Food to come home to in the evenings?

Options
2»

Replies

• Scubdup
    Scubdup Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have 2 kids whom I pick up from sports at different times wednesday evening. They are both starving, so I need to serve them something quick.
    The youngest get some scrables egg, some vegetables in snacksizes, and some ryebread. The eldest usually gets microwaved left overs, and I grab some salad with random protein. I make a big portion of salad 2 times pr week, and just need to weigh the portion I need. For protein i use leftovers, canned fisk, eggs or whatever else I have available
    Find out what you would like to eat, and prep it before leaving the house
    Thanks - I think making something in the morning to come home to after work is a good idea. Might make up some tuna-mayonnaise for a quick sandwich.
    you can eat whatever you like that fits your calories and macros.

if you don't want to cook when you get home, then you'll have to meal prep at the weekends or one or 2 evening a week, buy ready meals or have crackers and cheese or whatever other snack-y food that you like.

i would also disagree with you that the breakfast and lunch 'strategy' is working if its causing you to overeat as soon as you get home...
    Thanks. I appreciate the critique (even if it is a bit "Internet Requires Me to Prove I Can Read Rebelliously" :p )
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Crock pot, you’ll come home to a delicious hot ready made home cooked meal. Try these chicken thighs and just microwave some frozen veggies to go with it when you get home.
    https://dinnerthendessert.com/slow-cooker-brown-sugar-garlic-chicken/
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    Slow cooker meals - chili, soups, pot roast, chicken, etc.
    The Slow Cooker! Of course. Thanks. I'd forgotten about that! Need to dig it out. Excellent suggestion.
    I highly recommend meal prepping at least once a week so you can have dinners ready when you get home. I use those quick marinade packets from Mccormick to flavor up chicken breasts and add whatever steamable, microwave veggies I like to the container. You could add potato, rice, quinoa, whatever. This way it's done when you get home and only takes a quick few minutes to heat up. Also, a little bit of salsa on top of plain chicken breasts makes a delicious chicken :)
    Niiiice! That got the saliva glands going!
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    How many calories? It sounds like you are not using many calories during the day with just a lunch protein shake so 600 calories might not be terrible. I'd think at least 300 calories wouldn't be bad to plan for a snack.

Deviled eggs
    Sandwich or wrap
    Veggies or pita chips and hummus or guacamole
    Veggies and any low calorie dip
    Plain veggies
    Large salad
    Popcorn
    Pretzels
    Yogurt... with fruit, nuts or granola added if desired
    Muffin
    Bagel
    Cottage cheese
    Cooked meat
    Instant oatmeal
    Canned soup
    Pasta salad
    Banana, apple or orange
    Celery with peanut butter or cheese
    Bean burrito

I usually have an remaining allowance of about 1700 calories left by the time I get home, so 300-600 for the snack is usually fine - you're spot on. I like the sound of a lot of your suggestions: pita and hummus! Perfect.
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Make big batches of meals so you can reheat it in 2 minutes.

Casseroles, stew, chili... Seriously though I'd be completely starving if all I had was a 200 calorie shake before dinner.
    Yeah, it takes a while to get into the groove, but sometimes my wife cooks or we fancy takeaway, so the only way I've found to accommodate the risk of an evening binge is to be strict about the two meals I can control.
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I'm the same way. If I don't have something intentional to eat when I get home, I'll almost always end up eating way to much of the wrong stuff and blow my calories in about 30 minutes.

Slow cooker meals help. Leftovers do to. If it's a family dinner night and I have to wait to eat, I try to find something to do the second I walk in the door - take the dogs for a walk or work on my bikes something/anything to distract me from eating.

Caffeine and/or diet soda and/or hard candy are crutches for me.
    It's heartening to know others share the same problem! I'm wondering about another (small) protein shake perhaps - get the sating effect of protein without too many empty calories. Maybe combine it with an apple or a banana to get some nutrition in there at the same time.
    Popcorn (I keep a bag in my car for the commute home) or an apple are filling. Cottage cheese is good, or a container of veggie sticks and hummus. And yes, I'd prepare some meals that can be waiting when you walk in the door.
    Normally popcorn would be a great suggestion but our boys go crazy for it, and I doubt I's get a look in! - The apple though - good idea.
    Not to be rude, but it doesn’t sound like your breakfast and lunch routine is actually working for you.

I’m sure you’ve heard it a million times that breakfast is an extremely important.

There are many things — a grilled chicken breast, hard boiled egg or cottage cheese are many of my go-to’s.

And, nothing wrong with cheese and crackers (so long as you are measuring), right?

If you don’t want to eat it, don’t buy it.
    Thanks. I see what you're saying, but for a variety of reasons my breakfast and lunch routine is the "least bad" option... I have little time in mornings to cook or prepare food as I look after the children from 5 until I leave for work at 7. At work, the options for buying lunch are generally tempting and unhealthy. I feel like if I can get back on track in the evenings with a small tweak, I can get this working again. Also, it isn't the case that everything has completely fallen to ****. Partly I wanted to improve some strength stats, and so I felt that I needed to consume a bit more, and take some pressure off the tracking. Now I've hit those targets (or am close, and should do soon) I want to rein it back in a bit.

