Hikers- tips for sore feet

Options
2»

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Shoes that are too big can be just as problematic as shoes that are too small. OP, you need to figure out if your toes are crammed in a too small shoe/toe box, or if your foot isn't secure in the shoe causing your toes to get slide into/against the wall of the shoe.

this.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    it sounds like you are wearing the wrong size or that the toe box is too small for your toes. i like some brooks and altras and saucony as their toe box is a little bigger
    you can also explore different ways to tie your shoes to minimize foot slide

Brooks and Saucony make the only spiked shoes wide enough for my feet. Keen are good for wide feet too.

Narrow-footed people tend to like Merrell a lot.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    it sounds like you are wearing the wrong size or that the toe box is too small for your toes. i like some brooks and altras and saucony as their toe box is a little bigger

Brooks and Saucony make the only spiked shoes wide enough for my feet. Keen are good for wide feet too.

Narrow-footed people tend to like Merrell a lot.

i've found that asics are narrow midfoot but i'm not sure about the toebox (since they are too narrow for my foot).
  • PHOTOCHAP
    PHOTOCHAP Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Just a thought.. downhills are always hard on toenails. Do you have long toenails? Do you trim them for a walk? I found that a lot of pain relief came from cutting them tight and round. Then again I'm a bloke.. but I know it works.. been there got the hurt feet! Trust me it works.
  • lillyblack1982
    lillyblack1982 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    PHOTOCHAP wrote: »
    Just a thought.. downhills are always hard on toenails. Do you have long toenails? Do you trim them for a walk? I found that a lot of pain relief came from cutting them tight and round. Then again I'm a bloke.. but I know it works.. been there got the hurt feet! Trust me it works.

I’m pretty diligent about keeping them at the nub. I trimmed them right before my hike yesterday so it wasn’t that. I’ve heard horror stories of people losing entire toenails— I don’t want to go there!

• PHOTOCHAP
    PHOTOCHAP Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yep can be pretty gruesome and it HURTS! OK so it's not that then.
  • lillyblack1982
    lillyblack1982 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

I will look into the lacing, thanks. My trail runners are saucony and they seem to fit well, they just have no ankle support.
    KBClimber wrote: »
    Superfeet and trail runners! I have superfeet insoles in my mountaineering boots and those definitely help. You can get them in various arch heights at REI so you can get a pretty custom fit. I also prefer hiking in trail runners as they are lighter and can offer more cushioning than boots. However, I would also suggest getting a larger size boot as it sounds like your toes are hitting the end of the shoe on the downhill. You can also try lacing your shoes up higher and using the extra lace holes near the ankle to keep your foot from sliding down as far into the shoe when you hike downhill.
    Best of luck and enjoy it out there!

The boots fit well when they were new but as they’ve worn they’ve gotten quite loose. I have to wear very thick socks or two pairs of socks or my feet slide around in them. With the right socks they seem to fit perfect. I have another pair of boots half a size smaller which are tight and my toes hurt in those ones, too. Maybe I’m between sizes, or maybe it’s just the way my foot strikes the ground? I will try to find superfeet, that sounds promising!

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I would go to a good outdoor retailer, REI, if you have one and have them help you size your boots. There are so many different brands and they all fit differently, just like running shoes. If your boots fit properly there shouldn't be any sliding around to cause friction and they should hold your feet in place so you aren't slamming your toes into the ends on your downhill segments. I hike hills (meaning 1600-2000 feet elevation gain), at least 4 miles 3-4 days per week. I used to worry about ankle support, but now that I'm in good shape and have good shoes, it's not necessary. I buy Keens now exclusively because they are stiff enough to not notice rocks I step on and are wide enough in the toe box for my wide feet. It's important to try them on though, I have 2 pair of 2 different sizes and they fit the same.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

The boots fit well when they were new but as they’ve worn they’ve gotten quite loose. I have to wear very thick socks or two pairs of socks or my feet slide around in them. With the right socks they seem to fit perfect. I have another pair of boots half a size smaller which are tight and my toes hurt in those ones, too. Maybe I’m between sizes, or maybe it’s just the way my foot strikes the ground? I will try to find superfeet, that sounds promising!

That's you're problem. Find shoes/boots that fit well and I bet this all goes away.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Try a whole bunch of shoes on. (I avoid boots whenever possible.) And then get comfortable, thick socks.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Do you walk around barefoot much? Maybe exercise your feet more by going barefoot. My yoga workouts strengthen my feet. I can do 10-mile hikes with no problem and I wear cheap trail runners.
  • SLOgal
    SLOgal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ahnu Sugarpine low-tops are my very favorite hikers. They have eliminated my chronic tendon issues. They are lightweight but still very supportive. I have both the regular and waterproof versions. Make sure your laces are properly adjusted to prevent slide. I also recommend inserts, even custom orthotics if your insurance covers it. A good podiatrist can be very helpful.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Socks-wear 2 pair, a very light liner made of a wicking material (mine are polypropylene but there are other materials nowadays ). The outer pair should be a midweight wool blend.
    Shoe lacing-there are lacing methods for uphill vs downhill, Google it
    https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/lacing-hiking-boots.html
    Keep toenails trimmed as short as possible.
    Inserts-you shouldn't need a larger size for insoles
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Good socks, made especially for hiking. I get seconds for Sierratrading.com. for a reasonable price; I'm sure you can find good hiking socks many other places, too. Happy trails!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    OHFlamingo wrote: »
    Good socks, made especially for hiking. I get seconds for Sierratrading.com. for a reasonable price; I'm sure you can find good hiking socks many other places, too. Happy trails!

My favorite brands are Wigwam and Smartwool (available at pretty much any store that carries outdoor and/or recreation clothing as well as Amazon). I wear light hikers in my regular shoes (Salomon trail runners) and medium hikers in my boots. Locally, the best prices are at Farm and Fleet (depending on where you live you might have a similar store like Fleet Farm or Tractor Supply).