Protein calories

Options
We got to a weight loss clinic that has us count protein calories because we need to stay within a limit of 500 - 600 protein calories a day. I don't understand how to calculate this correctly, should my overall calories be higher or just equal that quota each day? Any one else following a similar program that may know

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    scrantong wrote: »
    We got to a weight loss clinic that has us count protein calories because we need to stay within a limit of 500 - 600 protein calories a day. I don't understand how to calculate this correctly, should my overall calories be higher or just equal that quota each day? Any one else following a similar program that may know

I can't imagine why they have told you to stay within a specific "protein calorie" range :huh: but...

Protein is 4 calories per gram, so you would need to eat 125-150g of protein per day to be in that range.
    You still need to eat other food, did they give you a total calories for the day? Your total calories (not just protein) will determine whether you lose weight or not.

You can use the calorie goal MFP gives you, log your food, hit your MFP calorie goal, and track your protein grams if you'd like.
  • jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    You should be eating 0.6 - 1g / lb body weight for protein.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Kimny did the math for you on the protein calories to grams conversion. There are also essential fats, and then vitamins and minerals that you should be working to get into your daily diet. Did the weight loss clinic not give you any further information? Sounds sketchy to me that they didn't help guide you a bit further.

For setting up my targets for calories, fats, proteins, and carbs, I have followed this:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

It's a good place to start, and from there, you can make some adjustments based on how you are feeling regarding satiety.
  • scrantong
    scrantong Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Kimny - what is MFP, what does that stand for?
    and Nutmegoreo - they did give us a list of protein foods to eat and also what vegatables also, we stay away from rices, potatoes, breads, & pasta
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Kimny - what is MFP, what does that stand for?
    and Nutmegoreo - they did give us a list of protein foods to eat and also what vegatables also, we stay away from rices, potatoes, breads, & pasta

MFP = MyFitnessPal, this app/website.
  • invisibleman53
    invisibleman53 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents, nobody HAS to have the EXACT amount of everything EVERY DAY. If you are low one day on protein, then increase another time. It's ridiculous that people get this idea that if I don't eat exactly it messes things up. Strantong, set a plan, using MyFitnessPal, go into MY HOME, then GOALS, under FITNESS GOALS you can use EDIT to set what you want to watch on a daily basis. Should be CARBS 50%, FATS 30% and PROTEINS 20%. Then beside that watch my Micronutrients by EDIT of, SATURATED FAT 25%, the poly, mono, and trans I set at zero, then Cholesterol is 300 mg, Sodium 2300mg, Potassium 3500mg, Fiber 30 grams, Sugar 83 grams. When you enter food, just look below to see what your totals are for each listed and adjust from there. Remember, water intake but I read that men need 12 eight ounces of water per day and women only 8 ounces since men have more muscle mass.