I'll reply to some of the later stuff in a bit. Thanks a lot for all the help. Greatly appreciated.
  • _aenyeweddien_
    _aenyeweddien_ Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Why not have a shake/smoothie for breakfast, and then salad with some eggs/feta cheese for extra protein for lunch? It's simple enough, quick and easy to prepare, but will keep you going through the day and you won't be coming home starving and ready to munch first thing that falls into your hands
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    you can eat whatever you like that fits your calories and macros.

if you don't want to cook when you get home, then you'll have to meal prep at the weekends or one or 2 evening a week, buy ready meals or have crackers and cheese or whatever other snack-y food that you like.

i would also disagree with you that the breakfast and lunch 'strategy' is working if its causing you to overeat as soon as you get home...
    This. Particularly the last bit.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Dedicate just half of one day on the weekend to meal prep. Make a list of what you want to eat, what you like to eat etc. Go shopping. Come home, wash your produce, cut up veggies and roast them all. Spice up your meat and cook it all up. Portion everything and into the fridge. Yes your kitchen will be a mess but nothing another 30 minutes wont fix. Worry free breakfast, lunch and dinner. Snacks are optional :)

You say "just half of one day" like it's not a big deal. That's a quarter of my weekend, my only days of freedom. :# No Thanks. lol.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Dedicate just half of one day on the weekend to meal prep. Make a list of what you want to eat, what you like to eat etc. Go shopping. Come home, wash your produce, cut up veggies and roast them all. Spice up your meat and cook it all up. Portion everything and into the fridge. Yes your kitchen will be a mess but nothing another 30 minutes wont fix. Worry free breakfast, lunch and dinner. Snacks are optional :)

You say "just half of one day" like it's not a big deal. That's a quarter of my weekend, my only days of freedom. :# No Thanks. lol.

I'm a big fan of meal prepping, and I have the time down to 2-3 hours max every other week. HOW DO I DO IT? I use an Instant Pot electric pressure cooker and cook up 10-15 pounds of meat and 2-3 pounds of beans, pack it all in measured portions and toss it all in the freezer. I bring out daily what i want to eat that day. THis leaves the daily cooking time to reheating and no more than 20 minutes to prep veggies/salad or other quick to prepare accompaniments.

I noticed your comment about getting to dinnertime with 1700 calories still to consume. I'd suggest trying to lower that by eating bigger breakfast/lunch. Light dinners , not too close to bedtime, really can contribute to more restful nights of sleep. Plus, many of us are quite inactive once we get home from work, so the idea of watching tv while digesting that many calories just seems like it would interefere with any weight loss/maintain goals.

I can say it took me a week or two to get off just coffee for breakfast, and now, i wake up hungry and have a big hearty pile of food to fuel the start of my workday.

good luck to you!
    good fitness to us all!!
    amy
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    amy19355 wrote: »

I'm a big fan of meal prepping, and I have the time down to 2-3 hours max every other week. HOW DO I DO IT? I use an Instant Pot electric pressure cooker and cook up 10-15 pounds of meat and 2-3 pounds of beans, pack it all in measured portions and toss it all in the freezer. I bring out daily what i want to eat that day. THis leaves the daily cooking time to reheating and no more than 20 minutes to prep veggies/salad or other quick to prepare accompaniments.

I noticed your comment about getting to dinnertime with 1700 calories still to consume. I'd suggest trying to lower that by eating bigger breakfast/lunch. Light dinners , not too close to bedtime, really can contribute to more restful nights of sleep. Plus, many of us are quite inactive once we get home from work, so the idea of watching tv while digesting that many calories just seems like it would interefere with any weight loss/maintain goals.

I can say it took me a week or two to get off just coffee for breakfast, and now, i wake up hungry and have a big hearty pile of food to fuel the start of my workday.

good luck to you!
    good fitness to us all!!
    amy

A lot of that is personal preference. I find it much harder to sleep on an empty stomach, I eat a big dinner about 4 hours before I go to sleep, then have snack about an hour before. Your body is constantly burning/storing energy so eating during an active time of day or restful time of day doesn't really matter. And if I eat a big breakfast, I'm extra hungry all day. I do much better appetite wise eating more in the second half of the day than the first.

Regardless, meal prepping is super-helpful, when i manage to actually do it!
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    amy19355 wrote: »

good luck to you!
    good fitness to us all!!
    amy

A lot of that is personal preference. I find it much harder to sleep on an empty stomach, I eat a big dinner about 4 hours before I go to sleep, then have snack about an hour before. Your body is constantly burning/storing energy so eating during an active time of day or restful time of day doesn't really matter. And if I eat a big breakfast, I'm extra hungry all day. I do much better appetite wise eating more in the second half of the day than the first.

Regardless, meal prepping is super-helpful, when i manage to actually do it!

My eating 'mantra' is: Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dinner like a pauper. Food is fuel, and, like my car, my body needs to be filled up to run. I do most of my 'running' during the day and plan my eating events accordingly.

My biggest challenge is fueling myself before I go to the gym at the end of the day, so that I don't need much more than an apple or spoonful of almond butter to fill the workout-hole I created while on the treadmill.

I agree that our body is burning/storing energy all day; I am near to being convinced that the body does benefit from a rest from digesting recent energy (food) so it can work on burning stored energy (fat). YMMV