correct me if im wrong......

Options
ok so i am all for people doing different diets, if it works for them....but in my mind is simple calories in vs. calories out. i hate the idea of cutting this or that out of my life, so this is what would work best for me (even though this is one of what feels like a million starts for me). I just was talking to a neighbor who was trying to convince me to do like her....she says she is on 3 diets. a keto, vegetarian and vegan....now thats a big conflict right there....keto you have meat, the others you dont. her biggest argument in trying to get me to go for it was you can eat a whole package of bacon if i wanted to and still lose weight.

to me that just not sound healthy at all. ( mind you i have done this before...not trying to lose weight....the results were not pretty...was sick after that). then when her and the others were talking about needing their pills i said i was lucky i am not on anything...then she says not to be judgemental but you should be. how rude! if i needed to be on them my doctor would have put me on pills.

i guess my question is, how on earth can something that can state you can eat an entire package of bacon be good for you?

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I think any diet that promotes heavily eating 1 or 2 things is not really looking at health or sustainability but a gimmick.
    It could be eggs, bananas or cabbage soup rather than bacon. It could be calling vegetables "free foods".
    I'm pretty much done with diets and just eat what I want that fit my goals. I have no desire to eat a whole package of bacon in one day and never did.
    I am sure there are people following the keto plan in a reasonable, healthy manner and lots of healthy vegans and vegetarians. Your neighbor is probably not one of them. She makes no sense and screams yo yo dieter all over. If one is eating vegan are you not already vegetarian by default? Why would a vegan be wanting people to eat lots of bacon? I'd stop talking about this stuff with her.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    ok so i am all for people doing different diets, if it works for them....but in my mind is simple calories in vs. calories out. i hate the idea of cutting this or that out of my life, so this is what would work best for me (even though this is one of what feels like a million starts for me). I just was talking to a neighbor who was trying to convince me to do like her....she says she is on 3 diets. a keto, vegetarian and vegan....now thats a big conflict right there....keto you have meat, the others you dont. her biggest argument in trying to get me to go for it was you can eat a whole package of bacon if i wanted to and still lose weight.

to me that just not sound healthy at all. ( mind you i have done this before...not trying to lose weight....the results were not pretty...was sick after that). then when her and the others were talking about needing their pills i said i was lucky i am not on anything...then she says not to be judgemental but you should be. how rude! if i needed to be on them my doctor would have put me on pills.

i guess my question is, how on earth can something that can state you can eat an entire package of bacon be good for you?

I love bacon.. but one time I was on a sales trip with the company paying for the buffet.. and I thought this is it... I'm going to have ALL the bacon I want since I didn't have to pay 1.50 a slice.. I filled the plate.. lol
    I ate 6 or 7 pieces and couldn't get through the rest. ugh.
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Buy her pills. Well there ya go. That's why she was telling you anything b/c she was trying to sell you crap.
    There are actually vegan/vegetarian keto folks, they just get their protein from something other than meat. I'm not sure what else they do to keep the carb count down, but they are out there.

I'm keto and it's working for me. It's the only diet that I've ever been able to stick to for longer than a couple of weeks and not feel deprived. You do what works for you and what you're going to stick with. If it's calorie counting. Go for it. If it's something like.. cutting out dairy.. then do it.
    And yes.. I have eaten an entire pack of bacon before (multiple times when I didn't feel like making anything else.. or sharing it :P lol) and I'm still here and still losing weight :D Wouldn't recommend doing it often or anything, but meh.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I've learned everyone has their opinions on weight loss and being healthy etc. When I do talk to someone about weight loss, they will inevitably say some *kitten* that I consider to be fake or silly but I just kind of nod and smile and move on about my life. They can continue to make things more complicated than they actually are, and I will continue doing things the way I want.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options

