Any parents or family of amazing special needs children of any age and any ability?

Options

Replies

• Nicksmom106
    Nicksmom106 Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    My late daughter was 28 when she passed, cerebral palsy quadreplegia, asthma, tube feed, on oxygen, we miss her so much, she would have been 43 now she passed when she was 28. I'm very grateful I was always her to look after her 24/7.
    Bless you all you are doing a great job for your children/adults

I wish I could hug you in real life!!!πŸ’”πŸ’— my tears for you are because you were always there for her and now she's your own personal πŸ‘Ό!!!! Please know you are still in our tribe!!! Much love and tears and thanks for your story sweetheart!!!! She is too.πŸ˜˜πŸ˜‡πŸ’”πŸ’—πŸ’žπŸ‘πŸ˜˜

I can even comprehend how strong you are or your pain...but you are amazing!!!!.thank you for sharing and your kind words!!!πŸ’—πŸ’”πŸ‘
  • erikarunsforherlife
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am the proud mommy of 2 kids. The littlest one (who we affectionately call Littlest) is 4 and non-verbal autistic. I have NO idea what the future holds. He is a little ball of sunshine, but ugh I just wish I knew what his path would be. He actually does have a couple words like "No, tickle, dad, mom, and GO". Go is his favorite because he loves to be on the go lol. Last week, his doctor and the Kennedy Krieger CARD said "He's going to talk". Not even maybe, but YES he will talk. I don't know how she knows but she's been working with autistic kids for decades!

It's so nice to meet all you lovely ladies!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am the proud mommy of 2 kids. The littlest one (who we affectionately call Littlest) is 4 and non-verbal autistic. I have NO idea what the future holds. He is a little ball of sunshine, but ugh I just wish I knew what his path would be. He actually does have a couple words like "No, tickle, dad, mom, and GO". Go is his favorite because he loves to be on the go lol. Last week, his doctor and the Kennedy Krieger CARD said "He's going to talk". Not even maybe, but YES he will talk. I don't know how she knows but she's been working with autistic kids for decades!

It's scary to not know what's going to happen. Even now with an 18 year old I worry. But we always have little milestones along the way to keep us encouraged. Having another child around to model speech helps too. I only have the one child and I think that made things harder for her though it would have been too much for me.

It's nice to meet you as well. Your "littlest" sounds adorable.
  • Nicksmom106
    edited October 2018
    Options

I am sot happy to meet you!!!!😘

What wonderful news! Just stay positive girl, sometimes you don't immediately see the silver lining but its there...even in heart ache...especially in joyπŸ’ž

I have news for you and littlest btw....(love that nickname!!!) Your little guy on the go will almost likely be a on the go ALWAYS!!! LolπŸƒ he sounds like my wild child lol we called him Spider-Man cuz he literally climbed walls....well door ways ....we'd just walk under him to get in a room haha...ah the good o days! Good luck and enjoy because it's a blast!πŸ‘πŸ˜πŸ˜‹

Hugs🌼
    Ali
  • Nicksmom106
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Hope all of you are taking good care of yourselves today!!!πŸ™‹πŸ‘πŸ’ͺ

It's not only gonna help you help them but also will make you feel sooo good....even though my mind is telling the brownies i made for company would be okay with one missing...in my belly😏 😁 and also be soooo good for meπŸ˜‹
  • Nicksmom106
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: Β»

It's scary to not know what's going to happen. Even now with an 18 year old I worry. But we always have little milestones along the way to keep us encouraged. Having another child around to model speech helps too. I only have the one child and I think that made things harder for her though it would have been too much for me.

It's nice to meet you as well. Your "littlest" sounds adorable.

Nicholas is my only too.....wanna be roomies?! πŸ˜„πŸ˜‰πŸ˜
  • Cant_think_of_a_username
    Options
    Hello Ali,my eldest son is 17 and is affected by dyspraxia and Asperger's - I totally understand how you feel about the future (as well as doing too much for him!). I teach youngsters in the 7-9 year old range and work with some wonderful individuals who see the world differently - finding new ways to unlock their potential is hugely rewarding.
  • Nicksmom106
    Options
    Hello Ali,my eldest son is 17 and is affected by dyspraxia and Asperger's - I totally understand how you feel about the future (as well as doing too much for him!). I teach youngsters in the 7-9 year old range and work with some wonderful individuals who see the world differently - finding new ways to unlock their potential is hugely rewarding.

Oh thank you for your dedication as a parent and educator!!! You are amazing and an inspiration!πŸŒΌπŸ‘ I think hope in our kids is something that never lessons no matter where they fall in life's ability scaleπŸ˜‰πŸ‘πŸ˜˜

• Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    I've been a Full-Time Dad to a special needs daughter for the past 5 years. She was born 9 weeks premature from a Urogenital Malformation, had a stroke from the trauma of her birth giving her Cerebral Palsy, and has been developmentally delayed from various complications over the first few years of her life. On top of this, she was a Dec 26th, baby dumping into the school system a year earlier than she should be (prematurity irrelevant), but don my super shirts to fight for her needs daily and get her the support she needs to be her best!

