Getting Frustrated

Options
I have used myfitnesspal in the past and am starting a new push to lose weight. I have been logging EVERYTHING in for exactly ten days. I am using the new Fitbit Charge 3 around the clock to track daily calories and exercise. I am consistently 500-800 calories under my calorie target which, is already set up to lose 1.5 lbs per week. Therefore, I am about 900-1200 calories under my daily goal for the past ten days. I do not drink alcohol at all and I am exercising with weights or cycling roughly about 5-6 times per week. This is all tracked in the fitbit and synced to myfitnesspal.

I have lost zero pounds in the last ten days. Weight is tracked through my Garmin scale synced to myfitnesspal.

Just a bit frustrated that I am not seeing any movement. Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.......

Replies

• ebholmes27
    ebholmes27 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Tracking below culld3mfwbvl.jpg
  • ebholmes27
    Options
    height - 5'11"
    Weight - 215 lbs (goal 180)
    Age - 50
    Gender - Male
    Ave Daily Goal - 1830 (myfitnesspal goal to achieve 1.5 lb lose per day)
    Ave Intake - Around 2200 (see graphs below for more detail)

I do not weigh my food. Calories are taken from MFP, bar code, or Cooking Light. I typically eat smallish portions and leave the table hungry. Foods consist of lean proteins, eggs, yogurt, veggies, white rice, salads for lunch & left overs. Snacks apples, bananas, or a handful of nuts / dried fruit (all logged) I cheat with a bowl of ice-cream if I am well under my goal.

I was a Expert / Elite class mountain biker 4 years ago and broke my leg. I dealt with 6 surgeries to repair it and stop infection over the last 3 year hence, the weight gain. I weighed 170 when tapering for races.

My exercise routine has amped up do to getting back. Typically only 6-7 hours per week, weights 4x per week, lots of Fitbit hiking and stairs (logged) and the rest on the bike. At 50, I doubt I am builing significant muscle weight and BMI has remained steady at 30 (eeekkk!)

MuscleFlex - so under my target because I am not losing. I do have plenty of energy for days and working out (not bonking at all) 6mvonio4iftb.jpg
    imq8iskke2p0.jpg
  • ebholmes27
    Options
    Thanks BTW! ~ Eric
  • andyroo512
    andyroo512 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I always "cheat" with ice cream too. However, I've been getting the low-fat ice cream (Halotop or Aldi brand) and eating about 5 pints a week (they're only 240 calories per pint for vanilla). I lost about 20 lbs using a calorie deficit of 300-500 per day - including the ice cream.

Also, I would suggest you start meal prepping. Make one meal or snack and eat it consistently for the week. This will make the rest of your diet easier by building consistency. I don't weigh foods but I do calculate serving sizes to track an estimate of my calories and have become a bit of a math nerd in the process.

I also agree with the other posts that you're likely eating more than you think.

I added two pictures of what I do with strawberries and grapes. The strawberries are a pound (16 ounces) per container divided by 4 containers = 4 oz per serving. Same with grapes - buy several pounds (multiply by 16 to convert to ounces) and then divide by the number of containers. The picture shown is 10lbs of grapes divided by 20 containers = 8 ounces per container. This is time-consuming but it's great during a busy week to grab-n-go.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You are eating more than you think you are... I am too.
    I have lost 72 pounds this year. I am within 8 pounds of goal weight so a few weeks ago I changed my MFP goal to lose .5 pounds per week. I log my food and calories. I use a food scale. I exercise and my Garmin syncs to MFP. In 18 days I haven't lost any weight. Why? Because I sneak a tortilla chip here, a candy corn there, I skip logging the lettuce and tomatoes on my sandwich because "they have almost no calories". As a consequence I am eating more than I should and more than my log is reporting. I know that's true because I haven't lost any weight in 18 days.So I'm tightening up on my logging and being more self aware of what I'm eating. It's simple - but not easy.

^^ aint that the truth!

It all comes down to how badly we want to shift those last pounds because its hard work. But stick with it and its absolutely achievable.
  • jtechmart
    jtechmart Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I usually don’t start to see real results until week 3 when I’m just getting started again. And I use a Fitbit charge 2, the calories burned is just a reference to me. I know if it says I burned 3200 cals in a day, and I ate 1800 cals according to MTP logging, then I know I’ll get expected results because I’ve tested it before.

I don’t think of results in terms of Fitbit cals burned, cals consumed according to MFP, and the online blogs that say x cal deficit = 2 pounds per week. I just put together a program that makes sense, track everything with Fitbit and MTP, and measure my results after a few weeks. Then I know for real what the numbers mean because I’ve tested it.
  • DistortedVisionUK
    DistortedVisionUK Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    FitBit calorific expenditure from exercise is grossly inaccurately. I find that Polar HR monitors are much more accurate.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    ebholmes27 wrote: »
    I have used myfitnesspal in the past and am starting a new push to lose weight. I have been logging EVERYTHING in for exactly ten days. I am using the new Fitbit Charge 3 around the clock to track daily calories and exercise. I am consistently 500-800 calories under my calorie target which, is already set up to lose 1.5 lbs per week. Therefore, I am about 900-1200 calories under my daily goal for the past ten days. I do not drink alcohol at all and I am exercising with weights or cycling roughly about 5-6 times per week. This is all tracked in the fitbit and synced to myfitnesspal.

I have lost zero pounds in the last ten days. Weight is tracked through my Garmin scale synced to myfitnesspal.

Just a bit frustrated that I am not seeing any movement. Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.......

A lot of people like syncing the fitbit into my fitnesspal. I disconnected mine. It was giving me too many calories.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    If you are not weighing your food you are VERY VERY VERY likely eating more than you think. we are humans (espeically those of us here to loose weight) are bad at eyeballing quantity and even using measuring spoons is not always accurate on high calorie items. GET A SCALE. use it for all the foods you can (which is most).

But also, 10 days is a drop in the bucket. weight loss is a marathon. baby steps. you didn't put on that weight in a month, you are not going to loose it in a month.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    While I also endorse using a food scale, I want to point out that if the exercise just started recently you are likely retaining water from that. My own scale went up 7 pounds when I started lifting weights again.