Alcohol

Options
After a few days in Napa, it's hard for me to get back on track. We literally have been receiving shipments in the mail of wine since the day we returned. It's been hard not to try them! Last night I had at least 10 ounces (yes I know way too much for a woman). I'm trying my hardest to calculate the calories. My question is, even doing the best I can to count these calories, is it going to disrupt my weight loss efforts in some way? Does it mess with fat storage if it's processing alcohol? In the past, I've done really, really well when I cut back on alcohol. That's almost been my ticket to success but now I'm trying to count it more diligently. To make matters worse, the next few months I have so may alcohol fueled events, so I think this will be a balancing act until the holidays are over!

Replies

• Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I know how you feel about weight loss versus drinking. It's hard for me to go out sometimes for dinner and keep it down to ONE drink, preferably a light beer when I'm tempted by calorie and sugar laden cocktails. But I put it all into perspective: I have a goal I want to achieve- weight loss- and the only way I'm going to do it is to stay focused. You can have that glass of wine, there's nothing wrong with that. It's all about moderation. You don't have to drink the entire bottle in one sitting (tempting though it may be). You can account for it in your calorie intake and work around it. There's no harm in that.
  • dmz1983
    dmz1983 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 It's good to know that I can still make gains. It absolutely impacts my energy the next day. I feel my best when I am practicing moderation. One glass of wine. That's the sweet spot. Doesn't always work out that way. @holycrosser I have quit drinking entirely for a year and it was one of the best experiences of my life. I think it helped me learn that there is way more to life-I was in my mid twenties when everything was centered around a party. That's awesome that you have given it up for the last 6 weeks. I always admire people who don't drink. @Kimmotion5783 if you like cocktails, my husband and I have gotten really crafty at home with diet pops and flavored vodkas. I don't know which flavors you fancy but Effen Vodka has a cucumber lime that we love with diet sprit or diet 7up. Sometimes my husband puts a splash of Pom juice in it. I've gotten so I prefer our drinks at home now.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for about 4 years now and been drinking alcohol throughout this process. Just add the calories like everything else and move on.

The difference in metabolic uptake occurs at the molecular level and meaningless for the purposes of this site or weight management in general.
  • ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I only let myself have some alcohol once a week because the empty calories. If I could I'd drink a bottle of wine every night before bed and sleep like an angel. You just have to ask yourself if its all worth it. It is calories, it will hinder your weight loss if you have too much of it. Just like if you continuously ate too much. But enjoy a little here and there. Log the calories, and keep truckin.