Legs getting bigger not smaller!

Options
Hi all, I work out about 5 to 6 times a week in a gym. I have lost 18 pounds since September and i am still in the same pant size! I do a lot of cardio and arm lifting. Started doing a little of running. Was never in any sports so dont know much about working out! I love working out but I feel my legs are bigger then they were 18 pounds ago!! I would love to lose inches and still gain that muscle!!! Thanks all any advice helps!!!

Replies

• d_northrop
    d_northrop Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    kaygirlhey wrote: »
    Unfortunately you can't "spot lose" from certain areas of the body. With fat, the first to go on is the last to come off usually. Have you actually measured your legs with measuring tape? They might actually be smaller and you might not realize it! You can tone your legs and once the fat comes off from calorie burn, they will be more shapely but if your legs have always been a problem area, the fat deposit there will probably be last to go

Thanks I was in a six week online chellange and tomorrow I ll see the inches part of it! Yes legs have always been a problem area I will keep working harder and be patient.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Do you "feel" your legs are bigger or have you actually measured them in the exact same spot? What was your starting measurement, and when, and what is it now? What location on the leg do you measure?

This
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Measure and take pictures. It really helps when our brain is trying to fake us out.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    The bulk of calf muscles are on the back of the leg closer to the knee than the ankle. When I lost a lot of weight, I thought I had gained a massive amount of muscle there because the proportions changed so much, but it turns out they are actually smaller; some pants that were too tight there now fit fine.
  • sophiaeleanora
    sophiaeleanora Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I want to understand the concept of
    ... With fat, the first to go on is the last to come off usually....

Does it mean that if I gain a few lbs of fat, let's say on my legs, and I then lose the same amount of lbs of fat. Is it then possible that I lose the fat from, let's say anywhere on my upper body, instead of the fat I recently gained on my legs?

That would mean that jojo-dieting, losing and gaining the same amount of weight over a long period of time, actually shapes my body into a, in this case, pear shape?

Just curious how it works, if someone wants to explain! Sorry if hijacking/off topic
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

Does it mean that if I gain a few lbs of fat, let's say on my legs, and I then lose the same amount of lbs of fat. Is it then possible that I lose the fat from, let's say anywhere on my upper body, instead of the fat I recently gained on my legs?

That would mean that jojo-dieting, losing and gaining the same amount of weight over a long period of time, actually shapes my body into a, in this case, pear shape?

Just curious how it works, if someone wants to explain! Sorry if hijacking/off topic

No, it does't really work that way. It's not linear... as in the the first 5lbs go to your problem area every time you gain, and the first 5 come off someone else every time you lose. It doesn't really compound like that (usually). Most people will keep similar proportions as they gain/lose fat unless they are at the extremes (for lack of a better word) of body composition. You can certainly change your shape with resistance training and intentional muscle development, though.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,961 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Measure and take pictures. It really helps when our brain is trying to fake us out.

This!!!

I'm coming up on my 3-year maintenance anniversary, and I still look at myself and feel like I'm fat. I need measurements, pics, and taking conscious note of how my clothes fit and that they aren't a big size to remind me that my mind is a trifflin' punk. :unamused:
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

There's not a science to it like that. It just means that everyone genetically has an area that their body seems to prefer storing fat. And it's usually that last place you are fluffy when the rest of you is skinny. For many it's the lower stomach, or the hips.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I think it's all in your head. Women usually store most of the fat in their lower half so that's probably why you haven't dropped a pant size, but I doubt they've actually gotten bigger. Maybe they just look bigger in proportion to the rest of your body which has gotten smaller.