DMSO & Magnesium Oil combination to aid recovery?

Options
Djproulx
Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
A few of my friends are looking at an Endurance Event, "29Zero29", an event that requires participants to climb a ski mountain 17 times over a weekend to equal the elevation of an ascent of Mt Everest. (crazy, I know, even before considering the $3,500 entry fee). To describe the event, they sent a link to me with a blog that described one person's experience in climbing it.

In the article, the author described his use of DMSO Cream with Aloe, as well as Magnesium Oil, to help speed up muscle recovery and reduce joint inflammation from the day's climb. He also described the effectiveness of these two products in relieving tendonitis in his elbows and Achilles tendon due to overtraining.

My question: Has anyone tried DMSO and magnesium oil in combination? I take magnesium as a supplement now, but understand that a transdermal approach might be more effective, just like taking an Epsom Salt bath. I really know nothing about DMSO.

Interested in feedback from anyone who has tried it.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I can't help you personally, but while you are waiting for replies, examine.com is a great evidence based site reviewing supplements and the like. Might be worth checking out if they have anything to say on that stuff!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    My wife has used Magnesium Oil (it's actually just magnesium dissolved in water). She likes it a lot. A lot of women with Fibromyalgia use it and swear by it. No experience at all with DSMO. As for Magnesium Oil, there's one manufacturer on Amazon that sells the Hexahydrate variety in it's crystal form. It's incredibly cheaper to buy it that way and make your own Mag Oil than pay for the higher end stuff premixed. The Hexahydrate variety is supposed to burn and itch much less.

This stuff is so reasonable, she'll take baths with it in the bath water.

Perhaps consider making your own TheraGun?
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I'll check out examine.com to see what I can learn about DMSO.

I have also taken Epsom Salt (magnesium) baths after long runs during marathon training and found them helpful. I have access to a "Thumper", which is a pulsating tool that can be applied to back, legs, etc. It provides some relief between visits to the massage therapist.

I"m really hoping to figure out the right combination of treatments for my shoulder and achilles soreness during the off season.
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I'll check out examine.com to see what I can learn about DMSO.

I have also taken Epsom Salt (magnesium) baths after long runs during marathon training and found them helpful. I have access to a "Thumper", which is a pulsating tool that can be applied to back, legs, etc. It provides some relief between visits to the massage therapist.

I"m really hoping to figure out the right combination of treatments for my shoulder and achilles soreness during the off season.

I have a Thumper too, but a Theragun takes it to the next level. They are $499 though. YouTube (American ingenuity) has figured out that all a Theragun is is a reciprocating saw with a special ball attachment. People are now making their own for around $100 or so. My son, who is very active in BJJ (MMA), says his gym has a bunch of guys that basically use homemade Theraguns on each other often after sessions. He claims that helps tremendously as well. His workouts are insane.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I've tried DMSO w/o any apparent good or bad effects.

Vets and trainers/owners use it on horses. It is restricted for human use but you can buy it in quantity at feed stores and/or other places that serve horse owners. That's where I bought it. If you buy any, you should dilute it and use it sparing since he adverse effects are not well researched.

Lots of articles on the Net about it. You should do as much research as possible b4 you use it yourself.
  • Djproulx
    Options

I have a Thumper too, but a Theragun takes it to the next level. They are $499 though. YouTube (American ingenuity) has figured out that all a Theragun is is a reciprocating saw with a special ball attachment. People are now making their own for around $100 or so. My son, who is very active in BJJ (MMA), says his gym has a bunch of guys that basically use homemade Theraguns on each other often after sessions. He claims that helps tremendously as well. His workouts are insane.

I like the Thumper, but have had limited success with it, since its hard to work the trigger point issue on my shoulder without someone else to apply the tool. The best results come from using a lacrosse ball and applying bodyweight to the spot. Massage therapy is effective as well.

The Theragun sounds like a great solution for your son's needs.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I've tried DMSO w/o any apparent good or bad effects.

Vets and trainers/owners use it on horses. It is restricted for human use but you can buy it in quantity at feed stores and/or other places that serve horse owners. That's where I bought it. If you buy any, you should dilute it and use it sparing since he adverse effects are not well researched.

