Am I wasting my time?

Options
I'm currently 5 ft 2 and 234 lbs. Lost 4lb so far in 14 days. I'm currently consuming 1200 calories a day plus whatever I've burned that day (usually only 100-200 calories per day) in a bid to lose 1-2lbs per week.

I've always been quite strong compared to most women and I am concerned that this calorie deficit will affect that.

I've been doing cardio with some strength exercises in an attempt to keep what muscle I already have and some 'toning' exercises on the areas I want to improve on *butt and arms*

Am I wasting my time? Will the fact I am in a calorie deficit mean I can't build muscle in the areas I want to tone?

Fat loss is much more important to me than toning up so if I have to give up the dream of a shapely bottom for now then I will do lol. I just want to know realistically is it worth it? or should I just stick to cardio?

Thanks.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Keep doing it, maintaining muscle by strength training while you lose weight will benefit you in the long run.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    You can't build much muscle in a deficit, but you can maintain what you've got. I started at 5'3", 254 lbs. I've dropped almost 107 and I've got definition on my arms, legs, and shoulders. You can't spot-reduce, but you can spot-strengthen and increase the odds that as you shed fat, the muscle beneath will look good.

I am concerned that 1200 calories might be a bit low for you. When I started, I was on 1710 and now, with 10lbs away from goal, I'm on 1360 before exercise (I eat back about 50% of my exercise calories). This is a marathon, not a sprint. You might want to slow your rate of loss. Running too aggressive a deficit can often lead to increased muscle loss.
  • zoer302
    zoer302 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

I am concerned that 1200 calories might be a bit low for you. When I started, I was on 1710 and now, with 10lbs away from goal, I'm on 1360 before exercise (I eat back about 50% of my exercise calories). .

I've just gone off what MFP says I should do :D
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    zoer302 wrote: »
    I am concerned that 1200 calories might be a bit low for you. When I started, I was on 1710 and now, with 10lbs away from goal, I'm on 1360 before exercise (I eat back about 50% of my exercise calories). .

I've just gone off what MFP says I should do :D

I'm willing to guess you choose 2 pounds per week and set your activity level to sedentary, then. Are you truly sedentary (desk job, less than 5k steps per day, on your backside most of the day, no daily cleaning or walking involved in your job or similar)? For reference, I'm 5'2, 140, spend 8-9 hours behind a desk during the week, and lose on 1500.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Ideally you want both cardio and strength.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Fitness is not a waste of time. Strength is not a waste of time. Start strength training today and you will look better when done, even if you don't add huge muscle mass. I don't know if you'll like your dreams or not, but you will look better (and feel better) than if you do nothing. That much is guaranteed.

Yep. ^ This ^

also.... be prepared to stumble and to have short term setbacks. (everyone does)

it's not if you stumble, it's the ability to get back up and on track that counts.

best of luck

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Attempting to get the best results you possibly can, whether that's building some muscle or just retaining what you have, isn't a waste of time. If you neglect either strength training or cardio then you are missing a trick for your health, fitness and body composition.

1200 calories is a choice you made by the set up options you picked. If you don't like that choice then go back and pick a different rate of loss.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    You probably have more muscle than you realize, since your body is accustomed to carrying excess weight. Lifting heavy, not just little "toning" weights, while you lose, will help preserve the muscles you already have, and losing the weight will uncover and reveal them. Although it's difficult to make gains while eating at a deficit, the one exception to that is the obese newbie lifter, which would be you. Take advantage of those newbie gains and go for it.
  • zoer302
    zoer302 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks everyone, I'll continue what I'm doing then :)