5x5 Noob! I wanna hear your failures!

So I'm back on the wagon after a wonderful relationship derailed my 30lb weight loss, and now I'm back here again, along with those 30lbs (155-125, back to 155lbs). Towards the end of my weight loss, I started to understand the benefits of lifting, so now I'm trying out Stronglifts 5x5 after getting used to some basic lifts and getting my form right. I'm one week in, and it still is pretty easy, but I know it's gonna get tough pretty soon.

I actually would love to hear your stories of getting through the program, fantastic failures, embarrassing moments, I want all of it! It'll make me feel better for when I inevitably fail a set >:)

Replies

• mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Knowing how to fail safely is important. When I first started SL, I was nervous about failing at squats for some reason, but after doing it a couple of times I realized it’s no big deal. Learning to fail safely and without grinding too hard for a rep you just don’t have (esp squat and deadlift) is important.
  • megasdgfg
    megasdgfg Posts: 6 Member
    Failing the last rep on my 10x10 bench back in March and having to roll it off 😢
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    I can't say it's an official fail for me because I have not exactly attempted it but here is my post:
    I take a Women and Weights class that is going great. I am learning proper form for all kinds of lifts. I have downloaded Stronglifts thinking maybe I will do it after I have learned more.

Stronglifts has me starting my bench press at 45 lbs. In class I can only bench press 44 lbs. Pretty sure this will be a fail involving a trip to the dentist.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    I started Stronglifts ~18 months ago. Prior to this I hired a professional bodybuilder to watch my form for a month, so my movements were perfected - mostly using a broomstick. Since then I've only had a few roll offs and no lifting related injuries.

This is the beauty of the 5x5 program - there's a good deal of build up to minimize failure. While at times it may seem as if you're not progressing as quickly, but give it time. You'll be hitting max in a relatively short time.

My primary goal is strength and endurance, so I implement a deload when I shift to running/swimming or preparing for a race. The app does a good job of automatically implementing this depending on the number of workouts missed.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited October 2018
    Thankfully I work out at home so I have no shame :D When I worked out at a gym I was very conservative when going for my last rep or going up in weight, because I was scared of having a fail and embarrassing myself.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Thankfully I work out at home so I have no shame :D When I worked out at a gym I was very conservative when going for my last rep or going up in weight, because I was scared of having a fail and embarrassing myself.

I wish I had the space! I could get my boyfriend in on it if we had that kind of space in our cramped LA apartment. :(
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    . The app does a good job of automatically implementing this depending on the number of workouts missed.

I downloaded the app and I really appreciate how dummy-proof it is!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Use the safety bars! Also, don't use pins, it's way easier to get the weight off(esp bench) without pins. If you're really afraid of failing the lift, you should probably lower the weight or do less reps. 5x5 is not meant to push to failure, and it's not worth an injury.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I can't say it's an official fail for me because I have not exactly attempted it but here is my post:
    I take a Women and Weights class that is going great. I am learning proper form for all kinds of lifts. I have downloaded Stronglifts thinking maybe I will do it after I have learned more.

Stronglifts has me starting my bench press at 45 lbs. In class I can only bench press 44 lbs. Pretty sure this will be a fail involving a trip to the dentist.

Does your gym have lighter barbells? The 45lb (21kg) bar is generally the olympic bar but many gyms will also have a 10kg or 7.5kg bar too. I started out with the 10kg bar for both bench and overhead press, progressing up to the big girl bar once my warm up weights were over 20kg
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    firef1y72 wrote: »

Does your gym have lighter barbells? The 45lb (21kg) bar is generally the olympic bar but many gyms will also have a 10kg or 7.5kg bar too. I started out with the 10kg bar for both bench and overhead press, progressing up to the big girl bar once my warm up weights were over 20kg

For clarity: I go to 2 gyms

Gym 1 is a chain where I go to a weekly bootcamp. This is where I plan to try 5x5 when I am ready. There is no lighter bar. I asked them about that and was pretty much brushed off. But they do have the bars used for bodypump that are super light - like 2 lbs. I find them pretty slippery though. There is no grip grooves. They do have the bars with the weights already pre attached to them. I know they are not wide enough for the squat rack. I am not sure if they fit the bench rack. (Sorry if I have the terms wrong. Noob here too. I go to classes for that very reason.)