I honestly think that would have to be a figure of speech so to speak. A rational person would not believe it possible to consume an entire pack of bacon and lose weight. I suppose you could eat only that and fast until your next bacon feeding but that doesn't sound fun to me. I think the idea is closer to my experience. I went keto and enjoy eating bacon, sausage, eggs and cheese for breakfast. I also lose weight. I eat salads with avocado, protein and cheese for lunch. I eat some protein and fresh veggies for dinner. So to me it feels like I can eat anything and I don't need to count calories. I am obviously eating to a calorie deficit but I am putting no effort or being restrictive to the point that I am getting hangry. I lost twenty pounds since July 10th and feel great. And because I know it's coming yes I could eat to a deficit with any other eating plan but it would not work the same for me.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    LiLee2018 wrote: »
    Buy her pills. Well there ya go. That's why she was telling you anything b/c she was trying to sell you crap.
    There are actually vegan/vegetarian keto folks, they just get their protein from something other than meat. I'm not sure what else they do to keep the carb count down, but they are out there.

I'm keto and it's working for me. It's the only diet that I've ever been able to stick to for longer than a couple of weeks and not feel deprived. You do what works for you and what you're going to stick with. If it's calorie counting. Go for it. If it's something like.. cutting out dairy.. then do it.
    And yes.. I have eaten an entire pack of bacon before (multiple times when I didn't feel like making anything else.. or sharing it :P lol) and I'm still here and still losing weight :D Wouldn't recommend doing it often or anything, but meh.

One of my friends says she's going keto/ vegan/ paleo. I asked her where her protein was coming from, she says beans. I tell her beans aren't keto or paleo, fruit has carbs, and her vegan shakes have carbs. She said she had to rethink things.

Why would you put yourself through all that? No one has to fit a niche just to lose weight or get healthy.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    To each their own. So your friend will learn that what she is trying is very hard, time consuming to do. Or she decides in her mind it is worth it and carries on. What we eat, and how we do it seems to be one of those subjects that is about impossible to get people to think alike. So when I get asked which is frequently. I state I eat X amount of calories per day. But really go by carbs, protein, fats as how they fit in. As diabetic and more often than not that brings silence from the peanut gallery. I have found it very interesting that so many people first will say wow you are really have the weight come off you. Then want to know the magic behind it. Then want to tell you why what you are following is wrong, will not work in the long run, or will cause some other hellish thing to happen. This even after I explained the concept of CICO that it all comes down to that in the end, the total magic.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    LiLee2018 wrote: »

One of my friends says she's going keto/ vegan/ paleo. I asked her where her protein was coming from, she says beans. I tell her beans aren't keto or paleo, fruit has carbs, and her vegan shakes have carbs. She said she had to rethink things.

Why would you put yourself through all that? No one has to fit a niche just to lose weight or get healthy.

No one has to fit a niche just to lose weight or get healthy, but it's not necessarily "putting yourself through all that." For some people, realizing that they can still achieve their goals without significantly changing their diet is a relief. For others, changing their diet is a relief, because they find a way of eating that is easy for them to manage, even if it means restricting or eliminating certain foods.

If someone said "no thank you, I don't like that" about a certain food, no one would press the issue. There's no reason why "no thank you, I don't want to eat that" shouldn't be treated the same way. The only exception is people who think that because they don't like or want to eat something, or don't want to eat a certain way, no one else should, because those people are just rude and no one should give them the time of day.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    What I have seen, is most uneducated people who think they are keto, are actually eating a high protein, higher fat, low carb diet. They never go into ketosis.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I've added diet and weight loss to religion and politics as topics I try to avoid discussing IRL.

Good policy.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    What I have seen, is most uneducated people who think they are keto, are actually eating a high protein, higher fat, low carb diet. They never go into ketosis.

Yes there is a fine line between LCHF and keto. To make matters worse the line gets drawn in a different place for different people. Most keto peoplple I know can tell you if they are in ketosis or not. I tend to drift in and out and at this moment I am in because I can taste it. So if they are not very strict on carbs they are probably in the LCHF side of the equation. I agree with you, if you do not get a lot of education on the entire scope of a keto WOE you are just guessing at a diet plan.