Beginner kettle bell question

Options
I'm thinking of adding kettle bell exercises. I'm in decent shape and already lift weights so I was thinking of starting with 35lb. My question is, as a beginner, I could just stick with one instead of a pair? Thanks.

Replies

• Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Yep absolutely I almost never use KBs in pairs. You get a lot of benefits from using them unilaterally.

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I started with a 20, then a 35, now I'm using a 25 kg one (52 or 53 lbs). Depends on what you're using it for. 35 lbs ends up being a bit light for swings. If you're doing mostly swings, you'll "graduate" beyond it quickly. I'm 54 next month and not a terribly strong guy (I'm around average strength) and I have no problems with the 25 kg one. I still use the other ones, though, for things like one armed military press ups, one armed rows, sometimes if I'm stiff or sore, I might use the 35 lb one still for swings even or for pendulum dead lifts on one leg.

To me, the most important thing is get a high quality, powder coated one that won't shred your hands. They will last forever. Cheaper ones can just tear up your hands. About the only mistake I did was I used my 25 kg to keep my Concept2 from moving when I did sprints and ended up sweating on it and causing some rust stains (which I can get off of it if I was worried about it). Just don't want to put directly on concrete or let water get on them and they will last forever. Invest in higher quality ones. There are a couple adjustable ones up to 40 lbs that are decent as well. I bought the Apex one and still have that. Though pricier, the 40 lb adjustable one from Kettlebell Kings is great (around $129). Honestly, I'd start with a powder coated 35 lb and then get a 25 kg powder coated later. With those two, that's about all you need unless you're wanting really heavy ones for swings or deadlifts down the road.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Appreciate the replies.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are going to "do" with the kettlebell. A swing or squat would be quite different from a get up. What are you doing with weights that leads to conclude a 35 lb KB is appropriate? What do you want to do with KB?
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    It depends on what you are going to "do" with the kettlebell. A swing or squat would be quite different from a get up. What are you doing with weights that leads to conclude a 35 lb KB is appropriate? What do you want to do with KB?
    As a beginner, I was thinking along the line of swings and squats. The poundage is just based on recommendations I’ve read online.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I wasn't sure what size either so I went to a sports store and tried a few out. Just don't brain anyone walking by. :#
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    As a beginner, I was thinking along the line of swings and squats. The poundage is just based on recommendations I’ve read online.
    You need to base the weight on what you can handle rather than what a random writer thinks.