Gym 2 is a small gym and it looks sort of like a CrossFit box where I take my Women and Weights class 3 days a week. It most definitely has the lighter bars. I can't say enough good things about this place except Since it's a class I don't often get to do the stuff I like the most-The Olympic lifts. That stuff is fun! After class you leave, not linger around and try stuff.

Oh 1st world problems! Sorry to hijack your thread OP!
  • sarahlucindac
    sarahlucindac Posts: 235 Member
    I was really into a running session on the treadmill a few weeks ago. I felt great, the music was perfect, I was really hitting my stride——-WHACK! I’m now holding onto the handle bars for dear life as my knees and torso are brutally assaulted by the ever moving belt of the treadmill. A shoelace had come untied and I fell really bad, just as horrific and hilarious as all of the YouTube treadmill fail videos that you see. I got up, assessed the damaged, and continued my run, bloody knees and all. My legs are still bruised and scabbed up two weeks later 😂
  • hesn92
    I was really into a running session on the treadmill a few weeks ago. I felt great, the music was perfect, I was really hitting my stride——-WHACK! I’m now holding onto the handle bars for dear life as my knees and torso are brutally assaulted by the ever moving belt of the treadmill. A shoelace had come untied and I fell really bad, just as horrific and hilarious as all of the YouTube treadmill fail videos that you see. I got up, assessed the damaged, and continued my run, bloody knees and all. My legs are still bruised and scabbed up two weeks later 😂

Oh no lol. I would just have run out of the gym in shame lol
  • hesn92
    I just went and spent some time watching treadmill fail videos on youtube and I can't say I'm disappointed
  • sarahlucindac
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I just went and spent some time watching treadmill fail videos on youtube and I can't say I'm disappointed

Bahahaha. I watched a bunch of those after it happened to me and laughed my *kitten* off. I actually almost went to the front desk to see if they could show me the footage of my disaster but decided I didn’t want to bring attention to it and end up infamous on YouTube 😆
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    struggling and completing the workout, and it tells me congrats now lift 5 pounds more next time!

tried and died.

just cause I can complete it doesn't mean im ready for another 5 pounds lol

Oh yeah, all of this ↑↑↑ ... Y'get it done with NOTHING left in the tank, then face the realization that next time you see that lift you may face the fail (especially true for squats, since they're in both workouts).

I do like the app, but it'd be awesome if they would ask for an RPE (Rating of Perceived Exertion) for your last set as a way to kinda "complete" the lift. I'm sure that data would be good to have on hand and could likely be used in calculations for the next time you work that same lift.

Really though, failing to hit a set is part of the game, it's supposed to happen (and it will, if your doing it right); ya just gotta hope that you can fade into the cage or hit a short rack or something so the fails aren't too loud and embarrassing (I'll freely admit to having made some odd noises, but I won't admit to more than that).

To kinda help keep momentum, I picked-up some lighter plates (not like micros, just 1.25lbs) which can be entered into the available weights in the app and get used as kinda a half-step after a string of failres to increase weight.

TL;DR: Embrace the failures & be safe about em (and share the funny ones!)

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Yeah, I missed my 5th dead lift today and all I could think of is why did the damn app tell me I could lift that much.....

Question for those doing Stronglifts. Does it not bump up the OHP? I'm at 65lbs and the app doesn't tell me to add more, even though I do all 5X5. Not complaining as it is still a very difficult one for me, but other lifts I go in and take back the increase. Just wondering if because I'm not going up on the squats (working on form) if that's causing it to not increase the OHP.
  • sarahlucindac
    Oh whoops I just realized this is an app specific fail thread, not general fails. Well you can add me posting in here to my list of general newb fails haha 😬😆
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    I second the micro plates! Especially for me on bench.
    I had to do the roll of shame once :( it was a weight I had pushed before so no clue what happened....got it and then some in weeks afterward. Just happens i guess.
    I ran SS for what it’s worth, similar but not exactly the same.
    Good luck OP!