Calories burnt

Options
Just starting my first bulk and have a quick question do you eat the calories burnt from exercise too?

Replies

• angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Well when losing weight people are advised to eat a portion of their burnt calories back since your bulking you should be eating at a surplus of calories so maintenance + exercise calories + a small surplus. No? I'm not a expert in the whole bulk thing but to put weight on you definitely need to be eating more calories than you burn so eat at maintenance + exercise calories and since mfp can over estimate burnt calories track your progress if your still losing add more calories
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The calorie goal given by this site for weight loss, weight gain or weight maintenance intends for you to log and eat back your exercise calories.

The common advice to eat a proportion is to account for some people's inaccurate estimating methods - it isn't a requirement to eat just a proportion of your true, as opposed to estimated, exercise calorie burns.

To gain weight you must eat in excess of all your body's calorie needs and exercise is one of those needs. Be aware that some people use the TDEE method which averages out their exercise and includes it in their daily/weekly goal. They are still eating their exercise calories but just don't label them as such.
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Personal preference. I don't. But I eat 3k+ kcals a day
  • Julian5656
    Julian5656 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If your calories burned in cardio pushes you below your goal calorie surplus for the day, then you should compensate by eating more.