Did losing weight let you wear heels?

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
One thing I’m really enjoying about losing weight is the fashion options. I’ve lost 45lbs and I feel like I’m starting to develop a style rather than just covering my body to go places. Lots of plus size people have impeccable fashion, but I wasn’t one of them. Clothes weren’t really fun for me until now.

I got a cute pair of heels today second hand from a friend (I never even try heels on in stores because I know they’re Not For Me) and I noticed I could walk better than I remembered. Still not easily, but not death!

That got me wondering if losing more weight will make it easier, so I thought I’d ask and see what people have experienced!

Replies

• Jericha1992
    Jericha1992 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Huh. I hadn't thought about that. I noticed that it's been harder to walk in heels than it used to be... but I guess I thought I was just out of practice? But if my weight is the problem, I'm definitely looking forward to my kickass shoes again.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    It's definitely easier!

When I was younger I used to wear 3" stilettos all the time, but after I started gaining weight I found they just weren't comfortable any more. And the heavier I got, the harder it was to balance in even a moderate heel - I can't wear flats, so I had to make sure all my footwear had broader heels because narrow ones were a no-go.

I still find myself drawn more towards chunkier heels in general, but I've noticed I can walk much more confidently in a slim heel now too and balancing is so much easier (even though I'm also clumsy). I was never much of a "shoe girl", but recently I've been far more interested in trying on different styles and higher heels than I would have looked at previously - it's a ton of fun! :) And my feet shrank too... it can be a challenge figuring out what size I need now, since it seems to depend on the style and shape of the shoe. Anything from an 8 1/2 to a 10 might fit!

(Oh, and I now own some 3 1/2" block-heeled sandals that I wore all day for a wedding and was steady and comfortable in for the entire time. :) )
  • ata1anta
    ata1anta Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    iowalinda wrote: »
    Nope, no heels for me - they hurt my feet. Much rather be comfy :)

Me neither. Heels put me over 6’ tall and they do go well with my wobbly ankles. 👠
  • kalahmarii
    kalahmarii Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I wear heels occasionally after losing weight, despite my doctors orders. I actually wore them a lot more before I lost, which resulted in an old knee injury flaring up hahaha. Now I wear them and think "screw you Quong" despite the fact that he was just trying to prevent my knee from dislocating :D I think back to the fact that I wore heels at 280lbs+ and shudder cause I honestly don't know how my body held me up so well :D

But yes, they're definitely more comfortable now, and I feel less like a 30 storey building propped up on stilts when I wear them.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    ata1anta wrote: »

Me neither. Heels put me over 6’ tall and they do go well with my wobbly ankles. 👠

Some of us need the help :laugh: I wear a mid-heel to work almost every day.
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I don't wear heels.... ;):D
  • amykay9377
    amykay9377 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me happy! I noticed a while back that all my heels no longer fit, and I had to stop wearing them. I also went from a 10, to an 11 (11w) in some! So, hopefully, as I get smaller, my FEET will get smaller again, and I can fit back in to my awesome heels (the ones I still have anyway... I donated most of them, because they were cheapies from Payless or Walmart).
  • colorfulcoquette
    colorfulcoquette Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    ata1anta wrote: »

Some of us need the help :laugh: I wear a mid-heel to work almost every day.

I worked my way up to wearing 4" heels on a regular basis. And even with those on I'm still not tall enough to see over the cubicle walls :D

When I lost the weight my interest in dressing well went up exponentially - I needed a new wardrobe and I wanted one that made me feel beautiful. I now have a closet overflowing with all the pretty dresses and a collection of heels to match <3

@kiela64 I never really wore heels before so I can't say if it's gotten easier but I can completely relate to your newly found interest in fashion. It's been a wonderful discovering my inner fashionista and provides a lot of incentive to maintain my weight/size so I can wear all the pretty things in my closet :)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    @amykay9377 There is hope! My feet went from 6 or 6.5 to 7 or 7.5 back down to 6 and are definitely narrower. I'm a little bummed because I had some really cute shoes I'd bought in 7's but oh well - another excuse for shoe shopping!
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Yes. I like high heeled boots because now they fit my calves. I like strappy high heels because I don't have cankles anymore. My feet look more elegant in them instead of like Hobbit feet. I dropped a shoe size. Plus I don't feel like I'm stomping around about to strike oil. :#
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and my husband is 6'2" and I would love to wear heels again, I've been in flats for over 10 years, thanks for this I now have some optimism that one day I will 😊
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Jackie9003 wrote: »
    I'm 5'7" and my husband is 6'2" and I would love to wear heels again, I've been in flats for over 10 years, thanks for this I now have some optimism that one day I will 😊

My SO is about 1 inch taller than me so I look forward to matching or being taller :smiley: hehe
  • calichic74
    calichic74 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    One of the many things I look forward to doing again once I lose the weight...that and buying a bra from Victoria Secrets. Big boobs came along w/the weight gain! LOL!
  • babysaffy
    babysaffy Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yes! Yes! Yes!! I finally in the past fortnight started wearing heels out and about again even on my commute. So much easier to walk in and I finally can admit it was my weight stopping me the past 7 years, not my age lol
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!