Lots of articles on the Net about it. You should do as much research as possible b4 you use it yourself.

I ordered some DMSO w/aloe cream online. Will read up on it before applying...and sparingly when I do. Thanks for the tip.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited October 2018
    Options
    If you ever have a chance to try a PureWave, try one. We actually gave away our Thumper to my stepson last month. Purewave is SO much better. It has an attachment on it like a lacrosse or tennis ball. It's only $100 and cordless. My son loved (when he was just home) that he could reach his back with it unassisted. He just didn't think it was as strong as the Theragun. Those two massagers are game changers with the way they have a tennis ball/lacrosse ball type of attachment.

It's hard to explain, but with most thumpers, the ends are hard and if you hit bone, it hurts. With both Theragun and Purewave, you can go right over bone and it doesn't hurt. I row a ton and sometimes had bad cramps, tendon issues near my knees and shin bones. The Purewave is fantastic for that. It's a high-intensity percussion massager.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of magnesium oil.

It's cheap here in the UK. I pay £2.99.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    If you ever have a chance to try a PureWave, try one. We actually gave away our Thumper to my stepson last month. Purewave is SO much better. It has an attachment on it like a lacrosse or tennis ball. It's only $100 and cordless. My son loved (when he was just home) that he could reach his back with it unassisted. He just didn't think it was as strong as the Theragun. Those two massagers are game changers with the way they have a tennis ball/lacrosse ball type of attachment.

It's hard to explain, but with most thumpers, the ends are hard and if you hit bone, it hurts. With both Theragun and Purewave, you can go right over bone and it doesn't hurt. I row a ton and sometimes had bad cramps, tendon issues near my knees and shin bones. The Purewave is fantastic for that. It's a high-intensity percussion massager.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will check out the Purewave. I really struggle with a trigger point issue in the scapular region, and this pain/tightness becomes constant when I ramp up swim and bike work. (I'm in the aero position on my bike for 6-8 hours/week during training builds) The Purewave might be useful as part of the daily routine.

Thinking that my Achilles tendon issue will ultimately be resolved by following the ongoing hip/glute/quad mobilization and flexibility work prescribed and monitored by the sports MD. (Isn't it always the hip flexors?? lol) In the meantime, heating pad sessions followed by self massage and application of magnesium oil and biofreeze seem to be the solution. Will also see if DMSO provides enhanced absorption of Magnesium Oil.

Of course, at age 60, my Plan B is to stop long course triathlon racing altogether and become a couch potato. :)
  • ashleyallen87
    ashleyallen87 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    A few of my friends are looking at an Endurance Event, "29Zero29", an event that requires participants to climb a ski mountain 17 times over a weekend to equal the elevation of an ascent of Mt Everest. (crazy, I know, even before considering the $3,500 entry fee). To describe the event, they sent a link to me with a blog that described one person's experience in climbing it.

In the article, the author described his use of DMSO Cream with Aloe, as well as Magnesium Oil, to help speed up muscle recovery and reduce joint inflammation from the day's climb. He also described the effectiveness of these two products in relieving tendonitis in his elbows and Achilles tendon due to overtraining.

My question: Has anyone tried DMSO and magnesium oil in combination? I take magnesium as a supplement now, but understand that a transdermal approach might be more effective, just like taking an Epsom Salt bath. I really know nothing about DMSO.

all I know is to be careful with DMSO...I've been riding horses for over 20 years and when I worked with race horses we used DMSO all the time on them and we wore gloves to apply it every single time! I'm not a Dr and do not know how much DMSO is considered harmful to humans, but I've always been told to use gloves when applying it.
  • Djproulx
    Options

all I know is to be careful with DMSO...I've been riding horses for over 20 years and when I worked with race horses we used DMSO all the time on them and we wore gloves to apply it every single time! I'm not a Dr and do not know how much DMSO is considered harmful to humans, but I've always been told to use gloves when applying it.

Thanks for the word of caution. Your post makes me think that I should reach out to our local Veterinarian, who is also a horse owner.