup after spreading out, do you pause your fitness tracker or keep the timer running?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My Garmin has auto pause, so when I stop moving it stops.
  • bjdw_1977
    bjdw_1977 Posts: 442 Member
    Options

My Suunto doesn't. I paused it at a short stop to regroup yesterday and forgot to start it again until we'd gone about 5k's. Strava and Endo both fill the gap with a straight line on the map so it's got to do funny things to the stats.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options
    Strava auto-pauses. Or at least I've got it set up that way.
  • bjdw_1977
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

I'll have to have a play with the settings. I haven't been using it long.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Me too - on your phone press the record activity button and on the next screen the settings menu is on the top left.
  • Wen2Run
    Wen2Run Posts: 62 Member
    Options

My Suunto doesn't. I paused it at a short stop to regroup yesterday and forgot to start it again until we'd gone about 5k's. Strava and Endo both fill the gap with a straight line on the map so it's got to do funny things to the stats.

Which Suunto do you have, because it should have an auto-pause feature in the settings. Personally I never pause my watch when I'm running. You are stopping, which is effecting your heart rate, giving your legs a short but often welcome break, all of which can then effect how the next part of your run goes.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    When you're out cycling (or running) and you stop to pee, or if you're with a group and you stop at the top of a hill to regroup after spreading out, do you pause your fitness tracker or keep the timer running?

Just keep the timer running. In the grand scheme of things it's not making a huge difference to the training data. Specifically in an event it's still time that I'm not moving, so it's a more accurate representation of the reality.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Just keep the timer running. In the grand scheme of things it's not making a huge difference to the training data. Specifically in an event it's still time that I'm not moving, so it's a more accurate representation of the reality.

I prefer to use auto stop as the vast majority of my riding is training and not events. I want to be able to compare my actual riding performance without the random input of traffic conditions and other stops/starts.

I can appreciate it's a bit different for running though.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    My Garmin Forerunner breaks out total time and "moving" time so if I stop for whatever reason, red light, pee, train, I can keep the timer running and compare moving times. This allows me to compare times where I've had a "rest".
  • bjdw_1977
    Options

It's a Suunto Spartan Trainer Wrist HR. I'll have a play with the settings but I think I will probably just keep it running from now on.
  • bjdw_1977
    Options
    I figure that if I stop to pee in an event, the clock keeps running, so I don't pause during training runs. Stopping to pee cost me a sub-2 half marathon last year though, I was so close :)

Is it better to miss your target than to pee your pants? :wink:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I figure that if I stop to pee in an event, the clock keeps running, so I don't pause during training runs. Stopping to pee cost me a sub-2 half marathon last year though, I was so close :)

Is it better to miss your target than to pee your pants? :wink:

There's a reason many competitive cyclists & triathletes wear black shorts.......
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I have a habit on runs now to pause at lights, and start when I go again.
    On bike I had way too many forgetful starts, so that's set auto-pause. (which gets annoying when doing trail ride with kiddo and going slow enough up hill to pause)
    Garmin FR310 makes it easy.

On a race I do have to remember to remove the auto-pause, usually not an issue since no lights unless I stop on my own and it should count.

On training I want actually fitness time stats for comparison.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I pause my watch whenever I stop, whether it's at stoplights, to chase off a dog, to let traffic go by, to pee, etc. I want to know what my running pace is, not my overall time on my feet. In a race there are a lot fewer reasons to stop, ideally.

I don't use the autopause because it was too erratic, not stopping exactly when I stopped or starting when I started, and once on a trail run it turned itself off erratically when I went under trees or when the cliff cut off satellite signal. My 5 mile run became a 3 mile run. It's easier to just pause it myself.