Is my maintenance weight okay?

Hi everyone, I have a question regarding maintenance weight. I've been weighing 58 kgs (127.86 lbs) for a long time now (about 8 months). I have to give some background story: I have had anorexia and in March 2016 I was at my lowest weight. I gained weight rather fast and have been at the min. healthy weight since about December 2016. 58 kgs was always what I weighed before I developed anorexia. However, I still feel as if this is quite high for my length. I am 1.70 meters (about 5'7). I am not sure if these thoughts are still lingering thoughts from the period of my eating disorder, and I might have Body Dysmorphia. But I find it quite difficult to cope with all the fit bodies around me and on social media. I weighed myself this morning and I gained 1 kg in a day (so 59 kg). However, I ate a lot of salt yesterday and haven't been to the toilet (sorry, tmi). I tend to eat between 2200 and 2400 kcals. I work out about 3 times to 4 times a week (cardio + weight lifting) and I am active on the other days (walk a lot). I have a stressful job (consultant, two projects). Am I eating too much? I am contemplating going back to a psychologist because I don't think these thoughts are normal. What are your objective views?

Replies

• conductor7
    conductor7 Posts: 1 Member
    OK, it looks like the stress is talking. Not having seen you, I can talk only in generalities as a certified personal trainer. Re body weight - the number is at the low limit of the healthy range for a female of your height, regardless the age. The image of athletic bodies in the gym might be telling you that you lack muscle. Muscle is heavy and dense. A female body builder your height might weight 25 lbs more and the poundage will be muscle, not fat. Your question might be how to get to the level of fitness that you want. It takes an implementation of strategically designed lifestyle counteracting effects of contemporary work style: combination of adequate R&R, especially sleep, highly nutritious diet (rich in clean macro-nutrients, greens and healthy fats in proportions and amount supporting building muscle), and muscle building combination of resistance and aerobic training. I am 5'7" and on the path of building healthy lifestyle. I was on the obese end of the spectrum, but turned around to leave it 3 years ago. It takes help of a team of professionals. To build and maintain your 'good place' keep learning about physiology of well-being.
    Generally speaking: the amount of protein in the diet increases by a factor of 2 or more over the plain living allowance for your weight/sex/age when you spend above 3 hours a week in resistance training at about 85% of your max. A slight caloric surplus is needed, and active rest is needed, and more water as well when building muscle. Since the muscle is dense, your dimensions may shrink, while your body weight increases. The last note: enjoyment is a part of the plan.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited October 2018
    "I am not sure if these thoughts are still lingering thoughts from the period of my eating disorder"
    Sounds like it to me.

"I am contemplating going back to a psychologist because I don't think these thoughts are normal."
    Agree and I think that is a very good idea.

Best of luck.

• corysmithsmail
    corysmithsmail Posts: 166 Member
    laura9503 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I have a question regarding maintenance weight. I've been weighing 58 kgs (127.86 lbs) for a long time now (about 8 months). I have to give some background story: I have had anorexia and in March 2016 I was at my lowest weight. I gained weight rather fast and have been at the min. healthy weight since about December 2016. 58 kgs was always what I weighed before I developed anorexia. However, I still feel as if this is quite high for my length. I am 1.70 meters (about 5'7). I am not sure if these thoughts are still lingering thoughts from the period of my eating disorder, and I might have Body Dysmorphia. But I find it quite difficult to cope with all the fit bodies around me and on social media. I weighed myself this morning and I gained 1 kg in a day (so 59 kg). However, I ate a lot of salt yesterday and haven't been to the toilet (sorry, tmi). I tend to eat between 2200 and 2400 kcals. I work out about 3 times to 4 times a week (cardio + weight lifting) and I am active on the other days (walk a lot). I have a stressful job (consultant, two projects). Am I eating too much? I am contemplating going back to a psychologist because I don't think these thoughts are normal. What are your objective views?

I think your bolded sentence is the key here. Coming from anorexia or from obesity, I think body dysmophia always plays a role to different extents. I also think that most of the time when people ask a question, they already know the answer and just want confirmation or reassurance.

Sounds like you are doing all the right things physically. As previous commenters, I think you should talk to a psychologist about it as well. Just as we need to maintain our physical health, we need to maintain our mental health as well. Good luck!
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Your ED is telling you there's a problem where no weight problem exists. Go back to your treatment team/psychologist.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    I was in recovery (aside from very brief blips) for about 14 years, and now I'm about to have my initial assessment for CBT for bulimia. This is a process. You'll have better periods and rough periods, and it's always a good idea to reach out for help when you recognise you've slid back.