When is it safe to buy new "skinny" clothes?

Options
I'm only a few pounds away from my goal weight. I want to show off my weight-loss by wearing new fitted clothes. But I'm worried that those few pounds left might be another pant size on me since I'm petite. I know I should wait and see what size I am then, but what if I reach my goal but lose even more fat in the following weeks and drop another size? I just bought new pants a month ago but now they are already a little big. I have to wear a belt with all my pants now and I had to add more notches to my belt just to use my belt. When is it safe to invest in some nice new clothes?

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I thought I was done losing in early spring. My shorts are all pretty loose; I can slip most off with them buttoned. I would prefer not to have to wear a belt, but I am certainly not going to gain to make that happen. I worked too hard to get here. I have mixed feelings about holding off once you make goal. There is the practicality of asking "what if I let myself gain weight?" and the self confidence boost of saying "this is the new me; i need new clothes." I chose the latter. I was not slow about getting rid of the bigger stuff either.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    If you've only a few pounds to lose then its likely the size you would buy today will be fine in a few pounds time. I found it took me around 10lbs to drop a dress size (I had 30lbs to lose). So unless you think you will end up losing closer to that then hold off the shopping for now, or buy a few cheaper items, thrift stores or ebay are great for bargain buys.

I dropped from a UK size 14 to a UK size 8 over the period of two years, I bought a few things in smaller sizes during that time because I wanted to look good and see my physical progress. I have since sold my bigger sized clothes on ebay and now only have size 8-10's in my wardrobe.

Enjoy the shopping spree :smiley:
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    I'd wait until you get to where you want to be to invest in a whole new wardrobe. Maybe buy a few pieces for now and see how it goes
    Exactly what I was gonna say
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I would just buy maybe 1 or 2 pairs of pants for now, maybe try thrift stores.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i bought a pair of trousers in spring that were a bit too tight, i figured when i lost a couple of pounds they would fit.

over summer i started strength training, and hit an 11 week plateau.... i've lost 1lb in scale weight and the trousers are no longer too tight, they just don't fit right... had i tried them on now in the shop i would never have bought them!!!
  • vollkornbloedchen
    vollkornbloedchen Posts: 2,243 Member
    Options
    lnalangan wrote: »
    If stuff is too big get it altered by a good tailor to fit your new shape!

...or keep it in your closet until "oversize"-garment is hip again ... (can't last too long)
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    I bought or was given smaller clothes all the way through my weight loss (from 24/26 to 4/6). Look for smaller sizes at thrift shops, hit up any friends/family who can donate, etc. You feel so much better wearing stuff that really fits. I did wear some stuff that I liked longer than I probably should have using belts (and staples a couple of times!).

OMG so inspiring!! I am starting at a size 14/16 and trying to get to a size 6/8 and some days I feel like it's so unnatainable! Way to make it happen! Congratulations on your weight loss! ox
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,786 Member
    Options
    I never had to actually figure this one out. As a yo yo dieter over the years I had a closet FULL of skinny clothes. I hit maintenance last Oct 2017 and in Dec I cleaned out my closet. Found lots of cool stuff stashed away to wear. Took a LOT of stuff to good will. Sadly some of the skinnier stuff was really pretty ugly and had to be relocated also. Come this Dec I am going to go thru again and things which I haven't worn in over a year are going to get relocated also. Best of luck. You will know when you are exactly where you want to be shape wise and at that point you should dress for skinny success,
  • Christinaluvly
    Christinaluvly Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores will be your best friend for awhile. You might go lower or higher than your goal weight so you might spend a lot of money on clothes that down the road won't fit you right. If you don't like thrift clothes shopping, maybe check out some cheaper options like Forever 21.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    iowalinda wrote: »
    lnalangan wrote: »
    If stuff is too big get it altered by a good tailor to fit your new shape!

Just a head's up - having clothes altered isn't cheap. Many times it's cheaper to buy new, especially if it's a "good" tailor :)

Yup. I have a very small number of clothes I will take to a tailor to have altered once my weight is settled for a year at where I want it, but for 90 percent of my clothes, replacing is cheaper.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Consignment stores are great for when you are losing weight. You can get new clothes without breaking the bank. If you lose more or gain a little, you can sell your clothes and get new ones.