Cutting while injured

Options
Hey all

I started a planned 7 week cut just over 2 weeks ago. It was going well, I was keeping protein high, my strength hasn't suffered yet, and after 1 week I wasn't cranky all the time.

Then today I saw a physio about some wrist issues I've been having, and she asked that I stopped strength training using my hands for the next 3 weeks at least. That leaves me unable to deadlift, low bar squat, bench, press, ab wheel roll outs, well you get the picture. In terms of traditional compound movements, all I can really do is safety bar squat. I could also do some pec deck and cable flies with straps I guess, although these aren't traditionally done in heavy sets of 5, which is what I was planning.

I'm concerned that if I continue to cut without a well rounded, heavy routine, I'll lose muscle. But, I also don't want to pause my cut if I don't have to, as it is starting to feel good.

I'd be grateful for any advice anyone can give. Should I maintain for 3 weeks and focus on squats? Keep cutting and train what I can?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm dying to see the comments on this.... do injuries heal more slowly when cutting or faster when bulking? So, if you're nursing an injury you'd better be eating enough.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    What are the issues with the wrists?

Can you use lifting straps for deads perhaps? I use them when my joint disease is in full flare and my wrists/hands make it hard to deadlift.

SSQ bar is obvious first choice for squats. Hip belt squat machine would be excellent as well.

For bench I would invest in the stiff SBDs 36" wrist wraps(same one's I use for my wrist issues). I was featured a few months ago on a podcast benching. The doctors who are elite powerlifters were commenting how unfortunately the health industry is uneducated and how I would be advised not to lift, yet I found ways to allow me to lift and even be stronger than most men my age.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys.
    Chieflrg wrote: »

I have a ganglion cyst on the top of my left wrist, where my hand joins my wrist, which hurts when i put my hand/wrist into a pushup position. This hasn't stopped me from training at all, since i press/bench with wraps and a flat wrist.

Because my left wrist hurts when i push open doors, get up out of bed etc, i've taken to using my right arm for most things. This apparently caused an overuse injury to a ligament at the base of my thumb, which causes pain when i bend my wrist/hand left and right (think turning a tap on and off). This caused acute pain at the very top of my first warm up set of OHP on Monday, and led me to see the physio.

It occurred to me that my form might be off in my OHP, as surely my wrist should be straight, but given that I'm vertical elbow-to-knuckles at the bottom of my OHP, and this leaves me slightly outside shoulder width, I'm not sure how it would be physically possible to lock out vertically from shoulder to knuckles.
    Can you use lifting straps for deads perhaps? I use them when my joint disease is in full flare and my wrists/hands make it hard to deadlift.

SSQ bar is obvious first choice for squats. Hip belt squat machine would be excellent as well.

For bench I would invest in the stiff SBDs 36" wrist wraps(same one's I use for my wrist issues). I was featured a few months ago on a podcast benching. The doctors who are elite powerlifters were commenting how unfortunately the health industry is uneducated and how I would be advised not to lift, yet I found ways to allow me to lift and even be stronger than most men my age.

I like all your ideas. I think the physio, who doesn't lift, is being a bit overly cautious in saying that i shouldn't use my hands. When I see her next week I'll propose those adjustments, which should keep my program broadly in tact.

Do you have any thoughts on a work around for the OHP? Wrist wraps and partial reps, keeping elbow to knuckles vertical?
  • Chieflrg
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Erik8484 wrote: »

I have a ganglion cyst on the top of my left wrist, where my hand joins my wrist, which hurts when i put my hand/wrist into a pushup position. This hasn't stopped me from training at all, since i press/bench with wraps and a flat wrist.

Because my left wrist hurts when i push open doors, get up out of bed etc, i've taken to using my right arm for most things. This apparently caused an overuse injury to a ligament at the base of my thumb, which causes pain when i bend my wrist/hand left and right (think turning a tap on and off). This caused acute pain at the very top of my first warm up set of OHP on Monday, and led me to see the physio.

It occurred to me that my form might be off in my OHP, as surely my wrist should be straight, but given that I'm vertical elbow-to-knuckles at the bottom of my OHP, and this leaves me slightly outside shoulder width, I'm not sure how it would be physically possible to lock out vertically from shoulder to knuckles.

I like all your ideas. I think the physio, who doesn't lift, is being a bit overly cautious in saying that i shouldn't use my hands. When I see her next week I'll propose those adjustments, which should keep my program broadly in tact.

Do you have any thoughts on a work around for the OHP? Wrist wraps and partial reps, keeping elbow to knuckles vertical?

It depends on what you are using the OHP for in your programming.

If the OHP is just extra pressing stimulas within your programming, I would consider just dropping it temporarily.

Finding a press that the pain is tolerable might be a better option. Is the pain more so when in the bottom position? You might consider a direct varient like pin presses at a slightly higher starting position if that doesn't aggrivate it and you are dead set on that type of movement.

* EDIT *
    Wrist wraps? Yes.

No bull dog grip.

When viewing the elbows from the side they should be just slightly in front of barbell much like the bench, but I can see this might put more pressure on your wrists because of center of balance. Maybe post a vid of direct front and side view at a intensity the pain doesnt effect your form and we can make appropriate changed if needed.
  • Erik8484
    Options

It depends on what you are using the OHP for in your programming.

If the OHP is just extra pressing stimulas within your programming, I would consider just dropping it temporarily.

Finding a press that the pain is tolerable might be a better option. Is the pain more so when in the bottom position? You might consider a direct varient like pin presses at a slightly higher starting position if that doesn't aggrivate it and you are dead set on that type of movement.

* EDIT *
    Wrist wraps? Yes.

No bull dog grip.

When viewing the elbows from the side they should be just slightly in front of barbell much like the bench, but I can see this might put more pressure on your wrists because of center of balance. Maybe post a vid of direct front and side view at a intensity the pain doesnt effect your form and we can make appropriate changed if needed.

Thanks again, I'll probably just drop the OHP for a few weeks.

Looking forward to seeing the physio again on Tuesday, and working out exactly what I can and cannot do.
  • Erik8484
    Options
    billkansas wrote: »
    I'm dying to see the comments on this.... do injuries heal more slowly when cutting or faster when bulking? So, if you're nursing an injury you'd better be eating enough.

I saw this the other day, by @jordan_barbellmedicine on instagram, the last paragraph reminded me of your post so I thought I'd share

aflq4o5ebqbx.png

• Chieflrg
    edited October 2018
    Options
    billkansas wrote: »

I saw this the other day, by @jordan_barbellmedicine on instagram, the last paragraph reminded me of your post so I thought I'd share

aflq4o5ebqbx.png

The content Jordan and Austin specifically are putting out is top shelf and debunks all the regurgitated info people in and out of the fitness industry spew that is not only wrong but harmful.

I was lucky enough to be featured a couple months ago on their podcast as a prime example of a person who trains through pain and benifits from doing so despite the would be advice of so called experts.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Barbell Medicine. I think injuries are as complex as the human body itself... that said, I had a shoulder injury (diagnosed via MRI as "ganglion cyst near scapula") and I actually had to give up heavy upper exercises completely for a few months before it got better. I'm not saying that will work for you or everyone, but this is what worked in my case. In fact, it wasn't until I actually had gone and vacation and missed working out for two weeks that I first noticed an improvement. Best wishes.
  • Erik8484
    Options
    3 barbell medicine fans then! I get my programming from them.