Change in weather affected my cravings.

Options
cre804
cre804 Posts: 345 Member
Here in Texas we seem to have skipped autumn. I left for vacation and it was warm, came home and it’s winter. Now I want to eat all the things. Has anyone else experienced appetite changes when the weather changes?

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Heck yes! but I have ironclad willpower most of the time :smiley:
    More cups of tea help and not watching cooking programmes on telly after 8pm LOL (cos they made me wanna eat!)
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Always happens to me. I love Warm Winter Bowls, lots of Buddha bowls, Curries are fantastic, hot filling soups. Instapots are great for Winter. I actually look forward now to breaking out the Instapot and making stews/curries and one pot hot meals.

Our bodies instinctively want to fatten up for Winter. I'm not sure where you are in your weight loss journey, but I can tell you for sure, it gets worse after you lose the weight. I lost 70 lbs and have maintained for six plus years. My old fat used to keep me quite warm. I freeze now in the Winter. Texas is warm compared to Ohio (and there's much colder than where I live!).

Bundling up helps as well. I have a foot warmer at my desk, wear warm clothes and have space heaters if I need them as well. Warm Cinnamon tea helps me a lot too in the AMs. Love Sweet and Spicy teas (the one I use has a bit of Stevia in the tea bag so no added calories). There are a lot of tricks to not chowing down in Winter.
  • AEC50
    AEC50 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yep. I indulge a bit (I love to bake!), but try to keep within my weekly numbers. I agree with the others, though, tea is the best for this!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Not really...my preferences just change. Rather than wanting to grill and cookout I go into soup and stew mode...I'd say if anything, my calories probably drop a bit in the winter with soups and stews, which is a good thing, because my activity typically drops as well.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I laughed when you said "winter in Texas" but then remembered 4 years ago I worked down there and spent a few days freezing my behind. Chilly fall weather there feels like our winter here in Montana. In answer to your question, yes, cooler weather brings out the crock pot and all the goodness that can be made in it. It's almost like bears fattening up for winter hibernation!
  • LeannJeffers
    LeannJeffers Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Minnesota also skipped over Autumn :( I find that in the winter I don't eat near as much. For some weird reason my weight loss has always been better in the winter?
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Minnesota also skipped over Autumn :( I find that in the winter I don't eat near as much. For some weird reason my weight loss has always been better in the winter?

We kind of skipped autumn as well. We're finally getting some nice weather so I can get all my yard work wrapped up...I had to wait for the snow to melt first. And if you got snow last week, you're welcome. I'm always willing to share. Once winter settles in seriously, I'm able to get back on track.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I’m jealous, it’s 90 degrees outside right now and humid... feels like 110. After going for a run the last thing I feel like doing is eating 🙁.