She's now 5 1/2 and settling well into her first year of Kindergarten and I couldn't be happier at seeing her grow and develop.
  • kami3006
    Options
    I wish you the best Super Dad!
  • Cant_think_of_a_username
    Options

Oh thank you for your dedication as a parent and educator!!! You are amazing and an inspiration!πŸŒΌπŸ‘ I think hope in our kids is something that never lessons no matter where they fall in life's ability scaleπŸ˜‰πŸ‘πŸ˜˜

Thank you - I quit my old career and re-trained when I turned 40 which was a big step. My son's poor experience at school made me so angry with the system that I wanted to do something positive to improve the experience for others.
    Egger29 wrote: Β»
    I've been a Full-Time Dad to a special needs daughter for the past 5 years. She was born 9 weeks premature from a Urogenital Malformation, had a stroke from the trauma of her birth giving her Cerebral Palsy, and has been developmentally delayed from various complications over the first few years of her life. On top of this, she was a Dec 26th, baby dumping into the school system a year earlier than she should be (prematurity irrelevant), but don my super shirts to fight for her needs daily and get her the support she needs to be her best!

She's now 5 1/2 and settling well into her first year of Kindergarten and I couldn't be happier at seeing her grow and develop.

Glad to hear she is settling well now - my son was premature by the same amount too and was also pushed up a year group due to his early birth. He's a tough little fighter and I couldn't be more proud of him.
  • thatguygage2543
    thatguygage2543 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi my 6 year old son is deaf and autistic and we just recently found to masses on his brain and go back next week to find out more I do everything I can to make sure he eats as healthy and gets as much of his daily vitamins and protiens when his mother let's me have him on the weekends but I do all I can for him and myself to stay strong each and everyday to everyone
    Stay strong and may you be blessed
  • adrianhelen
    adrianhelen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do. My youngest is 6 and on the autism spectrum. She also has hypotonia and is speech delayed.
  • Nicksmom106
    Options

You are such a wonderful dad!πŸ‘πŸ˜˜ and.musician and superhero to your angel!!

It is so difficult to see our babies struggle but such a blessing as they shine!!!
    Big hugs!!!

Thanks so much for sharing...this is why I love our tribe!😍. Strong and resilient just like our babies!!!

πŸ’žπŸŒΌπŸ’ͺ😁
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Autism is a spectrum. On the extreme left side of non-functioning on that scale is my brother's daughter. She's 36. Her needs influenced his career decisions. At this time he conducts his business from home while he and his wife provide her with 24-7 care. At some point he and his wife will not be able to care for her. She has 2 healthy brothers, one of whom is married and living nearby. They haven't told me what their plans are.
  • Nicksmom106
    Options
    Hi my 6 year old son is deaf and autistic and we just recently found to masses on his brain and go back next week to find out more I do everything I can to make sure he eats as healthy and gets as much of his daily vitamins and protiens when his mother let's me have him on the weekends but I do all I can for him and myself to stay strong each and everyday to everyone
    Stay strong and may you be blessed

Oh wow hon! πŸ’”πŸ’žI will pray and send your boy all the positive wishes I can!!! You keep.strong...he needs you and you are really gonna be stresses/worried and in a constant state of fear...I know hon...been there many times...not the same.of course but I do remember having that, " how could.the whole world not stop when my life was in such turmoil! " feeling!

Nicholas now almost 18, underwent 3 major operations for his kidneys and urethra. All before 2.5 yrs....the last was supposed to be 2 to 3 hrs and lasted almost 6 and we'll to say I was a wreck.would be like saying your heart being torn out was a boo boo😒 long story short all worked out and security didn't mind my scene of tears and screaming to my husband Get my baby NOOOOOW!!!!!😭 when they found out why I was losing.my mind at the 4 hour mark which upscaled to a 9 on the Richter scale😏

I think this is going to.rock you no matter what and all I can offer is my friendship and compassion and hope! I will tell you having you be there for him the way you are is absolutely beautiful and my heart will be with you both!
    πŸ’žπŸ‘

As for trying to get him to eat healthy and his vitamins in him tells me God knew what he was doing when he blessed you both with each other!!🌼

Come chat anytime you need mr. And stay πŸ’ͺ you are more so than you know!πŸ˜‡πŸ˜
  • Nicksmom106
    Options
    I do. My youngest is 6 and on the autism spectrum. She also has hypotonia and is speech delayed.

Hugs and hellos!!!! Im.so happy to have you here and I don't know much about hypotonia, so I will goggle it but again...right parent for their special angel!!! Hope to chat.more soon!!!!πŸ‘πŸ˜‰πŸŒΌ
  • Nicksmom106
    Options

Thank you - I quit my old career and re-trained when I turned 40 which was a big step. My son's poor experience at school made me so angry with the system that I wanted to do something positive to improve the experience for others.

Glad to hear she is settling well now - my son was premature by the same amount too and was also pushed up a year group due to his early birth. He's a tough little fighter and I couldn't be more proud of him.

You're a wealth of info on sure many of us will take advantage of!!!πŸ˜πŸ‘πŸ˜˜
  • Nicksmom106
    Options
    So to change speed a bit....how do you find the time to exercise?!😭 lol im.making up all the chores class and work while nick.is in school.i.have almost no extra time for me to work out?!😣out

Tips people I need to steal.all your tips!!!😁

Much appreciated!😘🌼
    Ali
  • kami3006
    Options
    I have a home gym and made it a habit. I also have clinical depression so exercise is a big part of my treatment. Once I discovered weight lifting I was hooked. So I follow a powerlifting program 3x per week if I'm cutting or follow a combo of power/hypertrophy 4x per week if I'm maintaining or bulking. Heading into maintenance again now as I just finished a cut and have some wrist issues that will keep me from bulking this winter. Off days I use my elliptical or go for a run while the kiddo is in school or once my husband is home.

She's actually taken after me with the elliptical and hits it for almost an hour each evening or if she's feeling low (pms hits her hard or she's overwhelmed after school) she hops on it and feels a lot better afterwards.

Fortunately, I have time as I am only working part-time at the moment but even full time, I just do it. It helps in so many ways.