Is it worth it to weight train only 2 days a week?

2»

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    "Is it worth it to weight train only 2 days a week?"
    Definitely yes.

But don't do this "I was going to alternate upper body/lower body+abs on each gym session."
    That's hitting each muscle group just once a week so just one cycle of stress/overload, recovery/growth per week. Full body twice a week gives each muscle group two cycles instead of one.

I don't want to hijack this thus thread but do have a question related to this comment. I recently switched from SL 5x5 to a 4 day split (BB LIIFT4). Most 4 day splits Including this one hit each muscle group only once a week. I'm trying to understand how/why this works. Thanks for any insight you can share.
    @lorrpb
    I have no idea what that program comprises of (appears to be both HIIT and lifting?) or what the goals of yourself and that program are so hard to comment. Is it a good fit for your capabilities and lifting experience? "Works" in what way?
    Can you (not someone else remember) hit each muscle group hard enough in just one session a week to make strength or hypertrophy improvements, if that's your goal(s)?

From the synopsis "LIIFT4 combines heavy lifting and intense cardio to transform your body in 4 days a week. And with 32 unique, real-time workouts, you’ll never get bored, because you’ll never do the same one twice." it's ticking a load of BS bingo items for me - sorry!

It’s something I thought I would try to switch things up. I agree there are a lot of buzz words which I’ve tried to sort through/overlook. I looked at other 4 day splits in the MFP thread and they all seem to be similar splits, each body part 1x week.
    In LIiFT 4 there are 4 lifts per body part, 3 sets x 10 reps. 1-2 body area per day: chest/tri, back/bi, shoulders, legs. Leg day has 8 lifts I believe. There is 15-30 sec rest between sets which are done as circuit.
    HIIT is in addition to these lifts.
    My basic question is that most 4 day splits do each body area 1/wk, so how is that adequate?

If you think you (that's a personal you and not a generic you) will get adequate weekly volume and intensity from just one session per muscle group per week then go for it - personally I very much doubt it.

I can't overlook the buzzwords, 32 different workouts sounds complete cobblers to me!
    If you want a 4 day split I would do a more traditional and logical one, upper/lower might suit you - @middlehaitch (as usual) makes a good point about fitting in your other exercise commitments.

But try it if you like - take a baseline, record your progress, retest at the end and you will know if it works for you.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    "Is it worth it to weight train only 2 days a week?"
    Definitely yes.

But don't do this "I was going to alternate upper body/lower body+abs on each gym session."
    That's hitting each muscle group just once a week so just one cycle of stress/overload, recovery/growth per week. Full body twice a week gives each muscle group two cycles instead of one.

I don't want to hijack this thus thread but do have a question related to this comment. I recently switched from SL 5x5 to a 4 day split (BB LIIFT4). Most 4 day splits Including this one hit each muscle group only once a week. I'm trying to understand how/why this works. Thanks for any insight you can share.
    @lorrpb
    I have no idea what that program comprises of (appears to be both HIIT and lifting?) or what the goals of yourself and that program are so hard to comment. Is it a good fit for your capabilities and lifting experience? "Works" in what way?
    Can you (not someone else remember) hit each muscle group hard enough in just one session a week to make strength or hypertrophy improvements, if that's your goal(s)?

From the synopsis "LIIFT4 combines heavy lifting and intense cardio to transform your body in 4 days a week. And with 32 unique, real-time workouts, you’ll never get bored, because you’ll never do the same one twice." it's ticking a load of BS bingo items for me - sorry!

It’s something I thought I would try to switch things up. I agree there are a lot of buzz words which I’ve tried to sort through/overlook. I looked at other 4 day splits in the MFP thread and they all seem to be similar splits, each body part 1x week.
    In LIiFT 4 there are 4 lifts per body part, 3 sets x 10 reps. 1-2 body area per day: chest/tri, back/bi, shoulders, legs. Leg day has 8 lifts I believe. There is 15-30 sec rest between sets which are done as circuit.
    HIIT is in addition to these lifts.
    My basic question is that most 4 day splits do each body area 1/wk, so how is that adequate?

If you think you (that's a personal you and not a generic you) will get adequate weekly volume and intensity from just one session per muscle group per week then go for it - personally I very much doubt it.

I can't overlook the buzzwords, 32 different workouts sounds complete cobblers to me!
    If you want a 4 day split I would do a more traditional and logical one, upper/lower might suit you - @middlehaitch (as usual) makes a good point about fitting in your other exercise commitments.

But try it if you like - take a baseline, record your progress, retest at the end and you will know if it works for you.

It's 32 separate videos, but 4 basic lifting sequences repeated each week. The HIIT portion varies a little more. I appreciate the perspective on volume and intensity.