Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Artificial sweeteners and frequent urination

13»

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,131 Member
    edited July 2019
    Nubiannews wrote: »
    Yes artificial sweeteners make me pee! Yes they do. I measured and studied them over and over again for almost ten years.
    At first I noticed that aspartame (nutrasweet) made me go often, about every 25 minutes for 4 to 5 hours, then reduced to every hour for the rest of the day. Then when I went to sleep every hour the first 3 to 5 hours then it would slow down to 2 hour intervals for the rest of the night.
    The next day back to hourly intervals - this goes on for about 48 hours, getting better over time.
    So I stopped using aspartame.
    Then in 2015 I started going to a weight control doctor who put me on a protein supplement shake. I started peeing all the time. Being on a weight loss regimen I was drinking diet drinks and other 'sugar free' foods all the time. I was peeing so much I went to a urologist.
    Making a long story short; I was diagnosed with prostate cancer, went through the treatments, and all the anti-pee medications (myribetric etc), on the other side I was still peeing a lot. Finally noticed things I drank with artificial sweeteners had the same reaction as aspartame.
    I cut them all out, sucrose, dextrose, sucrolose, fructose, the pink one, the blue, the yellow one, all of them I could identity.
    The peeing stopped!
    Every now and then it would return and every time i'd go back and read the ingredients and an artificial sweetener would be there. They are everywhere. I eat very few unknown things without first reading the ingredients. But they show up in the most unexpected placed. Just about all anti-acids have them. Many over the counter medicines have them. I just had a CATScan with contrast and something they put in my vein made me pee.
    Now a days I can go up to 5 hours without peeing (though I make myself go every two hours) and sleep through the night.
    But if I inadvertently ingest an artificial sweetener there is no escaping the next 48 hours of pee.
    Hope this helps someone. My doctors are very sceptical of my claims but I've had sweeteners listed on my medical charts as an allergic reaction. Had an operation and had to have fluids, they gave me a dextrose drip, I peed so much. Now they can give me a drop but it is either saline or glucose, which is a natural sugar.

As a correlation most of the items you mentioned would also increase the fluid level in your body and, as a consequence, the need to urinate.

To run the full gamut of the experiment you would need to supplement with an equivalent number of not artificially sweetened liquids and see if that would have affected your urination in a similar manner.

Dextrose by the way is not an artificial sweetener... it is just sugar. https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Biological_Chemistry/Supplemental_Modules_(Biological_Chemistry)/Carbohydrates/Monosaccharides/Glucose_(Dextrose)

Peeing out the contrast medium is a good thing!!! :wink:

Glad you appear to be doing OK and to be recovering from your past health concerns.

Hopefully things will continue to go well for you!