Keto or Mediterranean

Options

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    38lbsX3500cal (approx 1lb) = 133000/ 30days = 4333cal is the deficit you would need to have maintained to lose 38lbs in a month....
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    I am keto and enjoy the keto WOE but some find it restrictive. I think the Mediterranean is a little less restrictive on carbs. I would guess (key word guess) that keto may be a bit faster way to reach your goal but there is nothing wrong with either.

The Mediterranean diet isn't carbohydrate-restricted at all. It encourages the consumption of fruits, vegetables, beans, and whole grains (along with moderate amounts of fish, dairy, and wine).

I know nothing about Mediterranean diet but would it be safe to say it is not a high carb diet?

Mediterranean food pyramid...

Mediterranean_diet_pyramid.jpg

THIS is exactly how we eat---but remember, a portion for us is very small.
  • MammaC66
    MammaC66 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight on either one as long as you are in a calorie deficit, but if you want a healthy way of eating that you can eat a variety of good foods and stick with for the long haul, I recommend the Mediterranean Diet. My husband's cardiologist recommended it to us. It is not really a diet as we think of a diet, but a healthy way of eating. I have done Keto in the past and lost weight, but I wouldn't do it again. It was not sustainable for me and I gained the weight back. I personally don't think Keto/low carb is nearly as healthy as eating Mediterranean style.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    MammaC66 wrote: »
    You can lose weight on either one as long as you are in a calorie deficit, but if you want a healthy way of eating that you can eat a variety of good foods and stick with for the long haul, I recommend the Mediterranean Diet. My husband's cardiologist recommended it to us. It is not really a diet as we think of a diet, but a healthy way of eating. I have done Keto in the past and lost weight, but I wouldn't do it again. It was not sustainable for me and I gained the weight back. I personally don't think Keto/low carb is nearly as healthy as eating Mediterranean style.

with any way of eating if you go back to eating more than you burn you will gain the weight back.once you lose the weight you have to find a way to maintain that new weight if you cant you will gain weight back.

This is where most diets have trouble. It's the maintaining that gets you.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

with any way of eating if you go back to eating more than you burn you will gain the weight back.once you lose the weight you have to find a way to maintain that new weight if you cant you will gain weight back.

doesnt matter which "diet' it is if you dont know how to mantain your weight you are going to gain it back. some people think once they lose they wont gain it back,thats where they are wrong. its not most diets its all diets as you can gain weight on any way of eating.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options

doesnt matter which "diet' it is if you dont know how to mantain your weight you are going to gain it back. some people think once they lose they wont gain it back,thats where they are wrong. its not most diets its all diets as you can gain weight on any way of eating.

No statistics to back this up but I would guess that more than 50% of dieters gain it back. This goes for any diet. I think the key is to develop a new way of eating.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

No statistics to back this up but I would guess that more than 50% of dieters gain it back. This goes for any diet. I think the key is to develop a new way of eating.

there are many many studies out there to look up proving this. but yes most people do gain it back. I was in the camp years ago that thought if I lose it it will stay off. I learned that the hard way. There are studies proving that one diet is not any better in the long term.
  • MammaC66
    MammaC66 Posts: 135 Member
    Options

That's true, and I should have had a better plan in place for maintaining, because a ketogenic diet is to restricting and not something I could stick to for an extended period of time. The Mediterranean way of eating is much more sustainable for me, and is very healthy since it is a mix of lots of veggies, fruits, whole grains, healthy oils and lean protein sources.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

That's true, and I should have had a better plan in place for maintaining, because a ketogenic diet is to restricting and not something I could stick to for an extended period of time. The Mediterranean way of eating is much more sustainable for me, and is very healthy since it is a mix of lots of veggies, fruits, whole grains, healthy oils and lean protein sources.

whats sustainable for a person and helps them lose/control their weight is the best way of eating for them. I cant do keto. I have to watch my fats even the healthy ones.