How exactly do muscle gainers get 100+ grams of animal protein a day without being rich?

According to calculations and what I've read, I should be getting at least 120 grams of protein a day, primarily from animal sources.

For lean non-red meats, that is the equivalent of roughly 1 lb of meat a day (e.g. chicken breast, etc.). I recently cooked 4 lbs of chicken breast and it lasts about 5 days. And I just finished a batch of 3 lbs of turkey, which would only last another 4 days at most...

I have an incredibly hard time believing most people building muscle are able to cook 100% of their meals cost effectively. I am lucky to have access to a full kitchen with no roommates, I work from home most days so I can cook while on break, and have a very healthy salary. I believe this can't be true for majority of people...

Short of being rich enough to hire a personal chef or buy all your clean foods prepared, how do normal people get clean animal protein without going broke and spending hours each week cooking?

No one I have talked with about their muscle gains ever mentions the effort involved in eating and cooking the right foods. Am I overthinking this? Can you explain how you make it work? This is honestly more time consuming than the actual workouts.

Replies

• Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    I eat 180 to 200 grams of protein per day and only 25 grams comes from a protein shake after I lift, and my goal is cutting currently.

I have had no issues with the cost of things. Eggs are a great source of protein and cheap. I buy my chicken breasts from Sam's club which I can't remember the weight of it but I eat about 8 to 10 ozs a day and I can get 6 days out of it and its between $13 to $15 a pack. Comes out to $2 to $3 a day for lunch for the chicken. A dozen of eggs is maybe a $1 and I eat 2 dozen during the work week.

I also buy beef and other meats when its on sale and freeze a bunch. Make my own beef jerky, which is pretty much protein itself. Cottage cheese has alot of protein like 12 grams per 1/2 cup and relatively inexpensive. Don't know what else to tell you but if you are breaking the bank trying to eat, doing something wrong. Look at grocery ads for items that you need that are on sale to save money.

For time, use a crockpot. Buy whole turkeys and chickens or just the breasts with bone on, beef roasts, pork loins, stick it in while you are "at work" and its done and hot ready to eat when you come home. I meal prep on Saturday mornings for the work week and I am never in the kitchen past noon.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Think you are over-emphasising the importance animal sources part and animal sources doesn't just mean meat - eggs and dairy in all its forms are also derived from animals of course!

What do you mean by "clean" foods and "clean" protein? Both terms are pretty meaningless IMHO as they have a multitude of definitions by different people. Whey protein for example is a highly processed, not occurring in nature food - but also an excellent and inexpensive source of protein.

"Am I overthinking this?" - Yes, a lot.

I just eat my normal diet including meat, dairy, eggs, fish, beans, grains etc. etc. and keep a casual eye on my protein intake. Not a lot of effort or time consuming in the least.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,830 Member
    100 grams of my cottage cheese has 10 grams of protein.
    2 x 175 gram individual-serve yogurts have 16 grams of protein, in total.

That's 26 grams of protein right there, hardly even trying. 1/4 of the way there.
  • 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    I do find it fairly time consuming, I bulk buy and bulk cook so I order meat online every month or two and will cook large amounts at once to keep me going a few days - so will cook 6x200gm stuffed chicken breasts, plus some meatballs in the oven at the same time, plus maybe while I’m waiting cook up something on the stove top (burgers for instance or crack slaw or mince based pasta sauce or similar, maybe some steak as well). This will then last me a few days. Then rinse and repeat.
    It’s not cheap (nothing worth having ever is right?) and it does take time, but it’s manageable - best of luck x
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited October 2018
    You can cut down on your cooking time by using a slow cooker, just put some cheap cuts in there and let it do its thing, you don't have to stand there all day and watch it... the tougher and cheaper the meat the better. Protein is the most expensive thing it seems, I always have to resort to shakes. Even greek yogurt can be pricey.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Hunting for it

Jk...I wish! But just from different sources and it all adds up at the end of the day! Atleast for me....currently getting about 190-230 grams a day without trying to add it in intentionally. I eat 1-2 lbs of meat/ seafood a day, about 1lb of Greek yogurt a day, veggies have protein, I might make a protein cake or protein cereal...etc.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2018
    I’m on 130g of protein. I usually find it relatively easy to reach with a protein shake, canned tuna, white fish, chicken breast, cottage cheese, protein fluff, protein ice cream. The foods I just listed contain at least 150g.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,939 Member
    edited October 2018
    I spend about $150 a month on groceries/food. I eat approx 1800 calories per day with 100g of that protein. Greek yogurt, chicken, turkey, pork, beef, tuna, shrimp, sausage, eggs, milk, cheese, beans, whole grains, nuts, vegetables. It's not that hard and it's not that much protein.

I eat on average three meals per month out at a restaurant, and it's only things I can't make easily myself like fish and chips or fried chicken.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    I eat 100g and more protein daily as an ovo-lacto vegetarian, probably typically around half from dairy and eggs (mostly dairy), the rest from various plant sources, some complete, some incomplete. I don't perceive any great difficulty in maintaining or gaining strength/mass - I think I'm doing OK for a 62-year-old woman (though my distaste for weight training also limits my muscle mass gain, of course). When I do strength train, I seem to make reasonable gains for my demographic.

Dairy, egg, and plant sources can be pretty affordable. For the plant sources, a little attention to their amino acid profile, plus combining a variety through the day, is helpful and not that difficult. Animal-flesh proteins are a great thing nutritionally speaking, and smart shopping (or good hunting skills ;) ) can help with affordability, but other protein sources can be helpful as well.
  • fish9283
    fish9283 Posts: 25 Member
    Greek yogurt for breakfast, beans & grains for lunch, tuna or tofu for dinner.
  • Greek yogurt
    protien shakes
    4-8 oz ground beef/steak
    Cheese
    Eggs
    4-8oz Chicken/turkey
    4 oz salmon
    Cottage cheese
    Beef jerky

I'm not rich...my grocery bill for myself averages about $125 a week, and it could definitely be a lot less if ibdidnt eat so much salmon and steak.
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Protein powder. I use the naturally flavored one with Stevia from Gold Standard=whey. When you earn points, you get money off with the Vitamin Shoppe. About $5 every other canister. Each scoop 24 grams of protein. I buy chicken from the butcher at 10 lbs and cook it all up at once. $1.99 a pound boneless, skinless. I fill in with peanut butter and an addition here and there of something else.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    What the heck are you doing that you spend so much time cooking? I'm normal 8-5er and have an hour each way commute. I cook dinner most nights of the week...it takes like 15-20 minutes to throw some kind of protein on the grill and cook it. I'm not sure what "clean protein" means either. As cost goes, I prefer chicken thighs to breasts...they are cheaper and have more flavor...or I will buy a whole chicken and roast it. The pork tenderloins I buy at Costco are cheap. Flank steaks are cheap. Eggs are cheap. You can also get protein from other sources like legumes and lentils.

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Vegetarian, 133g of protein in my diary for today, only 14g of that is non-animal. If I can do it, a meat eater surely can.