How to manage weight loss and drinking?

Options
2»

Replies

• bethanrosex
    Options
    Even vodka has a huge amount of calories in it, if you drink one or two you'll be fine but be wary. Also if you don't drink too often it shouldn't do you too much harm, it didn't take you a day to loose it, it won't take you a day to gain it :)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,629 Member
    Options
    According to my HRM an hour on the elliptical earns a bottle of wine.
  • patfriendly
    patfriendly Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    hard liquors are better than beer. Here is an article that details the effect of drinking

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

Of course moderation is always the key with any food or drink
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I am ashamed to admit.. i've been drinking the enitre time and I am losing. (I swear I'm going to to stop tomorro ha..) The biggest danger is if drinking tempts you to eat pizza and junk food. That's really how it can ruin the weight loss.:drinker:

That was always my problem when I drank...Once I got a little loose things like calories and portion control went out the window.
  • run2bfree
    run2bfree Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    stop drinking all together. :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    heres how,,,, drink yourself silly,
    do not eat, FAST
    and do 2 to 3 hours cardio a day,
  • crazorbaq
    crazorbaq Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    hydrate hydrate hydrate hydrate with WATER before hand...live it up, what is the point of life without living it ???? have a great time! :drinker:
  • StripedSmoker
    StripedSmoker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Well, we're in the same boat, tomorrow is a party and I'll drink as I usually do; not very much and only what I like. Really, I have no problem with saying no to alcohol, but oh yes give me the good booze. And beer. <3 It's not the end of the world to have a great time and take in too many calories, if you're consistent usually- there's zero problemo with some fun now and then if you ask me :)
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    One day won't kill you. I would however suggest you avoid the scale for a few days after and drink extra water to flush your system. For me the scale is crazy cruel after a few cocktails, so it's better to avoid it for a day or two and be extra careful not to skip workouts and watch the food immediately following. I'll be having some cocktails tonight, I mix my wine with 0Cal Flavored Sparkling Soda water, so I'm drinking socially but not killing the diet.
    THIS!
    The scale punishes me for DAYS after a drink...
  • TiffanyBB1986
    TiffanyBB1986 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Do the 48 hour rule. If you know Saturday is a write off with lots of food and booze, enjoy it! BUT for 24 hours before and 24 hours after you must eat healthy, exercise and drink lots of water. Works like a charm
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Just build in the calories and exercise to earn just like you would for everything else you ingest.
  • keepupwithjack
    keepupwithjack Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Learn how to be social without drinking too much. Limit yourself to a couple of drinks. Enjoy the company of those you are with. Stay in control of what you eat and what you drink.

For what it's worth, it's a red flag to me if you can't enjoy a party without drinking to excess, then calories aren't the biggest issue.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't drink much but gonna have a party this weekend that includes lots and lots and Lots of alcohol and basically I wanna drink and drink enough to feel really good but I heard alcohol has a lot of calories how do you manage that? Should I workout twice as hard the day before or the day after or should I lower my daily food calories? I'm sooo confused!

One day is pretty irrelevant...

Also, the calories in alcohol cannot be stored by your body...it has to be metabolized immediately. To that end, when alcohol is in your system, you cannot metabolize anything else...no fat oxidation occurs and anything food wise you consume goes to storage. So the booze is not usually the issue...it's the copious amounts of crap food you eat while your boozed up and your metabolism is closed for business that really get you.

Also, I drink most weekends...so long as I'm doing well for the rest of the week, a Saturday evening of fun has never hindered my cuts.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Alternate your drinks with water or tea. Not only will that slow down the absorption of alcohol into your system, it will help lessen the hangover.

As for the calories, you can either plan ahead and figure out what drinks are worth what calories and go from that, or just consider it a celebration day and don't worry about it. I would go with option two. If it's a party and not something you do very often, one day of going over your calories isn't going be a problem. And what's the point of going to a party when you're worrying about calories the whole time you're there? Enjoy yourself!